HSC Plus scheme! please help (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys, i heard about this 'hsc plus' scheme that unsw offers, which gives you a maximum of 5 bonus points to your atar depending on how you went in specific subjects in the hsc
anyways, im gonna give a scenario to explain my question:

there are two people who want to get into a course with a cut off of 97

okay so person 1 gets an atar of 94

and she recieved 5 bonus points by getting a band 6 in biology (3 points) and band 6 in english advanced (2 points)
therefore her atar gets pulled up to 99

however, person 2 gets an atar of 97

my question is, would person 1 be disadvantaged in getting selected because her initial atar was lower than the course cut off? or would both be considered for the course equally ?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
No, they will both get into the course.

Edit:For simplicity if the course has an ATAR cut-off of 95. Person A received an ATAR of 94. Person B obtained an ATAR of 90. Person B undertook subjects that are considered in the UNSW bonus scheme and accumulating an extra 5 points. Person B would be accepted over Person A, despite having the initial higher ATAR.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
hey guys, i heard about this 'hsc plus' scheme that unsw offers, which gives you a maximum of 5 bonus points to your atar depending on how you went in specific subjects in the hsc

and she recieved 5 bonus points by getting a band 6 in biology (3 points) and band 6 in english advanced (2 points)

my question is, would person 1 be disadvantaged in getting selected because her initial atar was lower than the course cut off? or would both be considered for the course equally ?
I think they'll give an offer to person 2 first and all these ppl with ATAR>=97 simply because their ATARs are higher than/equal to the cut-off
And then if they have vacancies, they'll give offers to ppl like person A.

But again, these ppl with bonus points are competing against each other as well, so it's very unlikely that some one with 92 ATAR with 5 bonus points will get an offer for a course with 97 cut-off.

An easier way to figure out the approximate minimum ATAR you'll need for your course would probably be naming the course you're interested in and
hopefully some one knows about the lowest ATAR needed for it

FINAL-TIP : you can always transfer after 1st year

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think they'll give an offer to person 2 first and all these ppl with ATAR>=97 simply because their ATARs are higher than/equal to the cut-off
And then if they have vacancies, they'll give offers to ppl like person A.
No they would give it to person 1 first.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I got 91.70, and my course cutoff was 96.70.

My five bonus points for maths and english got me in. So just get within the number of bonus points you think you can achieve.

HSC

My five bonus points for maths and english got me in. So just get within the number of bonus points you think you can achieve.

awww really? congrats!
may i ask which course you got into?

funnytomato

HSC

It depends on the popularity of the course a lot, which is why I asked OP to name the course she's interested in.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
awww really? congrats!
may i ask which course you got into?
I got into B Commerce. Which is a pretty popular course, cos they have like 700ish people starting the degree each year...

As long as your ATAR + any bonus points is greater than or equal to the published cutoff, you'll get in.

K4M1N3

HSC
I wanna get into medical science at unsw :) it seems really interesting!
Yeah, med science does look like an interesting course, but i got some advice from the head pathologist in wollongong, and she said that med science doesnt provide many prospects for a male student, so i was pretty devo...

HSC
Yeah, med science does look like an interesting course, but i got some advice from the head pathologist in wollongong, and she said that med science doesnt provide many prospects for a male student, so i was pretty devo...
employers shouldn't be discriminating against gender.. i wonder why though?

K4M1N3

HSC
Yeah i thought the same thing, i dont see how med science is an occupation where gender variation has much impact on the work done.

HSC
Yeah i thought the same thing, i dont see how med science is an occupation where gender variation has much impact on the work done.
maybe the head pathologist is sexist. but in my opinion, i don't think you should worry, just do what you love; someone's ought to realise your passion for it

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I got into B Commerce. Which is a pretty popular course, cos they have like 700ish people starting the degree each year...

As long as your ATAR + any bonus points is greater than or equal to the published cutoff, you'll get in.
+1 /thread

twistedrebel

HSC
i know someone with 84ish atar doing med sci. He got subject bonus points, EAS points and i dunno but yeah.

funnytomato

HSC
i know someone with 84ish atar doing med sci. He got subject bonus points, EAS points and i dunno but yeah.
which uni are uni talking about ?
cos I'm under impression that for UNSW or USYD, you can only have as many as 5 points , no matter where they come from

HSC
N/A

AFAIK they don't split students with the same "after bonus" scores. It doesn't matter how you got that score, only what the final "after bonus atar" is.

Every course has a number of students they would like to have. If that was 100, then they will send out offers to about 140 students in the expectation that that some will decline the offer. But given the uncertainty in all that, they won't bother fussing about trying to choose between the 3 students who want to do that course and who all got 94.75. Either they all get an offer, or none.

(there are of course a few exceptions like the medicine degree which don't just go on the atar!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)