HSC ENGLISH TUTORING (1 Viewer)

cunliffe

HSC
N/A
I would like to offer my services for one to one tutoring in the Coogee area or for online essay marking, either to give feedback on practice essays, practice exam papers or marked essays where limited feedback has been given.

I have been teaching English for 26 years, 21 of those exclusively teaching senior English across all courses. I have marked HSC English and worked on the HSC advice Line for a number of years advising in Extension and Advanced. In recent years two of my Extension English 1 students have placed third in the state. Last year one of my Standard students was fifth in the state and over the past five years I have had 6 Standard students achieve a Band 6. I mention this as Band 6s are rare in Standard-last year there were only 53. In Advanced all but six of my students have achieved Band 5 or 6 over the past twelve years.

I see that there are a number of students offering tutoring services based on their own excellent HSC results. Their advice would probably benefit students of similar ability, but have less of an impact on those who are struggling. Telling someone to work hard and write lots of practice essays doesn't really help if you aren't sure where to start or are struggling to come to terms with course content. That's where a teacher with experience can make a real difference and that's what I am offering.

I've written a study guide on As You Like It, which you can see a preview of at http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2967479. It might give you an idea of my approach to texts and whether it sits comfortably with you. It's available now as an ebook and in hard copy at Blurb, and will be available through apple early in April 2012.

Please contact me if you would like an appointment. I tutor from my own apartment in the Eastern suburbs and have some places available. I would encourage you to contact me if you have some essays where the limited feedback has left you confused as to how you might improve. I can offer you detailed comments through an online medium.

My email is jennifercunliffe@bigpond.com and I also have a simple web site where you can get more information about me: https://sites.google.com/site/hscenglishonline/

Don't despair, help is at hand.

kate777

HSC
How much do you charge for online marking?
Thankyou.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

I see that there are a number of students offering tutoring services based on their own excellent HSC results. Their advice would probably benefit students of similar ability, but have less of an impact on those who are struggling. Telling someone to work hard and write lots of practice essays doesn't really help if you aren't sure where to start or are struggling to come to terms with course content. That's where a teacher with experience can make a real difference and that's what I am offering.

First of all, I have immense respect for teachers and for the effort you guys put in to making your students' life better by gifting the invaluable treasure that is knowledge and learning. I think teaching is something that's tragically undervalued in Australian society and I'd just like to say 'thanks' for what you do.

However, I think the quote that I've bolded is as unsubstantiated as it is unfair. On what grounds are you claiming that a recent, successful graduate, who has all the techniques and know-how to get the very best marks, is unable to clearly and patiently explain their method of success from the very beginning to someone that's struggling? Why? I've had students who've gone from going into exams with NO IDEA about how to approach English and getting 9/20 to nailing 18-20/20 in their assessments a few terms later. Whilst it may take substantial teaching skill to help a struggling 9-year old with behavioural issues with their academia, your statement about qualified and successful tutors not being able to assist struggling (yet keen to learn) kids in senior school is vacuous to say the least. I know this type of tutoring success has been and is being constantly replicated by my colleagues who are uni students.

I could just as well turn around and argue that having qualified teachers as tutors isn't as helpful. It's been ages since you guys have sat the HSC. Those with fresh ideas and experiences can relate to students on how to deal with stress, blackouts, what to focus on, what not to etc. I actually find the majority of teachers focus FAR too much on textual ideas and not enough on how to deal with the exam. I went to a 'proper' English teacher for help in West Pennant Hills (Yardley) and she was absolutely terrible. I then commenced tutoring with a state ranker two years my senior who was in the combined med program that I was aiming for, and it was SO, SO, SO helpful. I can't even express what an amazing person and tutor she was. She told me exactly what to do to get full marks. On this note, I'd actually go so far as tentatively arguing that 26 years of teaching experience can work against a tutor when it comes to their effectiveness. You don't know what it's like sitting the HSC these days. Your ideas may come close due to the fact that you're a marker, but they're not the same. You haven't had to balance 10+ other units with English during your teaching and marking time, nor did you have to figure out how to memorise five scripts perfectly and be able to immaculately and seamlessly adapt them to a given question (English was pathetically easy during your time). You are therefore irrefutably not as qualified as dealing with these very real issues as a recent graduate is.

Kindly refrain from insulting the both of us by making a statement along the lines of 'You should know the text completely, memorising is horrible, etc'. Let's get real. Unless you're a literary genius reading Stephen King since 8, it's not realistic to formulate a full mark, 1100 word response on the spot. I barely read my texts and consistently got full marks in English throughout the HSC, because I knew exactly how to prepare for the exam and how to deal with real-life issues when it comes to actually DOING the assessments. My English class teacher, as helpful as she was, did not help with this.

Again, just my opinion. I'm not in any way trying to say that anyone should not go to the OP for tutoring, nor am I in any way suggesting that OP is anything short of an excellent teacher (I have no idea, not my place to comment). I'd just like to refute the statement made about younger tutors not being as effective. I could be wrong, would be happy to welcome all input. An interesting issue indeed!

-S

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
^ not really neccessary.. it's just a teacher trying to advertise..
why ruin their thread with unnecessary dispute.
took a small comment and blew it way out of proportion.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
^ not really neccessary.. it's just a teacher trying to advertise..
why ruin their thread with unnecessary dispute.
took a small comment and blew it way out of proportion.
Haha yep, why bother addressing any of my points when you can tell me to shut up? =]

Last edited by a moderator:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
=/
Maybe delete your post and PM this to her instead? Probably benefit all of us :).
There's nothing personal contained in my message. This is a forum, and I thought I'd raise some concerns that I'm sure many students would (and should) be considering when it comes to tutoring.

I guess the mods can take care of it if there's a problem. Besides, it's an excellent opportunity for OP to respond to what I have to say as a means of establishing herself as the better choice over those who recently graduated.

Dylanamali

HSC
yes (and I know this is hypocritical) but the thread will go off at a tangent in the next few replies. Best not to derail someone's tutoring thread when you can just PM them and discuss the issue, or even make a new thread on it. There's nothing wrong with what you're arguing about, but it's unnecessary to discuss it here, more so since you both will end up arguing for your own viewpoint.
exactly..

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
yes (and I know this is hypocritical) but the thread will go off at a tangent in the next few replies. Best not to derail someone's tutoring thread when you can just PM them and discuss the issue, or even make a new thread on it. There's nothing wrong with what you're arguing about, but it's unnecessary to discuss it here, more so since you both will end up arguing for your own viewpoint.
I understand. It was never my intention to derail this thread, I was under the impression that all facets of the forum were open to discussion. Mods, could you please take the appropriate action.

Sorry guys =]

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah mate.. I utilised your scripts to aid my in my HSC, and I do agree with your comment that graduates are in a prime place to aid students.. but I didn't dispute the fact that what your wrote in your comment was right or wrong.. I simply don't think you should make a personal attack on a page where a more than likely credible person is trying to advertise themselves.
WOAH. Personal attack? Where?

I'm pretty sure I afforded every bit of due respect and politeness in my post towards the OP, both as a teacher and a fellow BoS'er.

Please either point out my personal attack or retract the statement. Thanks =]

And the fact that you would actually search your email database, and take a screenshot of that image, shows how truly petty you are..
It took me about 1.5 seconds to do the search and about 4 seconds to upload it. I'll ignore your insult in good spirit.

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
"(English was pathetically easy during your time). You are therefore irrefutably not as qualified as dealing with these very real issues as a recent graduate is.
Let's get real. Unless you're a literary genius reading Stephen King since 8, it's not realistic to formulate a full mark, 1100 word response on the spot."

Personal attack may have been the incorrect choice of words.. but it's an attack nonetheless..
perhaps you should really just mind your own business rather than lurking around the tutoring threads and dropping your unneccessary comments. I can see how it may be a ploy of yours to advertise your own tutoring services.. but please, give people the due respect and keep your comments on a personal (inbox) level or keep them to yourself.

I neither agreed nor disagreed with you in my initial comment.
And yet you state the "irony" in my comment.. where is the irony?
You simply just come across as a tool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)