HSC exam (1 Viewer)

Hottieflossy

lexicographer, do you do spanish? or do you just like writing in this forum? anyway, i also do math but i dont need it as part of my ten units so i'll show up for it but wont stress too much about it. good luck for all your other exams

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, I lost a lot of Spanish when I was younger. You see, I initially spoke Spanish, Filipino and English. BUT because I was taking longer to develop a (noticeably) working phoneme and grammar bank in any of these languages, an idiotic 80s speech therapist told my parents to only let me speak English. Thus my trilinguality was lost. DAMN YOU 80s SPEECH THERAPIST!

Since then new research has found that what was happening to me was a NORMAL indicator of developing fluency in more than one language. Anyway, I'm regaining my Spanish, it's just a pain to have to learn again what I once knew naturally. I don't use it much to people I don't know though because I am easily embarassed.

Hottieflossy

i feel weird talking to my parents in spanish cuz i cant stand being corrected and cuz i havent got the argentinian accent anymore so i think i sound weird....so i tend to speak "spanglish" with them. i cant be that bad though cuz i did exceptionally well in all my speaking exams, for both 2 unit and 3 unit.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Your parents correct you because they're trying to make you the best speaker possible...fast. :p

But yes, I know what you mean. I'm used to switching languages so accent isn't really a problem for me, but rather remembering what to say and how to make it "natural". Anyway, spanglish is very fun, I do that with my dad's side all the time. I must say the world's most overused interjection has got to be que? and I am its major culprit.

Still, don't feel embarassed by your parents' corrections. They will be delighted when you speak confidently despite the corrections, an with time (by picking them up as you go) your parents will have a hard time finding things to correct. Confidence is the key with any language. :)

Hottieflossy

well, since i dont speak spanish with them i never give them the chance to correct me...hehe...and you are correct about "que"..i always say that, but not necessarily when i dont understand something.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Whenever my dad says something outrageous, amusing, or just stupid, I say que [subject]! like que planchador! etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)