HSC marks (1 Viewer)

chardzard

HSC
Currently, I'm doing pretty badly in my courses and I'm not sure what to do, I'm barely maintaining a 50% in math advanced and the most recent test has brought that down further as I failed the prelim. currently id say I'm maintaining about 45ish % in math advanced but I think I can do better, a around 60% in business studies, around a 70-80% in economics, a 75ish percent in English standard and around a 50% in physics, what should I do as I already am thinking of dropping Engineering studies as it is not interesting to me and I've barely passed all tests and at about 50% in that course as well. I want to know if there's a way to switch this all around within the year I've got in year 12 and if possible get above a 90 atar and if so what should I do.

carrotsss

HSC
A 90 ATAR is absolutely still within reach, but you will have to put in a bit more effort in year 12 - what have your study method been this year?

In terms of dropping subjects I’d just recommend dropping the one you enjoy the least, but once you drop a subject you’re locked in with that, you can’t change it later on in the year if that’s what you’re asking.

chardzard

HSC
There is definitely always a possibility to turn things around in Year 12, however, just to grasp my head around the situation, did you study for Prelims and make a serious attempt? Or did you wing it?
I tried to study but I couldn't concentrate and barely got maybe a week worths of study done

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Currently, I'm doing pretty badly in my courses and I'm not sure what to do, I'm barely maintaining a 50% in math advanced and the most recent test has brought that down further as I failed the prelim. currently id say I'm maintaining about 45ish % in math advanced but I think I can do better, a around 60% in business studies, around a 70-80% in economics, a 75ish percent in English standard and around a 50% in physics, what should I do as I already am thinking of dropping Engineering studies as it is not interesting to me and I've barely passed all tests and at about 50% in that course as well. I want to know if there's a way to switch this all around within the year I've got in year 12 and if possible get above a 90 atar and if so what should I do.
for math just go over the stuff ur weak at and do past papers

if u need help for business i can help 🤩

chardzard

HSC
A 90 ATAR is absolutely still within reach, but you will have to put in a bit more effort in year 12 - what have your study method been this year?

In terms of dropping subjects I’d just recommend dropping the one you enjoy the least, but once you drop a subject you’re locked in with that, you can’t change it later on in the year if that’s what you’re asking.
My study methods were to use the pomodora timer to study and went over my class notes whilst doing past papers but I think the problem was that I did a lot of past papers more than studying textbook questions and understanding it, I have only got back 3 of my exam results being business math and engineering in which I did alright in business, passed engineering and have to resit math but I believe that's because I didn't put as much effort as needed in that sections whilst more focused on things such as physics and business etc.

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
I tried to study but I couldn't concentrate and barely got maybe a week worths of study done
If you're aiming for an ATAR of 90, I definitely agree with @carrotsss, it's still in reach, but it comes with effort and you need to put the work in. Year 12, unfortunately, is not something you can "wing."

In terms of being unable to concentrate, if that comes down to distractions, then you'll need to take it upon yourself to eliminate them. Maybe your approach towards study isn't the right one.

Like I said, a comeback is definitely possible within one year, but it comes down to you in the end. If you're not willing to put in the effort, especially to improve, it will not lead to your goal ATAR of 90.

If your teachers are helpful/supportive, maybe it's also worthwhile speaking with them and asking for help, OR, if you can trust those that did well in your courses, you could speak with them (although, they might gatekeep lol).

chardzard

HSC
Ive also dropped all my extra time consuming things such as gym and movies or hanging out often with friends and only other thing I got after school is mainly work and then study

chardzard

HSC
I also need a bit of help in physics mainly as it is a harder subject for me, my sister is tutoring me in math advanced as she almost got band 6 in both extension 1 and 2

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
My study methods were to use the pomodora timer to study and went over my class notes whilst doing past papers but I think the problem was that I did a lot of past papers more than studying textbook questions and understanding it, I have only got back 3 of my exam results being business math and engineering in which I did alright in business, passed engineering and have to resit math but I believe that's because I didn't put as much effort as needed in that sections whilst more focused on things such as physics and business etc.
A lot of people recommend "flowmodoro" rather than pomodoro, and as someone who has tried both, I agree.

There needs to be a balance with everything, yes, you might prioritise a few subjects over others every now and then, although, ultimately, a similar amount of effort needs to go into each.

I believe it was a mistake not understanding the content first, as from experience, understanding helps with everything overall. Past papers can teach you things, although they should also be used to highlight where your gaps of understanding are, indicating where your time needs to go.

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Ive also dropped all my extra time consuming things such as gym and movies or hanging out often with friends and only other thing I got after school is mainly work and then study
As someone who does that, it may be hypocritical of me to say, but DON'T GIVE UP THINGS THAT GIVE YOU A BREAK!!! It really will only lead to burnout or something along the lines of that.

As I said, balance is key and it's something I tell everyone aha.

If you've had to give up things like those, it probably also indicates there's something going on with your time management or your overall approach isn't right. There are people out there who have achieved a 90+ ATAR while maintaining a social life.

chardzard

HSC
As someone who does that, it may be hypocritical of me to say, but DON'T GIVE UP THINGS THAT GIVE YOU A BREAK!!! It really will only lead to burnout or something along the lines of that.

As I said, balance is key and it's something I tell everyone aha.

If you've had to give up things like those, it probably also indicates there's something going on with your time management or your overall approach isn't right. There are people out there who have achieved a 90+ ATAR while maintaining a social life.
Yeah I get that I just ain't go no motivation for things no more, maybe I'm a lil burnt out from cramming all my study in the last weekish and now I don't feel like doing much

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Yeah I get that I just ain't go no motivation for things no more, maybe I'm a lil burnt out from cramming all my study in the last weekish and now I don't feel like doing much
For me, I depended on motivation a lot to the point where I had none left. I then learned that self-discipline overpowers motivation.

If you have the discipline to study and to improve, you can do it! However, not discipline to the point where you study non-stop just to torture yourself. Just gotta remind yourself of what you're aiming for, how you'll get there and why it will be worth it in the end! (if you don't think it's worth it, then uh...)

What did you spend the school "holidays" doing? [quotation marks because holidays are really not holidays anymore ;-;]

itsalovehaterelo

HSC
hey for anyone who flopped prelims heres some advice. year 11 doesnt mean shit. i was ranking near the bottom of almost all my subjects in year 11, i didnt study once, and i honestly didnt care. first term of year 12 i decided to turn it around,
im currently ranked 4th out of 40 in economics, 3rd out of 50 in extension english, and near the top for most of my subjects at one of the top selective schools in the state.
the only subject where the stuff in year 11 matters is math. honestly, so many people who are going amazing after year 11 burn out. its not hard to climb your way to the top.

chardzard

HSC
For me, I depended on motivation a lot to the point where I had none left. I then learned that self-discipline overpowers motivation.

If you have the discipline to study and to improve, you can do it! However, not discipline to the point where you study non-stop just to torture yourself. Just gotta remind yourself of what you're aiming for, how you'll get there and why it will be worth it in the end! (if you don't think it's worth it, then uh...)

What did you spend the school "holidays" doing? [quotation marks because holidays are really not holidays anymore ;-;]
I ain't gonna lie I spent the first week sleeping and going out and the second week I started to slowly start studying a bit more

carrotsss

HSC
I ain't gonna lie I spent the first week sleeping and going out and the second week I started to slowly start studying a bit more
That’s not really the end of the world, I didn’t do a jot of study in those holidays last year because I went overseas and I still turned out fine

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Yep there's definitely a way to switch it around, you just have to study. So for English start getting an idea of essay questions, short answer, creatives/discursives and getting a really deep understanding of texts. Maths subjects try and go a few dotpoints ahead of your class (really isn't too difficult, use a combination of textbook/YouTube (eddie woo is probs best) and practice questions so that when you go over it in class its revision.

eco/business/physics idk I don't do that shit but you'll be fine

Your prelim marks don't impact you at all this year so just think of it as NESA giving you a second chance at all your courses and try your best to make the most of it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)