hsc mark moderation question (1 Viewer)

bachelor

ok here's my scenario... I do standard english and I'm coming first and lets just say I keep this up all the way to the end of the year. My marks arent that flash.. i'm averaging about 80% for assessments and my school is doing fairly poorly (under state average i'm guessing). On top of that, scaling for standard english is hopeless. Will I get a decent scaled mark (70+) that goes towards my UAI ?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
if you are coming first and know that you are also going to come first in the HSC exam then your HSC exam mark will be your internal assessment mark.

as for scaling im not sure about that. just that it doesn't scale nearly as well as other subjects

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
well i dunno if this helps but,

i came first in standard in my school, with around 80% in assessment, my school is completely hopeless . i ended up getting 75 for both exam and assess in standard

So to answer your question, it is quite possible for you to get a mark of 70+

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
you mark for english will count towards uai no matter what

bachelor

ok fanks 4 ur reply guys

and for the 2 ppl that said they got a mark of 70's for english... are you referring to the HSC mark or actual scaled mark??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They would be referring to their aligned HSC mark, as no-one has any real knowledge of their scaled marks. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
And even the aligned HSC marks are scaled such that it would be hard to have an accurate idea of the raw marks.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
"An aligned mark refers to a mark after it has been measured up against course descriptors and has been aligned to the performance bands. They are a measure of what a student has achieved in terms of the standards of the course, and reveal nothing about a students performance in relation to their cohort. They cannot be compared between courses. All of the results reported on the HSC Record of Achievement are aligned marks (rounded to the nearest integer)."

What does it mean when it says 'measured up against course descriptors and has been aligned to the performance bands'

how has the marks been changed to call it aligned ?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
thanks for that.

how do you think a physics and chem raw mark of 75/100 be aligned to ?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
so math2u aligns pretty well :O
Well, last year it may have. It changes significantly every year... (the exam papers are different every year).

bachelor

well what i was referring to was.. you know the program lazseeker. If I typed in a hsc mark of 74 for the year 2001 in standard english.. i'd get a scaled mark of 60 or something...

if ppl had that same mark for last year what was their scaled mark.. or the 'board' doesn't tell you?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by bachelor
or the 'board' doesn't tell you?
Correct... though it's possible to approximate it... e.g. with the UAISeeker. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)