Hsc: Exposed And Uncut (1 Viewer)

What is your personal opinion of the Higher School Certificate?

• I think its the only way to test people

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • Its too old fashioned

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • Why test our ability to 'remember' stored information in a specific time limit, on our own?

Votes: 126 49.0%
  • Why doesn't it test us as people, rather than as academic absorbant sponges?

Votes: 82 31.9%
  • If I ever meet the person that started the bloody HSC....

Votes: 66 25.7%
  • I love study, and most of all, love basing 2 years of work on 3 hours of regurgitation

Votes: 31 12.1%

• Total voters

waitingforwhat

Hsc: Exposed And Uncut (Make you're vote count!!)

Which of the above does your perception of the module 'HSC' best relate to? In your answer, refer to twelve related texts that illuminate the various versions and visions of 'HSC'

Last edited:

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
The HSC is stoopid. It rewards ppl who can regurgitate information without having to know what it means.

Problem is, there's no other "efficient/fair" way to test people...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
lol that "visions and versions" question was a classic!

kleptomaniac

HSC
waitingforwhat said:
In your answer, refer to twelve related texts that illuminate the various versions and visions of 'HSC'
And the extracts, don't forget the extracts

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
my theory, the hsc and 13yrs of school, just to get to do wat u want to do... but in the end, the no-one really cares bout uai's,
until there is a better way to seperate us, we're stuck.
but who isn't already over the hsc?!

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the uai should be a measure of how well u will cope with uni...
yet, its goverened by who can learn the most essays written by their tutors

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
yeah i wouldn't mind the hsc so much if they could invent some questions that you had to have the slight bit of a social life and/or life experience, not to mention a brain, to answer. instead of the current requirement of being a mindless rote-learning zombie. (btw i speak of such subjects as english. music and languages require a little more brainpower at least).

anyone want to rewrite the syllabus with me? i'm all for the 4u pub crawl :rolleyes:

(ps gordo your avatar is gold.) :)

adrianp

HSC is bullshit.. why put half our mark against our school then the other half against the state.. all this bullshit about aligning the marks.. but put it this way you get disadvantaged from going to a shit school and by the time u realise this its to late to change or you cant afford it. Having half against the school and half against the state is just retarded and i cant wait to this crap is over so i can apply my knowledge to the physcial world, not a bunch of numbers and questions which people just do over and over, lose thier social life and get judged as smarter than me because they can study maths 6 hours a day!

That felt good.. :)

HSC
N/A
Something else to note.

You can get a brilliant UAI in high school if you're good at learning things by rote (repetition). For people like me that a) hate learning by rote and b) suck at learning by rote, we're effectively screwed from the beginning.

On the other hand, you can't learn by rote in University, because it just doesn't work that way. The UAI is merely a ranking... that is pretty stuffed because it doesn't really measure how capable or suited you are to a particular University course...

Screw the UAI. Let's just have interviews and hand-on training instead...! theory sucks, particularly when 90% of it is irrelevant.

Last edited:

adrianp

glitterfairy said:
Something else to note.

You can get a brilliant UAI in high school if you're good at learning things by rote (repetition). For people like me that a) hate learning by rote and b) suck at learning by rote, we're effectually screwed from the beginning.

On the other hand, you can't learn by rote in University, because it just doesn't work that way. The UAI is merely a ranking... that is pretty stuffed because it doesn't really measure how capable or suited you are to a particular University course...

Screw the UAI. Let's just have interviews and hand-on training instead...! theory sucks, particularly when 90% of it is irrelevant.

Amen, coudnt put it better!

waitingforwhat

I really wouldn't worry about how we've gone in exams. Whats done is done, and all I know is that I'm pissing subjects off for good day by day. There is no need to reflect on how we went, cause there aint any more exams to improve in. We just have to play this little HSC game and get our little number. And sure its a big deal to us now, but for those of us that know there is more to life than being an academic, the UAI will render itself meaningless before the year is through.

Tomorrow i finish maths forever. bon voyage

DeMikez

HSC
[/QUOTE] theory sucks, particularly when 90% of it is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

yeh why learn stuff about past theories eg chem.. laviouser and arhennius or davy.. when they dont apply no more.. its stupid.. and it really doesnt help us if we dont head towards chem or history yet we have to learn it for some courses in uni..
so stupid..

they should scan ur brain when ur a kid and then say yep genius or yep fit for this job or something..

stupid hsc..
i am such a failure..

Steph69

HEY HEY OMG I LOVE THIS THREAD...u r all talking bout wat i am feeling and of course wat u's r feeling. I have this paranoier that if and when i get my results and uai and it says like 50! that i will be forever labelled " STUPID" and ' DUMB" but its unfair that if u didnt perform to ur best in one yr of ur life it reflects wether u go to uni..it is hard to stay motivate din grade 12 wen al u can think bout is leaving and studying subjects ur not interested in...uni u'd be doin subjects u chose and were intersted in! Am i makign sense? im just over this shit and tryin to find ecuses to make myself feel better coz all i can think bout now is schoolies and going out!! ARRHHG FUK THE HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)