HSC Biology Progression (1 Viewer)

Candidate

HSC
._.

Did our school do it in the wrong order?

So fail.

In other news, just looked over MaB's 8 pracs.

If the kidney one comes up, i will say I used a "visual resource" as it says we can in the syllabus point.

Candidate

HSC
Doesn't really matter as long as you complete the course, something we couldn't do haha
Hahahah

dw we didn't finish either. We skipped 3 MaB pracs and 1 Blueprint prac ( the effect of light on plants) and didn't finish communications til the second last lesson.

HSC
N/A
Question: If Polio is a virus, how come the immune response is the production of B cells?

o_____________________O
They both defend against viruses except B cells do it outside of cells and T cells do it inside of cells. Source: HSC Biology in focus, p291.

DJ696

HSC
looks I'll be winging bio! anyone with me?

HSC
N/A
What do you mean by inside and outside of cells?
Cell-mediated immunity vs antibody-mediated immunity.
This says that cell-mediated immunity is used by T cells and is effective against: bacteria and viruses that are inside cells; protozoa, fungi, flatworms and roundworms; cancerious cells and transplanted foreign tissue.
Antibody mediated (humoral) immunity is used by B cells and defends against: bacteria and viruses outside of cells; toxins produced by bacteria.
This is on page 290 of Biology in focus textbook.

I'm horrible at explaining, I suggest just going to a library and reading the textbook tomorrow.

leesh95

HSC
What do you mean by inside and outside of cells?
B cell make antibodies that bind to antigen to deactivate it.

There are many types of T cells and cytotoxic/killer T cell actually combine with the cell displaying antigen to release chemicals that will destroy the cell.

They will both function together to overcome a viral infection

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Outline processes used to produce transgenic organisms +examples. 3m.

planino

HSC
T-cells control cell-mediated immunity
B-cells control antibody-mediated immunity

So basically, the (killer) T-cells will destroy infected cells by binding to the antigens on the cells, and then releasing chemicals into the cells to kill it and any pathogens (which includes viruses) within.

B cells basically, when activated (by interleukin-2), they clone themselves. Some form plasma cells whilst others form memory B cells. The plasma cells release antibodies ---> travel to site of infection ---> form an antigen-antibody complex by binding to the viruses ---> immobilises it ----> can be destroyed via phagocytosis (the final destruction of the pathogen is variable)

When viruses enter, the antibodies (produced by plasma cells) will directly attack the virus, whilst the killer T cells will (release chemicals into) the infected cells, killling the cells and the virus within.

Of course this isn't in full detail, and I'm not terribly sure about the T-cell cloning thingo and what happens there :(

leesh95

HSC

So basically, the (killer) T-cells will destroy infected cells by binding to the antigens on the cells, and then releasing chemicals into the cells to kill it and any pathogens (which includes viruses) within.

B cells basically, when activated (by interleukin-2), they clone themselves. Some form plasma cells whilst others form memory B cells. The plasma cells release antibodies ---> travel to site of infection ---> form an antigen-antibody complex by binding to the viruses ---> immobilises it ----> can be destroyed via phagocytosis (the final destruction of the pathogen is variable)

When viruses enter, the antibodies (produced by plasma cells) will directly attack the virus, whilst the killer T cells will (release chemicals into) the infected cells, killling the cells and the virus within.

Of course this isn't in full detail, and I'm not terribly sure about the T-cell cloning thingo and what happens there :(
Don't Helper T cell release cytokines that stimulates Killer T cell and B cell cloning

planino

HSC
Yep, I omitted that to keep it "brief" :p

You (and anybody else of course) can help me with this thingo though:

When Helper T-cells (Th cells) are activated, do the Th cells become cloned as well?
- And if they do, then do some Th cells become killer T cells whilst others become memory T cells?
Interleukin-2 (a cytokine) is released by the activated Th cell and this stimulates B cell cloning. Most B cells become plasma cells whilst some become memory B cells. Is this correct?
Also, when the killer T-cells are activated, they clone themselves. Memory T cells are produced simulataneously, but where do they come from? With B cells, some B cells become the memory B cells, but memory T cells seem to appear out of nowhere.

planino

HSC
I'm going to post these questions in my other thread so others looking through don't have to look between 2 threads.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Ah okay. I thought Bcells replicated when it was a bacterial infection and tcells activated for viral infections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)