hsc speaking exam (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey! i'm currently in year 11 and contemplating doing french continuers for my hsc but i'm worried about the french speaking exam. what i was wondering was how hard is the exam and would someone at a reasonable french preliminary level be able to do ok in the hsc? i'm first in french at the moment and our class is really close in marks but i don't think we're at a very high level.
any help is greatly appreciated

*Baby-K*

HSC
Hey,
I am doing French and French Extension for my HSC this year. Regarding the speaking exam- yah it's stressful, yes it can be hard and most of all the examiners want to see depth in all your responses
ie Q- Have you ever been to France? A- Yes I have, I went there with my parents blah blah blah I find Paris breathtaking, my favorite part was the Eiffel Tower. I love parisian culture etc
Does that sort of give you an idea?
When you go to your exam, the examiners are extremely nice and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible. They start off with an 'easy' question like 'Talk to me about your family' then they will swing the conversation depending on where you take it. They have to ask a question on each topic so make sure you don't say it all out at once and then have nothing to say. I wouldn't suggest pre-learning the answers either because it's obvious and no one guarantees that the question will be the one you have learnt. I, personally find speaking the easiest part :)
I am coming 4th out of 6 in my class however I am 2nd in my extension class, primarily because the courses are different. Lately continuers have been focusing more on the depth of your response, gramma is still important though! I think you will be ok in the HSC, everyone can do well if you put the time into it. I am glad that I have a week and a half between one of my HSC exams and French and another week after that till Extension so for those 2 n half weeks I will be hammering gramma, depth (ideas), tenses and doing practice exams.
I have to tell you though- listening gets harder.
I think it's definately worth doing. Good luck!

HSC
thank you so much for the reply. i'm a little bit less worried now. i'm coming first in my continuers class at the moment but i find the speaking exams the most intimidating and stressful and i get really nervous before each one. It's a confidence thing i guess. anyway thanks for enlightening me about it and i hope i learn enough in the next year of learning french to be profficient in the hsc

*Baby-K*

HSC
You will be fine as long as you keep up with all of your homework/topics etc. Don't worry speaking is the exam most people get all worked up about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)