Hsc textbooks (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Lets just say hypothetically that I have a photographic memory. I can memorise everything I read. In the subjects chemistry, physics and economics, can you guarantee that all of the answers for the exams will be somehow embedded in the textbooks. Essentially is the rote learner king in the hsc?

nightweaver066

HSC
I haven't done economics so i can't comment on that.

Even if you do remember everything, you have to be able to select specific bits of information required to answer questions, and do so in a specific way, otherwise you won't get the marks.

Although you may know everything, if you don't understand them, you won't be able to figure out how they could apply to various situations, disallowing you from "thinking outside the box".

Those conceptual questions & some calculations in physics and chemistry will also mess you up.

So no, the rote learner is not king in the HSC (for physics and chemistry in this case).

freeeeee

HSC
Hi, i did all 3 subjects u mentioned. Based on my experience, to really be successful wrote learning should be a prerequisite. You should already be a good wrote learner and train your memory to efficiently study all the textbook material according to dotpoints for chem and phys, and the general terms and definitions listed on eco syllabus.

That being said you also need to know how to apply the concepts you have learned and select the best pieces of information to answer the question as efficiently as possible, like nightweaver mentioned.

Textbooks i recommend for Chem are "conquering chemistry" and "surfing chemistry" the rest are crap IMO like Dotpoint and the school one i got handed which i forgot its name -.-
i purchased dotpoint chem for $6 off a 2011 school leaver and never used it all year.

For Phys, "Jacaranda" is key, i heard "In 2 Physic" is really good to, although i never used it, my friend from Ruse said it is good.

For Eco, " Tim Ridley" is my favourite, the "Bulmer Updated Economics" is more in depth and should be purchased later in the year when you have mastered the concepts, they are also released twice a year so u should purchase during the time before trials when they hav the budget discussion."Tim Dixon" is my school issue and it's probably very good to have side by side with Ridley when creating notes.

Anyways, try and get a copy of the textbooks above and use all of them to write your dotpoints for ea subject, gl all the best.

Bobbo1

HSC
Lets just say hypothetically that I have a photographic memory. I can memorise everything I read. In the subjects chemistry, physics and economics, can you guarantee that all of the answers for the exams will be somehow embedded in the textbooks. Essentially is the rote learner king in the hsc?
You'll max out at about 85 if you purely rote learn for those subjects. It's really about exam technique and mastering "HSC style" questions if you want to increase from this mark onwards...

starshine02

HSC
Maybe you should memorize questions and answers too. I think some understanding is important for calculation questions and it's always better to understand the content...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)