HSC Physics Textbook Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

iheartOJ

HSC
I currently have the Jacaranda Physics 2 but I'm interested in purchasing an additional textbook. Any recommendations? :)

DamTameNaken

HSC
My school uses the in2physics textbook but I managed to find the 'physics in focus' textbook second hand.

In2physics has great explanations but its questions either don't exist or are completely irrelevant to the syllabus. If I was studying physics in my spare time for fun this would be the book i'd use. EDIT: Clarification of that last statement; In2physics gives interesting information and snippets that don't answer the syllabus content and there's no way of knowing within the textbook which information is relevant and which isn't.

'Physics in focus' is a much better study aid, its categorized by dotpoints and has an abundance of practice questions, with full answers on the CD (which is more than in2physics has). During the process of it being written it was edited with students in mind and often you'll see paragraphs saying what most students tend to be confused by and how to answer questions that are likely to come up.

I also have 'Physics in context' lying around, do not buy this. It's hard to read, the layout is bland, and the explanations aren't clear. Also in the 'astrophysics' option section several parts of the syllabus go unanswered.
From what I've heard Jacaranda physics has very good explanations. Considering this I'd go with the 'physics in focus' textbook as the best supplementary textbook.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry about questions in a textbook - just look for ones with good explanations and accurate information. Many questions can be found from lots of other sources.

HSC
Physics in Focus + Jacaranda 2 will put you in good stead!

Don't even look at Macmillan, that piece of shiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)