HSC life (1 Viewer)

albertcamus

HSC
The HSC is not about studying 10 hours a day. It is about managing teachers impressions and manipulating the little knowledge you know into a logical, compelling and sustained answer. That overrides any consistent study.
It's all perspective. I found that rather than getting angry at life, I would try and deal with it but now I've grown to become an apathetic person so maybe that's not a good idea. Sometimes you feel as though you have no motivation to do anything and you're waiting for it to come. So if you ever find yourself in that situation, you just have to get up and do it. JUST DO IT. The year will go quickly enough (in hindsight).
My motivation unfortunately drops, especially due to situations like the one Spiritual Being outlined.

Teachers really do get manipulated quite easily haha.

I kinda wished I picked no humanities besides Eco, would have been much easier...especially in a school without student numbers.

I don't see how an element of bias doesn't exist without student numbers.

Stupid shit like that - I kinda am pumped for uni for that reason too.

There's less overriding bullshit like this from what I hear -although there are group tasks and stuff hmmm...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Good news HSC isn't all it's cracked up to be at least many aspects of it. Most of the content for the sciences especially are either taught wrong or you won't see again (it will be more intuitive and insightful at Uni)

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I never got the impression that I had to please teachers to do well. It may have just been the school I went to. Therefore, Spiritual Being's comment didn't really ring true to me. Do you go to a school where teachers are extremely biased? I think you need to know what the internal and external markers want. For Ext 1 English, my teacher was quite subjective in her creative writing tastes. I know someone in my grade got a 29/50 for her internal Ext 2 English major work and 49/50 for her external, but even then, two or three internal teachers marked that so....

I still believe that you need to study hard (not 10 hours a day because that would be counter-productive for most people), but study hard and study smart. Consistent study is at the foundation of doing well.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Thank you for putting it that way, I feel better about myself now. lol
Now do you understand why i don't give a fuck about my atar? Meeting the atar cutoff is the aim, anything beyond that is just a bonus IMO.

Liv1712

HSC
I think I'm at the stage where you go insane...Is that even a stage? If not, it should be, haha.

I'm hating the HSC so far, but the good thing about it is that when it's over, it's OVER. >_< I can't wait for that moment when I finish my last exam...good result or not, I'll be glad to be rid of it >_<

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Does the word HSC pisses me off? Yea, especially when i think about my ranks..
Is it really that bad? No. It's actually the same as last year, going pretty smooth except that everyone's getting so much competitive...

Capt Rifle

HSC
Good news HSC isn't all it's cracked up to be at least many aspects of it. Most of the content for the sciences especially are either taught wrong or you won't see again (it will be more intuitive and insightful at Uni)
Now I hate it even more :(

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Guys, you need to know that HSC is over-rated and it really isn't THAT difficult as everyone makes it out to be - it feels hard because it's so hyped up to me. Take a step back and have a more objective perspective of the difficulty of HSC, it might be hard to see but afterwards, you'll see that it was just a bump.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Guys, you need to know that HSC is over-rated and it really isn't THAT difficult as everyone makes it out to be - it feels hard because it's so hyped up to me. Take a step back and have a more objective perspective of the difficulty of HSC, it might be hard to see but afterwards, you'll see that it was just a bump.
Yes I agree. Uni is a lot more difficult but I guess it's all relative. The HSC has always been that thing to fear.

fionarykim

HSC
wooow
so much negative stuff :O
i am actually really enjoying yr 12, despite all the stress and pressure for school work
but everything else about it is great, we just need to learn to balance :)

ncoul

HSC
The HSC is not about studying 10 hours a day. It is about managing teachers impressions and manipulating the little knowledge you know into a logical, compelling and sustained answer. That overrides any consistent study.
Good luck in the externals with that bullshit ethos. Markers aren't stupid; they're subjected to thousands of papers with those types of broad, over-arching and general statements. The good students know A LOT of information - specifics and niche statements that enhance a response. I don't care who you are, you won't get a band 6 with manipulating an inadequate amount of information.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
For those who think that HSC life is hard, that is a "spec" of the amount of hurdles you will need to overcome in life. If you think year 12 is stressful, you just wait for university, where they will throw much larger challenges at you.

Life is full of challenges, and you as individuals must overcome them in positive ways!

Last edited:

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
For those who think that HSC life is hard, that is a "spec" of the amount of hurdles you will need to overcome in life. If you think year 12 is stressful, you just wait for university, where they will throw much larger challenges at you.

Life is full of challenges, and you as individuals must overcome them in positive ways!
As a first year (and an overwhelmed one at that), I feel like saying that to any whining Year 12s. But then I go back to my thought that these hurdles are all relative in life. Maybe it's a good thing that these Year 12s are getting over-stressed (haha) because that's overcoming a challenge in a way. We always look back on past challenges and see that we needn't have stressed so much but remember how we felt at that time and it seemed like it warranted that stress.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Good luck in the externals with that bullshit ethos. Markers aren't stupid; they're subjected to thousands of papers with those types of broad, over-arching and general statements. The good students know A LOT of information - specifics and niche statements that enhance a response. I don't care who you are, you won't get a band 6 with manipulating an inadequate amount of information.
I don't understand why you would characterise it as 'bullshit'. If it wasn't for managing teachers impressions, I would be a much lower rank in every subject. The fact is, everyone is human. If a teacher is marking the paper of a certain student, its marking becomes a confluence of the student's attitude in the classroom and their contribution to a positive learning environment, the homework they do, and the actual content of which they have produced. If you're a kid who is always distracting other students in the class and you suddenly produce the Shakespearean masterpiece of the 21st century in your assignment, you will still be brought down by your attitude. Anyone that says otherwise is just being intellectually dishonest.

Also, the concept of student numbers is at my school but the teacher forms an opinion as to how you write and recognizes who's essay they're marking, irrespective of the student number. In essence, the 'student number' concept, purposed to defeat bias is inherently contradictory. Contrary to some public opinion, teachers have a brain, having went to university. You don't need an FBI forensic's analyst to open a simple database that contains the matching student numbers with student names. Ultimately, the teachers have to match names to numbers at the end, but practically, there is nothing that acts as an hindrance to do so before that select time.

Obviously, you can discount this in the externals but my vocation has always been to do WHATEVER it takes to get the highest internal rank possible, as it has equal bearing on your final HSC mark as the external exams.

What I was also getting to was the notion that some people possess more natural ability than others, and are able to think in a way which differentiates them from others. Its not a guide that is in the textbook, meaning, the continual possession of knowledge that you can systemically regurgitate is not going to elevate one to this higher level of thinking.

Last edited:

Deliriously

HSC

Wow that is pretty good. Going to remember this when I feel down or faced with a challenge.

Examine

same
HSC
Overall I'm not feeling that stressed lol. Like obviously the day before and on exams I get somewhat anxious but that's about it.

So I'm not sure if I'm not stressed because I'm on top of everything, or am gradually giving less fucks.

Imo it all depends on how you feel in your current situation. I remember you telling me in year 11 how stressful year 12 was.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)