HSC Bio Question! (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
Hey guys!

I was going through the syllabus and came across the following dot point:

"Explain how mutations in DNA may lead to the generation of new alleles"

:uhoh:

I have no idea how to answer this :( I have checked all my text books as well as HSC online... no luck! please help me!

Thanks for your time :)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
what topic is this?
Genetics: the code broken i believe; i don't think its blueprint

04er; please post in the appropriate sub-forum next time

04er

HSC
this dot point has been taken from "Blueprint of Life", section 4, point 4 under "Students learn to"

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm..... i remember this... this is pretty random stuff...

*checkin notes*: (my notes r pretty, *cough* uhm, concise... to a pt where sometimes i dun even know wut does it mean... so bear with it yea?? =)... )

Mutation will change the DNA sequence of an organism. Since DNA sequences controls the production of protein, new DNA sequence will cause the new protein to be synthesised. In addition, since allele is the representation of the combination of proteins, varying the types of proteins produced lead to new alleles.

04er

HSC
oh ok... thanks xiao :) ... but its not very clear as you mentioned :( lol

04er

HSC
Hey,

I came across Telepathetic's answer for the dot point:

"When DNA replicates, the new cell usually have identical DNA to the parent cell. However sometimes mistakes occur; these mistakes are called mutations. Just one mistake can lead to the wrong amino acid being coded or even a malfunctioning gene produced. This (mutations) is a mechanism that can produce new alleles, because different proteins either structural or enzymic, may be produced in the cells."

Does this answer the question well? Because its a bit short :( Still, I like how Telepathetic has answered it. Perhaps I should add what sort of mutations occur? (i.e. deletion, substitution etc)?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by 04er
this dot point has been taken from "Blueprint of Life", section 4, point 4 under "Students learn to"
my mistake sorry.

04er

HSC
lol cool thanks you guys! :) No worries Timmy... it was no big deal ^^

jims

HSC
if your looking for extra points, say that mutations can be good/bad/neutral and that only germatic mutations create alleles that are inheritable while somatic mutations are not.

04er

HSC
Originally posted by jims
if your looking for extra points, say that mutations can be good/bad/neutral and that only germatic mutations create alleles that are inheritable while somatic mutations are not.
Wow thanks Jims! :D That is awesome! :cool: VERY VERY good point!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)