Hsc Eng Paper 1 reading time (1 Viewer)

ZaoKai

HSC
During reading time how do some people just read eveything and find all the quotes to use in just 10 min?? Somehow I only get up to text 3 in 10 minutes by the time I read and picked out quotes and other 2-3 texts just cut into the writing time.

Does anyone have any tips on how to read quickly and identify quotes quickly so that they ans the question? Thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that this heavily depends on practice and the extent to which you develop your exam technique. 10 minutes is not enough for students to take their time and read and thoroughly analyse texts. However, it can be sufficient when a student already knows the sort of information that they are looking for and has the ability to do so within the reading time. In such a case, knowing the sort of information to look for implies a thorough knowledge and understanding of techniques (especially the more common ones, that is, the ones that appear most often), including an ability to quickly identify them when reading the texts.

The same can be suggested regarding quotes. While quotes are of course different and unique to their respective texts, they (alongside techniques) illustrate the key ideas/themes/issues of the module (in this case, the Common Module). Based on this, you could create a list of common techniques for you to keep in mind, including examples of their use. You can also review your prescribed text for the Common Module and emphasise its key quotes. In doing so, you should seek to understand the way(s) in which the quotes are significant, and ways in which similar quotes may manifest in unseen texts.

Subsequently, you can practice reading numerous unseen texts. With this added knowledge, you should be able to form patterns that allow you to identify/recognise particular techniques and key quotes that will inform your responses to the questions.

I hope this helps! :D

aulinia

HSC
During reading time how do some people just read eveything and find all the quotes to use in just 10 min?? Somehow I only get up to text 3 in 10 minutes by the time I read and picked out quotes and other 2-3 texts just cut into the writing time.

Does anyone have any tips on how to read quickly and identify quotes quickly so that they ans the question? Thanks.
Read the question first so you know what you’re looking for in the text, and also skim read. When I’m reading the text I’m taking mental note of the techniques used as I read, and when reading time is over I make little annotations of the quotes I wanted to use + their techniques so I don’t forget them. It really comes from practice; read more, understand the techniques and how to identify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)