HSC English Syllabus (1 Viewer)

Bec010

From my understanding, the new HSC enligsh syllabus doesn't really differ THAT much from various combinations of the old syllabus. However i agree with James King, who in the Sydney Morning Herald on 3/9/02 wrote that "Students can now bluff their way to high marks with the help of post-modern jargon and a cereal box" in his article "This is not a headline, it's an HSC English exam text." If you can get your hands on the article, it really is a great read! HSC english seems to have no longer become a study of literature and language, but rather a sad excuse for kids to be able to gain marks easily (making the new HSC look good... funny that). Doing advanced english this year, I only actually studied ONE book (if you exclude the Shakespeare). All other "texts" were either poems, films or videos. Furthermore, rather than really having to learn context or anything, much like many of my classmates, i had almost formularised essay plans for the exam. It does seem silly. But such is life.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
hey lazarus was that "james king" you? or another "james king" ? wb

ps yea the english syllabus is weird.. but whatever it is pplz will complain, ps i didnt read your post. sorry i hope this applies to what u said

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The article has a link from a post in the english section ...

luigi_000, stop the :spam:

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by luigi_000
hey lazarus was that "james king" you? or another "james king" ? wb
it said on the article that 'james king' was a teacher at a boys school in syd??? could be laz tho...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Christine

it said on the article that 'james king' was a teacher at a boys school in syd??? could be laz tho...
hahaha
no laz is a 1st yr uni student
its jus a weird coincidence

bex

HSC
there are many many james kings...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yes, I remember that article was met which much approval on this forum just after it appeared.

I guess some texts are bordering on the trivial in the new syllabus, but I think that it's more that the BOS is trying to diversify the range of media students can study...I mean, I love books, but not everyone does. People should be able (ie. have the ability) to study a wide variety of texts. It is a traditional view that only books can convey real 'depth' of meaning.

Last year some person used a train ticket as a relevant text...perhaps it's not the BOS which is setting the inane trivialities...more that people themselves are not putting enough effort into finding meaningful texts themselves.

Originally posted by Ozz^E

BUT, i might add, theres one one LAZ.
hear, hear. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's not me.

His real name is Brenton Boswell. He used my name to write the article.

I'm in the process of writing something to refute him, which is why I started the other english syllabus post - in the hopes that a few people might give me good things to say about the new syllabus. :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I quite like studying different types of texts - I mean, would YOU rather watch The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (three hours) or read the book (three....weeks?)? :)

(not to mention that you get to see really cute little furry hobbits, eee!)

On what Weisy was saying, I agree that it's a valiant attempt to diversify the types of texts we're reading, and to make us see that you can apply your knowledge to other media.

However, look at it from a HSC marker's point of view. If you come up with a trivial 'text' (okay, I use the term lightly too ;)), what are the chances that they'll think you're an idiot who didn't put enough effort in? I'm not saying that everybody would see you as a doofus, especially if you were able to write about that text *well*, but HSC markers are after all teachers, and have the standard of related texts at their own school as something to compare with.

Anyway, never mind, folks. Postmodernism is past its prime. :)

Ozz^E

Originally posted by Lazarus
It's not me.

His real name is Brenton Boswell. He used my name to write the article.

I'm in the process of writing something to refute him, which is why I started the other english syllabus post - in the hopes that a few people might give me good things to say about the new syllabus. :p
He used your name to write the article???Y

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)