• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC marks and Examination marks (1 Viewer)

friction

HSC
But becasue i think it was so close i believe it goes off who goes better in the external. That is what i was told anyway. So yes they dont take equal places so they give the better place to whoever goes better in the external. That is what i was told anyway.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
bogdanovs said:
I'm pretty sure you can't be tied second in assessment marks. Only one of you will be second even if its by the smallest infinite decimel.

It makes sence because if you were equall second and one of you got HSC mark 95 and other got HSC mark 90, then they wouldnt know which mark to give to who?

Willing to be proven wrong.
Yes there can be a decimal that seperates equal first or second etc. but when teachers report the internal marks to BOS they must be a whole number (I think BOS don't take into account decimals anyway even when they are reported).

If there is a tie for second and roughly the 2nd and 3rd best exam marks are averaged and given to students who are equal second. They cannot give a moderated assessment mark of 95 to one equal second student and 90 to another - that will defeat the purpose of having a rank.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
friction said:
But becasue i think it was so close i believe it goes off who goes better in the external. That is what i was told anyway. So yes they dont take equal places so they give the better place to whoever goes better in the external. That is what i was told anyway.
No. The external HSC marks achieved by students cannot change the internal ranking achieved by a student in a school over the entire HSC year. When students achieve equal first, the moderated assessment mark will be the same for both individuals (and I've seen that happened before). I know it doesn't sound fair but if whoever "truly" deserves to come first, his/her exam mark will be higher than the other equally-ranked person, and hence, he/she will end up achieving a higher overall HSC mark anyway.

I hope this helps.

friction

HSC
It helps but its not what i want to hear. my teacher just then sent me an email saying that what i said was the case. I guess we will see in a couple of months how much it effects and which way it is. BTW i have looked at that link it didnt have anything about people tieing for a place and also i looked at the document and that how i came up with the special case thing. Which i think it would apply as my mark would not fit on the curve i dont think.

Thanks for the help. I dont know whether to believe my teacher or you but i think i will believe my teacher on the tied ranks thing (even though i think what you say is more logical) because thats what i want to believe it would be best for me so i will study.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

friction said:
Survivour the thing i looked at said if one of the marks dont fit on the curve for the class rankings then they will be a special case treated differently.

Also i was told, i dont know whether it is true, that with equal second whoever performs better on the external will be assumed to be second. I was outright second until the other guy scabbed marks which i probably could of done myself or stopped him doing but as i was told this i thought it doesnt matter.

They do this so it doesnt count all on the one test right so if you had a bad test it doesnt really matter. But i had a horrible trial i could not think at all in the test, and that is why i am equal second there is no safegaurding for having a bad test then. This is not cool, depressing infact. So should of done work.

On a number of occasions I have sent in equal places for students (including equal firsts).

In every case the students have recieved the same moderated assessment mark. Last year they averaged the top two exam marks and that was the moderated assessment mark for my equal firsts. I asked the BOSLO for my school about this earlier this year and was told that the BOS doesn't make assumptions but goes by the ranks we send in only as the way of determining the ranks. They will never change the internal ranks.

friction

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

Not really what i wanted to hear but thankyou.

omarast

HSC
what raw mark in bio wud get me over 75 in bio overall im just over average at it lol if that can be answered

danz90

HSC
omarast said:
what raw mark in bio wud get me over 75 in bio overall im just over average at it lol if that can be answered
high 60s out of 100

hamzie

HSC
friction said:
Would i maybe be left out as one of the "special cases" as in another document which i saw said this happens ??
whats this special case thing?

omarast

HSC
sweet thanx mate. is there a chart to see all theses or na?

if not one more question lol wat about 80+ in eco im third but ders 7ppl in the class

lionking1191

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

tommykins said:
i think the system is fair in terms of , it promotes hard work throughout the year - it doesn't allow the smart kids to bludge and just rip up the final exam.
if you can't manage your time properly you don't deserve to get a higher mark than those who can - uni courses really don't take much brains.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)