HSC markers kept like pigs in a pen (1 Viewer)

jessxxr

HSC
'Another marker with more than 10 years experience said: "Monday was a killer. People were exhausted. You looked at them and could see how physically drained they were. There is very limited ventilation and the heat gets to people."

'A former marker who is married to a current marker claimed the conditions were affecting peoples' ability to do the job'

this just seems stupid and unfair to whoever's stuff they're marking, obviously if people are exhausted and cranky they aren't going to be marking to the best of their ability. this worries me a lot since i do ancient history and could be marking my stuff :/ should i be worried?

HSC
'Another marker with more than 10 years experience said: "Monday was a killer. People were exhausted. You looked at them and could see how physically drained they were. There is very limited ventilation and the heat gets to people."

'A former marker who is married to a current marker claimed the conditions were affecting peoples' ability to do the job'

this just seems stupid and unfair to whoever's stuff they're marking, obviously if people are exhausted and cranky they aren't going to be marking to the best of their ability. this worries me a lot since i do ancient history and could be marking my stuff :/ should i be worried?
not really because everyones mark will be brought down

jessxxr

HSC
not really because everyones mark will be brought down
ohhh ok i see now, well that makes me feel a bit at ease
i was thinking that like each module got marked at one location, say for ancient history whoever did Minoans was marked at this pig shed, whereas people doing another society were marked at a nicer location, but yeahhh its good they're all marked together

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Even though the pay is good, I don't think the conditions are great for marking. They could at least get a portable AC in there never mind the pig smell.

Bobbo1

HSC
The subjects, or at least all the papers for a section of the paper, are all marked in the same place - e.g. all of the same part of English will be marked in the same venue so it won't matter which text you did for that section it will still be marked under the same conditions even though another part of the paper may be marked under different conditions - e.g. creative writing might be in air conditioned comfort while belonging might be in the cow shed at the showground.

The $75.00 an hour is after teaching all day - so it is over time rates. If they were marking during school time it is something like $67 for the day until 3.30 p.m.

Teachers might be complaining at their schools etc, even to each other, but they have had similar conditions for years, so just put up with it knowing it is only for a few weeks of the year and then they forget about it until they strike similar conditions the next year.
ohh, that's fair i guess

cheepy5

HSC
Its not just $67 -$75, they get food allowance (I think is was about $10 a day according to my teacher) and a travel allowance.

2011_

HSC
If they were in better conditions they would work faster and more effectively (ie. better concentration due to being comfortable = better marking) so I think it should be improved.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
More and more marking will be done at home over the next couple of years as more and more subjects move to online marking which means that the papers are scanned and the marker is at home.

As for the pig pen - it was no worse than the cattle sheds, horse sheds etc in which we have marked since I started marking in 1992. Sure I have marked in some better facilities but most have been like the pig pen.

Portable air conditioners really won't work as the space is huge not just in floor area but height.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I bet they're loving the pay for that. I'd put up with pig shit for that much cash, considering they just have to sit on their arse and tick some papers.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We do NOT tick any papers. We simply read and assign appropriate marks. We have to read every script and make sure that we read it properly so that kids get the marks they deserve. This year we were told at Modern History and I am sure at other subjects as well that we weren't to put any marks on the papers at all and of course those marked online couldn't make any marks either.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Haha. At least they're paid a decent $75.00 per hour while some of us cop with abuse from customers for $15/hour rather then the stench of animals and their waste. But I would not want to be in that situation ~ marking hundreds of papers in accordance to guidelines instead of our opinions plus the stench.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
We do NOT tick any papers. We simply read and assign appropriate marks. We have to read every script and make sure that we read it properly so that kids get the marks they deserve. This year we were told at Modern History and I am sure at other subjects as well that we weren't to put any marks on the papers at all and of course those marked online couldn't make any marks either.
In maths they did (obviously before online marking).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If I don't get the marks I want I should just bring up this article and blame the markers marking me down because of their poor conditions. Done.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
If I don't get the marks I want I should just bring up this article and blame the markers marking me down because of their poor conditions. Done.
You and a whole army of students LOL. Well you know what they say when one person has a sh*tty day... it gets passed on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)