hsc related suicides, iv heard about 20 this year (1 Viewer)

sayuru

HSC
Does anyone know the exact number of suicides that have occured because of the hsc? i know that since 1996 there has been at least 110, it strikes me, that if the hsc was a "drug" the govt, media and whoever else that controls these type of things would have placed bans, placed jail sentences, criminalized and created alot of propaganda against it. The deaths related to hsc, are hushed up, any one know why? alot of people think that its not the hsc, but the whole pressure from the hinders the ability of those who suffer mental illness from recovering. Evidently im not a big supporter of the "higher school certificate"(who can memorize the most and regurgitate) and i strongly believe it should be revised or changed. 110 deaths over the last 8 years, im sure at least 3/4 of them could have been avoided if the hsc did not place such a burden on those people. Its funny how the board of studies(cowardly conservative bitches) hush up these issues.

username

HSC
Two things, if you cant handle the stress of the hsc then you shouldn't be alive, as harsh as that may sound. It really isn't stressful, all you have to do is realise that it is not the end of the world, also the fact that if you stress out for this, when you manage a business goodluck because times it by 100. As for the second pt, the two people that have committed suicide this year that i no of, did so because they were bi polar and not because of the hsc.

sayuru

HSC
u r stupid :p

username said:
Two things, if you cant handle the stress of the hsc then you shouldn't be alive, as harsh as that may sound. It really isn't stressful, all you have to do is realise that it is not the end of the world, also the fact that if you stress out for this, when you manage a business goodluck because times it by 100. As for the second pt, the two people that have committed suicide this year that i no of, did so because they were bi polar and not because of the hsc.

of course my no means is it be all end all, far from it but it stil does pressure people and it affects people from different backgrounds more than to most ppl. at our age we need time to figure out other things, we shud be given oppurtunity not forced to study untiringly for a stupid cause. and for your second part ppl with bi polar have a better change of treating their condition if they did not have to worry abt the hsc, one thing id like to ask, what are your hopres for the hsc "username"? i want to know if u urself have experianced depression or bi polar, cud u possibly even begin to understand what these people are going through, and if u have, then well done in getting over it, but some ppl arent as lucky, they need the chance to get over it themselves.

username

HSC
I certainly dont have bi polar, but have experienced depression. Its obviously not a good thing to experience but there are ways of getting out of it, people should just be open minded. Think of the hsc as an hurdle in life, something that you should be striving to overcome, if you think about suicide you are failing yourself.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Crikket said:
the pressure's not that big compared to the amount kids our age get in asian countries.

yeah a teacher was telling us about that..
..and about how it's pretty much the fathers' "duty" to provide for the family... if they lose their jobs they feel worthless..... some never go home, some commit suicide etc.... it's really sad :(

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
yeah. the competition is really fierce so all the kids study like crazy apparently. i have a friend in korea and apparently she doesn't get home unil 2 am because she goes to cram schools and stuff. lol, i would never be able to do that. thank god i live in australia :D

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Emotionally weak people.

My parents have had the nerve to tell me that they'd have no problem in kicking me out of home if I don't get over 90, and they MEAN IT. Long LONG story, and I know others have it worse....

BUT​

I don't mean to be a bitch but for the emotionally weak people, talk to your mates. Even someone you never talk to that seems like they'll listen.

They WILL listen!!

I'm not saying that I had suicidal thoughts, but I felt like giving up on school etc, just everything for some reason. But talking to your mates is the best advice I can give.

Last edited:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
yeah, same, except for the whole kicking out of home thing :)
they told me i'd have to support myself though if i got less than 90 and wanted to go to uni.
hope you got over 90 ur_inner_child :)

spooky's.gal

HSC
Crikket said:
the pressure's not that big compared to the amount kids our age get in asian countries.
yeah i heard about that too.
ive also been told that in some parts of the usa their hsc thing is pretty much just multiple choice etc. dont yell at me if thats wrong, im quoting an unreliable source.

up until this yr i always heard about hsc related suicides and thought jeez get over it, it cant be *that* bad. now that ive had to experience it i can see how so many people can become so incredibly disheartened that they end up contemplating suicide. although ive never reached that point myself, which i am very grateful for, i now understand how the hsc can start heading kids, who are already troubled or whatever, in that direction. its very sad.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
holy crap i never realised how high the suicide rate was for year 12 students over the past decade. 110? christ, 1 is too many in my opinion. This truly is a reflection of how imperfect the system really is at the moment. I know it is nowhere near as bad as some other countries (i heard that in south korea there is one single exam you sit and if you fuck it there is no way to get into uni), but that doesn't mean that the so called "hushing up" of youth/HSC related suicides can be justified. I just hope BOS and the state government will be able to pull their finger out over this one...

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i don't know, i am agreing with username and ur inner child.
people just choose the wrong way to deal with situations.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
and smegthehead, south koreans do have only one exam for each subject all on one day, but unlike us, they have the option of studying for another year and doing their final exam again, so that they can get another chance to get into the uni they want.
i still wouldn't :p

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
Crikket said:
i don't know, i am agreing with username and ur inner child.
people just choose the wrong way to deal with situations.
i agree with username and ur inner child as well, but when you consider the fact that the deathtoll is that high, you'd think that higher authorities could do something to prevent it. Awareness after all could make a huge difference. If you remember the huge youth suicide awareness campaign launched around 2000-2001, it brought issues akin to these into the spotlight, and hence, the rising youth suicide rates of the 1990's are now beginning to drop.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
Crikket said:
and smegthehead, south koreans do have only one exam for each subject all on one day, but unlike us, they have the option of studying for another year and doing their final exam again, so that they can get another chance to get into the uni they want.
i still wouldn't :p
well then i guess my dad's korean mates were embellishing the truth a bit :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It is pretty tough doing the HSC when ur 17 - 18 cause thats the stage in ur life which you are going to be the most mentally unstable.

People dont know how to deal with their situations cause: they don't know who to speak to and the services which are available are not promoted and not adequately funded.

spooky's.gal

HSC
what about self image?
i know a girl who totally lost it, ended up dropping out in term2 yr12 coz she was having so much trouble but didnt speak up til it was too late. she didnt say anything coz she 'didnt want to look like she couldnt handle it when everyone else could'.

rav

The high suicide rates coinciding with the HSC would be contributed to by a number of things.

Firstly, the stress of the HSC, which obviously varies between individuals. Some people have insane amounts of pressure from their families to do well. Others want very high marks for law/medicine/whatever as well as scholarships which are for some the only acceptable way. Some people even feel that the HSC is a test of their worth, strangely enough some people place importance where it really doesnt belong, thinking that if they cant succeed in the HSC they arent smart or are too lazy.

Secondly, the age at which we sit for the HSC is never a dull one, 17-18 is THE coming of age, and though you may repeat and sit the HSC again you will never be a child again. Hormones and emotions are still flying all over the place but the 'responsibility' of adulthood is placed on you reguardless, you are expected to drive and vote and get a job and be mature... blah blah blah.

For the people that did commit suicide i dont think its fair to say they are emotionally weak, they simply made the wrong decision at the wrong time, and though some of us have felt depression too we still can never really know how they felt at that time.

Thats just my layperson's take on it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The post-exam anxiety is probably greater than the actual hsc I think. Right up to the moment the uac site is loading, with the litle blue bar steadily growing, about to unlock the entire direction of your life --*heavy breathing*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)