HSC English --> Ask your questions (1 Viewer)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
offering a bit of last minute help --> Post your English questions here, and I'll try answering them!

All the Best people - Almost there

P.S. Please don't pm me essays, I wont have the time to mark each of them personally!

Last edited:

abc123yoyo

HSC
hi, how should I link political corruption in Hamlet to struggle and disillusionment - also talking about dramatic techniques and its enduring nature?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
People might find this helpful

Prose texts

When analysing prose texts you should consider the following:
• Whether the language used is abstract or concrete.
• Whether the language is loaded with emotion or reason.
• Do any words suggest other connotations and broader definitions than the literal meaning?
• The modality of the language. This refers to how forceful it is (high modality) or if it is
tentative (low modality).
• Does the writing use many of the same vowel or consonant sounds, therefore creating a
particular effect?
• Punctuation can be used to alter meaning or create specific meaning. Examine the
punctuation carefully, looking for words that have been placed in a position of emphasis.
• The use of imagery in evoking meaning.
• Figurative language may be used alongside literal language. Figurative language can introduce a broader range of meaning.
• How vocabulary and punctuation create a particular tone to the piece.
• The piece may be structured for a particular purpose. This will infl uence the formality or
informality of the piece.
• The person in which the text is written – first person (‘I’, ‘we’), second person (‘you’), or third person (‘she’, ‘they’, ‘it’) - e.g. third person usually alienates the reader!

I didn't write this, but It was something I used during my HSC - might help

abc123yoyo

HSC
People might find this helpful

Prose texts

When analysing prose texts you should consider the following:
• Whether the language used is abstract or concrete.
• Whether the language is loaded with emotion or reason.
• Do any words suggest other connotations and broader definitions than the literal meaning?
• The modality of the language. This refers to how forceful it is (high modality) or if it is
tentative (low modality).
• Does the writing use many of the same vowel or consonant sounds, therefore creating a
particular effect?
• Punctuation can be used to alter meaning or create specific meaning. Examine the
punctuation carefully, looking for words that have been placed in a position of emphasis.
• The use of imagery in evoking meaning.
• Figurative language may be used alongside literal language. Figurative language can introduce a broader range of meaning.
• How vocabulary and punctuation create a particular tone to the piece.
• The piece may be structured for a particular purpose. This will infl uence the formality or
informality of the piece.
• The person in which the text is written – first person (‘I’, ‘we’), second person (‘you’), or third person (‘she’, ‘they’, ‘it’) - e.g. third person usually alienates the reader!

I didn't write this, but It was something I used during my HSC - might help
Can u answer my question now? lol please :)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
hi, how should I link political corruption in Hamlet to struggle and disillusionment - also talking about dramatic techniques and its enduring nature?
so your themes will be struggle and disillusionment
as with the dramatic techniques, what they are after is basically rather than do textual analysis like alliteration, assonance, high modality, they are looking at dramatic techniques of the play. so include your "normal " literary techniques, but include the dramatic techniques like soliloquy etc

I haven't taught this option, so my knowledge is very limited!

LonelyWolf

HSC
Is it a very likely possibility that this years creative will have to be strictly a speech?

Memi

HSC
N/A
How to change from writing an essay to a feature article/speech/newspaper article on the spot? What do you need to change?

HSC
hey ace wanna predict what text types our essays are gonna have to be like, also the creative, and like what the overall theme of the belonging paper will be like. Cause i asked someone from an eta about the belonging paper, and they said that it usually follows a theme every year, like he said last year was family (i think) so what do you recon it'll be this year.

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
Don't worry about that now!!! You've got six days until paper two and they WILL NOT repeat the same question as last year so it's irrelevant. However, you could say "the struggle within the political sphere has an underlying tension within the play contributing to Hamlets disillusionment with not only other individuals but the world in which he functions"

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
How to change from writing an essay to a feature article/speech/newspaper article on the spot? What do you need to change?
http://www.econnect.com.au/pdf/quicktips/writing_features.pdf

That said, it is very unlikey that they will do so..but again you'd never know

with newspaper articles

it goes

headline - basically like a title
byline - i..e who wrote the article
Introduction
Body
conclusion

but newspaper will be less formal than an essay, but still maintains the formal setting

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
hey ace wanna predict what text types our essays are gonna have to be like, also the creative, and like what the overall theme of the belonging paper will be like. Cause i asked someone from an eta about the belonging paper, and they said that it usually follows a theme every year, like he said last year was family (i think) so what do you recon it'll be this year.

haha... I can't predict the paper! sorry

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Is it a very likely possibility that this years creative will have to be strictly a speech?
may well be, you never know, but again I have my doubts.. it always say an imaginative piece of writing etc, to keep it broad

but in that case you can say, today I'd like to share with you a story - [insert creative]
but since it is a speech it will be wise to have a reflection on your sense/the persona's sense of belonging to make it more direct and include rhetorical questions etc

Alkanes

HSC
Hey could you please explain to me the aspects of belonging in terms of experiences and notions of identity, relationships, acceptance and understanding. Like for each concept what does it mean etc? I just started belonging so my knowledge of it is really bad. :p

Thanks

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Hey could you please explain to me the aspects of belonging in terms of experiences and notions of identity, relationships, acceptance and understanding. Like for each concept what does it mean etc? I just started belonging so my knowledge of it is really bad. :p

Thanks
that's going to be a very wordy answer.. but the gist of it all is that all these key terms you've used - relationships, acceptance, understanding can limit or enrich an individuals identity and hence determine their sense of belonging.

so with relationships --> connection you have with people, they can do things that alienate you (e.g. bullying) or they can make you feel accepted (e.g. making friends and them liking you for who you are)

HSC
Question: In paper 1, section III if we are asked for two related texts and haven't prepared two, is it possible to use one of the texts from section I?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Question: In paper 1, section III if we are asked for two related texts and haven't prepared two, is it possible to use one of the texts from section I?
definitely not unless it so happened to be one of your additional text..but the chances of that happening are quite slim!
even in that case it is not advisable.. but the trend so far seems at least one, so I presume 2011 HSC will ask for at least one, unless they decide to deviate from the normal trend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)