HSC Moderation - How it works (1 Viewer)

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Hi,
This is my perception of the HSC moderation process. Post up your own opinions as to how you think (or know) it works.

School rank isn't directly considered. i.e. ur school is ranked 30th so we'll moderate you more. The way it works is that higher ranked school's have a cohort who perform well in the hsc.

E.g. Scenario: let us say the top mark in james ruse was 50% (school assesment), yet in their hsc's they got 99's/100's. That school assesment mark of 50% would most likely increase to the very high 90's.

Why? - In James Ruse the whole cohort will be have school assesment marks <50% (as we are assuming the top mark is 50%). Yet in the HSC, the james ruse cohort will perform very well i.e. 90's. This shows that their school exam was very hard but yet in a state level they are extremely good.

Thus the total pool of hsc marks for james ruse will then be used to moderate their school assement mark.

In a lower ranked school, e.g. 300 the cohort will not perform as well in their hsc. Thus their total pool of hsc marks will be lower then a higher ranking school. This may have the effect of moderating down school assesment marks as even though the average school mark may be 98% in a rank 300 school, due to the lower performance of the school in the hsc, this will 'show' that the school's test are easy compared to a state level and thus they should be moderated down to bring it to state level, so all school's can be compared equally.

That is why it is said, you have to work together for the hsc! If the whole school does well in the hsc, your school will have a greater pool of hsc marks and so your school assesment marks will moderate up.

A swapping process essentially occurs to do this where the person who comes first in the school will get the hsc mark of the person who comes first in the hsc (in their school) as their school mark. For rankings other than 1, i am not sure. I have heard that this 'swapping' process occurs right down from position first to last. Yet, I have also have heard this only happens to first and last and then for the ranks in between they try and maintain the same ratio of difference between school asses. marks for redistribution in moderation.

This is why it is said, ranks matter not you actual school mark.

This is just my perception of how the moderation process works and is by no means accurate or correct. There is also a very good explanation that you can view here: Moderating HSC Marks

Advice: Try and attain the best rank possible in your school. Do well in the hsc, and help your peers do well.

Good Luck! =D

Last edited:

absorber

HSC
As far as I can tell I agree with all that, but why did you post this?

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
Hi,
This is my perception of the HSC moderation process. Post up your own opinions as to how you think (or know) it works.

School rank isn't directly considered. i.e. ur school is ranked 30th so we'll moderate you more. The way it works is that higher ranked school's have a cohort who perform well in the hsc.

E.g. Scenario: let us say the top mark in james ruse was 50% (school assesment), yet in their hsc's they got 99's/100's. That school assesment mark of 50% would most likely increase to the very high 90's.

Why? - In James Ruse the whole cohort will be have school assesment marks <50% (as we are assuming the top mark is 50%). Yet in the HSC, the james ruse cohort will perform very well i.e. 90's. This shows that their school exam was very hard but yet in a state level they are extremely good.

Thus the total pool of hsc marks for james ruse will then be used to moderate their school assement mark.

In a lower ranked school, e.g. 300 the cohort will not perform as well in their hsc. Thus their total pool of hsc marks will be lower then a higher ranking school. This may have the effect of moderating down school assesment marks as even though the average school mark may be 98% in a rank 300 school, due to the lower performance of the school in the hsc, this will 'show' that the school's test are easy compared to a state level and thus they should be moderated down to bring it to state level, so all school's can be compared equally.

That is why it is said, you have to work together for the hsc! If the whole school does well in the hsc, your school will have a greater pool of hsc marks and so your school assesment marks will moderate up.

A swapping process essentially occurs to do this where the person who comes first in the school will get the hsc mark of the person who comes first in the hsc (in their school) as their school mark. For rankings other than 1, i am not sure. I have heard that this 'swapping' process occurs right down from position first to last. Yet, I have also have heard this only happens to first and last and then for the ranks in between they try and maintain the same ratio of difference between school asses. marks for redistribution in moderation.

This is why it is said, ranks matter not you actual school mark.

This is just my perception of how the moderation process works and is by no means accurate or correct. There is also a very good explanation that you can view here: Moderating HSC Marks

Advice: Try and attain the best rank possible in your school. Do well in the hsc, and help your peers do well.

Good Luck! =D
that is a pretty big jump from 50% to 99%!

y don't u use relaistic marks maybe from 50% to 70% would be a little mare relalistic.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
y don't u use relaistic marks maybe from 50% to 70% would be a little mare relalistic.
I used that to highlight that it is the performance of the cohort in the hsc that matters and not your school assesment mark but your school rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)