HSC English First Assessment Belonging related texts. (1 Viewer)

BlackFrost111

HSC
Ok So I posted this is the wrong place earlier::

I have just got an english assignment for belonging I have to analyse 3 related texts in regards to Belonging.

I have currently Only selected one visual text which is I am Sam.

Can someone please help me with techniques used in I am Sam That help Show belonging in the Film,

And what points in the film Highlight Belonging also,

Frosty</SPAN>

N

Nicola1616

crap, I'd love to help but I don't know if I've seen it all the way through. Is that he is intellectually disabled and a father? You could look at the angle of belonging in the sense of family bonds being transcendent, you know the intrinsic connection they have for eachother despite how unconventional the situation is. Also you could look at Sam's exclusion from belonging due to his disability and not funtioning in a way that is the norm or prescribed by the group. Also, isn't there in the rubric that bit about how one person joining a group has the power to transform the nature of that group -something like that - maybe your text would fit that concept well too. I guess then you have to look for texts that all have an outcast in them and explore it in different ways.
If you can get a copy of 'The Searchers' (another film maybe that's a problem, hope not) it is just the best belonging/outsider text ever. It's a John Wayne/John Ford film about him (der) as an outsider on the trail of a young girl who has been kidnapped by Comanche Indians and lived with them for years. His parner wants to bring her home but he plans to kill her when he finds her because he feels she will have been changed so much into a savage that she won't belong in white society any more. I won't spoil the ending. Final shot is the best scene of the loner/outsider ever.
good luck

Olly-Polly

HSC
Heey,
Im currently doing the same assignment as you, mines due on monday and the things im look at are
Belonging – This intrinsic urge of us humans to belong is actually quite a complex and universal concept that is shaped by our personal, social and cultural paradigms. thats my definition of beloning.
And his Urban family, which are the people who are exactly like him and dont see his faults and accept him for who he is were as society alienates him.
Sams right as a father is being taken away from him due to his disability and his Lawyer is losing her family due to her job.
Look at the way sam acts with His "friends" and the way he acts in society.
And also the bit where Lucy comes in her surprise birthday party and her friend talks up saying she said she was adopted and then social worker steps in.

Also with the Lawyer, look at the way her family is falling apart but being with sam is helping her realise that she needs to fix it.
The lawyer has no disability but she is just as disfunctional as sam.
Use the bit about the shoes for Lucy for school and how they work together to pay for them and the Balloons,
And how the police and lawyers of the other time just treat him like he is a mental person with no clue how to raise a child what soever. And use the bit where sam doesnt get what is going on when they very first take lucy away, like for example Sam says to the lawyers of the other side there is room over here next to me if you want to come and sit next to me.

Annnddd!! the book! when they are reading the new book that lucy brings home they are going on about Different. and the sentence is about birds, and its "how can we be so different when we are so alike" meaning how is sam so different if he is just as much human being as everyone else.

Now i really hope i havent confused you or anything but there is some parts about i am sam
Goodluck!!
-Olly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)