• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC question (1 Viewer)

raymes

HSC
HSC question 23) a) iii) [can be found at http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2002exams/pdf_doc/software_design_dev_02.pdf

There are three classes of messages involved with the operation of this
ticketing system. These messages are passed from the remote terminals
to the main module.
What is the data type of each message class?

if you look at the algorithm, this question seems confusing since they use the term 'class'. correct me if im wrong, but theyre not actually reffering to classes in terms of programming are they, but they mean TYPES of messages. after all, a class in programming doesnt have a data type

i believe the three tpyes of messages they are referring to are:
  • systemdate
  • systemtime; and
  • message header

correct me if im wrong with the above.

the data type of each of these then becomes an issue. messageheader is simply a string. what data type is used for storing dates and times?

Last edited:
HSC
message header = string

event name = string

number tickets sold = integer

system status = string

event date = date

raymes

HSC
dastonecutters said:
message header = string

event name = string

system status = string

event date = date
somehow i think ur wrong since it specifically asks for 3 classes of messages.

SamD

HSC
N/A
I agree that the term 'class' is misleading, in fact the whole algorithm is a total mess. I suppose they do ask for errors to be identified in (a)(iv) so maybe it's excusable.

Anyway to my mind the intention of 23(a)(iii) is still pretty clear, as the question leads you to the answer by stating that 'These messages are passed from remote terminals to the main module'. There are 3 types of messages recieved from remote terminals: EVENT, TICKET and one to halt processing.

- EVENT messages are records with 6 fields namely, EventName, EventDate, EventTime, EventLocation, EventTicketsAvailable, EventNumber
- TICKET messages are records with 5 fields namely, TicketEventNumber, TicketEventName, NumberTicketsSold, TicketEventData, TicketEventTime
- An end of processing message. Currently all messages that do not have a TICKET header cause the system to turn off. This problem would have been corrected in (a)(ii) and presumably a TURNOFF or similar message would have been created. There is no detail in regard to its data type, but it is reasonable to presume a username and password field would be needed to identify the supervisor.

You could try to guess the datatype of each field, but I doubt this was needed for 2 marks.

HTH
Sam

HSC
well i got those answers from the 2002 standards package... and they were band 5/6 answers from q21 that i got them out of so that means they got like 18 19 20 marks from that question.... and i copied them all in the three examples... if u have a problem with the exam y not jus ask you teacher.... im sure he/she will be able to answer them and probably even have the standards....

SamD

HSC
N/A
dastonecutters said:
well i got those answers from the 2002 standards package...
If true then that's a major concern. I don't have the 2002 standards package at hand but I'll check!
dastonecutters said:
and they were band 5/6 answers from q21 that i got them out of so that means they got like 18 19 20 marks from that question.... and i copied them all in the three examples... ....
Actually it's question 23. If students got 18,19 or 20 for the answer you quoted then clearly no students had any idea what the question was asking!

The answer you quoted is not just poor it is WRONG. And if it is in the standards package as a band 5/6 answer then the standards package is also wrong.

HTH
Sam

HSC
um no as my teacher makred the question and all were acceptable... i got that from a colection of the three sample answers.... so not jus one person had all of them... should of specified

ohh yes 23 i made a mistake

Last edited:

raymes

HSC
im tending to agree with samd here...
hang on a sec! its sam davis himself...is it not?

did u get my email on operational feasability?

raymes

HSC
also, if what stoney is right, im thinking they realised what a shitty question it was in the marking centre and accepted any variables as long as a correct data type was given?

SamD

HSC
N/A
dastonecutters said:
message header = string

event name = string

system status = string

event date = date
Perhaps these are merely some of the data types that were acceptable answers for fields within each message. They are certainly NOT examples of messages.

HTH
Sam

SamD

HSC
N/A
I suspect your question was in regard to my treatment of feasibility studies compared some other texts. My text considers the feasibility of actually developing the solution, ie Can the software be produced? In this context operational feasibility refers to the ability of the developers to actually create the software. I am aware that other texts consider operational feasibility in terms of when the final solution is installed, which is OK too...

Does this help?

Sam

raymes

HSC
oh ok well i emailed u using one of the addresses on ur website, musnt have worked

no - all your definitions of feasabiloity seem really logical to me but..

i just wanted to tell you that it seems your definition of operational feasability is wrong (in terms of what the BOS wants) - i dont know if you will agree. i was doing some past hsc multiple choice questions and i came across one, the exact question and number i cant remember now but it was on the BOS site, which asked something to the effect of 'which type of feasability was most affected by the end users experience' and the answer was operational feasability. after cross referencing with my excel text book (which is very shit, but does have some good points here or there), it gives the definition as:

"the aim of determining the operational feasability is to analyse whether the solution will be useable by the target customer. the users of a software solution being produced must be able to effectivel use or operate the program. it is often necessary to train the users to enable the solution to be operationally feasible"....and it goes on

this seems more in line with the MC question i came across

so i dont know if u do revisions of ur book, or if u even think this definition is more correct but i just wanted to let you know

most of your book is excellent, its my main study resource so congratulations with that

SamD

HSC
N/A
Emails from the site often are not forwarded or take some time to forward.

The next revision of my text (which is a few years off) will include both views of operational feasibility. The question you mention refers to 'users experience' hence implying the Excel definition. However they could equally ask a questions in regard to the operational feasibility of developing a solution. To my mind both descriptions are needed.

By the way, defintely do the past HSC papers, but don't take the published answers as the gospel truth (Although its a bit difficult not to with multi choice). Every year there are issues with many questions (in many papers) that can be answered in many ways. Fortunately the marking process is sound and thorough, hence you do get marks if your response has merit.

HTH
Sam

raymes

HSC
fewf that does serve as a relief. just hope the BOS tries to be more concise in their exams. sometimes i wonder if they even know the answer to the questions when they set them

SamD

HSC
N/A
The examiners know the answers to the questions they think they asked. Its just that often various different (and often legitimate) interpretations don't emerge until marking. I guess its a function of the BOS's security, they can't have too many people looking over the exams beforehand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)