Hsc At Tafe? (2 Viewers)

soso

HSC
N/A
Yes I am entitled to my opinion. Just because you say it is abusive does not mean it is. If you look at your post one could say you commit the deadly sins you accuse me of. You know pot, kettle, black.

As to ranking. The BoS in a sense ranks schools, TAFes etc and the teacher ranks the students. BoS ranking has a historical component based on a schools results over time.

If you do Art at OTEN your assessment mark can rise by as much as 5 marks because historically they get excellent results. In ranking imagine it as a coiled spring. Grab the spring and pull down. The students at the top show little downward movement but as your marks go down your results are more likely to be a lot less.

So the trick is to study hard do well and hope for marks over 85 for the least downward movement.

What do you do if your assessments are indicating you won't get into Uni? You have plan A, Plan B, Plan C and Plan D.

Plan A: Get your UAI and go to Uni

Plan B: Apply for high demand courses at TAFE before September 30 like photography, Travel Agents , Sound Engineer etc

Plan C: Apply for non-award course at Macquarie Uni pay fees. Scholarship for Indigenous students. After passing 4 subjects walk into 2nd semester of degree of your choice study one semester do well and transfer to Uni of your choice or stay at Macquarie. Friend who did Yr 11 but not 12 admitted through this program this year and doing well. Had been out of school for 12 months.

Apply for Diploma of Languages at Macquarie Uni, no fees, Hecs based, no qualifications required. Study 4 subjects then tansfer to degree of your choice. Must apply before September 30 Applications open August.

Plan D: Want to do Medicine and didn't get the marks enrol in Science and do well transfer at the end of the year. Want to do law at UNSW apply for Social Work and then transfer course at the end of the semester.

Follow these plans and you will have choices and somewhere to go if Plan A fails

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Apart from the fact that you choose to have some issue with me soso, I agree with your post.
soso said:
If you do Art at OTEN your assessment mark can rise by as much as 5 marks because historically they get excellent results. In ranking imagine it as a coiled spring. Grab the spring and pull down. The students at the top show little downward movement but as your marks go down your results are more likely to be a lot less.
I just want people to be careful with this, enrolling in what is percieved to be a better institution will not automatically ensure you a boost in marks, only *you*, the student can ensure these marks.(and yes soso, I know that isn't what you inferred, but its important to make that point nonetheless.)
soso said:
Apply for Diploma of Languages at Macquarie Uni, no fees, Hecs based, no qualifications required. Study 4 subjects then tansfer to degree of your choice. Must apply before September 30 Applications open August.
This post is largely correct but I just want to add that this can only be studied as a part time diploma, and while you may not need any qualifications or other study, you do need to be currently enrolled at a tertiary institution to be considered for enrollment, however the Certificate of Languages(also offered by Macquarie) does not have this requisite of tertiary enrollment and you can transfer from Certificate to Diploma at a certain stage.
I have also made a post earlier about alternative entry into uni for anyone who wants more info on that stuff: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=1592461&postcount=2

soso

HSC
N/A
Institutions that have a long run of great results can help you get better marks as long as you co-operate.

Their is room to consider the teaching is better, more closely aligned to syllbus requirements and the resources are better. This is true of all places getting consistent high results.

I don't choose to have issues with you. You present with issues that need highlighting to the trusting

c0jo

HSC
sorry if it has been answered -

i am currently in year 12. if i want to repeat the hsc next year, will i HAVE to do the preliminary part of it aswell?

soso

HSC
N/A
If the BOS can give you a transcript in your Prelim subjects stating you completed them you can study those subjects at yr 12 level again without doing the prelim again

soso

HSC
N/A
Go to the board for the transcript because schools often tell students they didn't get prelim but are too lazy to fill out the paperwork and the board record says you did. The board record is the final decision

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c0jo said:
sorry if it has been answered -

i am currently in year 12. if i want to repeat the hsc next year, will i HAVE to do the preliminary part of it aswell?
If you wanted to do only the HSC course you can, though as has been said it would be best to show that you've passed it. One way is to just show the TAFE your HSC results from the end of this year that the BOS will send you, as students can only do the HSC after the prelim it would prove that were eligible to sit those subjects. It should also be noted that not all TAFEs offer separate programs for HSC and prelim, many are combined, so while you may not require a prelim statement from them that is what the class will initially be doing.

c0jo

HSC
thanx, sorry for asking the same question in like 10 different threads.

any idea if bradfield or north sydney allow uto do the HSC component only?
if u need to know the subjects;
maths ext.1, possibly ext.2
eng adv
eco
earth science
physics

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c0jo said:
thanx, sorry for asking the same question in like 10 different threads.

any idea if bradfield or north sydney allow uto do the HSC component only?
if u need to know the subjects;
maths ext.1, possibly ext.2
eng adv
eco
earth science
physics
*All* of Bradfield's classes are either prelim or HSC - no combined courses whatsoever. Also as shown in the other HSC at TAFE sticky in this forum, Bradfield does not run Ext 2 Maths or Earth Science or Economics. North Sydney runs mainly combined courses though they have all of your subjects I believe.

shonopono

I’m really lost!! I have checked the tafe website and it isn’t very clear. I want to do ex1 math (prelim and hsc) next year at either Hornsby or Ryde.
The site says u have to attend and open day and in another section it says u just show up on the enrolment day!?!
So how do I go about getting enrolled, and where do u find the dates for the open days?

soso

HSC
N/A
Open day and enrolment day is the same day. It is the first day back at TAFE see tafe calendar on website.

To ask for more details call Terry Pigott Head Teacher on 9472 1292 or Hornsby TAFE and ask for Bob Watts Both can give you exact dates and more info

Hornsby is a good tafe, safe and conflict free, teachers all know their stuff and are confident and good in the classroom. All you have to do is attend regularly and you will do well

daniandrow

HSC
i dont know about anywhere else but at bradfield i was offered to do both my prelim and hsc maths course at the same time it just meant 2 maths classes.......
bradfield was pretty flexible but kami is right when she says all the classes are either prelim or hsc but you can do both..........

HollyKFQ

HSC
N/A
I'm going to be doing year 11 and 12 again at TAFE starting next year, and what I want to know is whether it is better to do 3 combined preliminary and HSC subjects one year and the other 2/3 the next, or just do all preliminary one year and all HSC the next.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
HollyKFQ said:
I'm going to be doing year 11 and 12 again at TAFE starting next year, and what I want to know is whether it is better to do 3 combined preliminary and HSC subjects one year and the other 2/3 the next, or just do all preliminary one year and all HSC the next.
It really is completely up to you for neither mode is really better or worse in the long run as you are taking the same time anyway. You don't have to do it all one way or the other either - you could do some combined subjects mixed with some preliminary this year if you wanted. It is however best to play to your strengths in certain subjects or ones that need more practice, for example it would be my advice that 2unit maths and higher should be taken over 2 years like in school whereas for 2unit english there is little point for capable students to do that mode of study. You also have to look at whether you want to do any extension courses - these can often be made fundamentally easier by doing the 2 unit component in the previous year eg ancient or modern history in combined form one year then history extension the next, english advanced combined in one year then english extension 1 and 2 the next, mathematics+extension one year, and math extension 2 the next, visual arts one year and extension the next - you get the picture. So basically look at what skills you need to develop in each course and how much time you think you'll need to build them in your subjects.

Sugar

HSC
Argh. I think I want to re-do hsc at tafe after I got my UAI.

I feel like crud.

Is it possible to get over 95+ UAI at Tafe? Or better yet, 98+?

Last edited:
HSC
one of my friend's her bf dropped high school in year 10 and finished the hsc in 1 year and getting accepted into UNI...

lucky bastard

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Sugar said:
Argh. I think I want to re-do hsc at tafe after I got my UAI.

I feel like crud.

Is it possible to get over 95+ UAI at Tafe? Or better yet, 98+?
One of my classmates at TAFE in 2004 got 99.75 for her UAI and she achieved a state ranking in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension. So as you can see, the sky is the limit - its completely up to you and your skills.

Sugar

HSC
kami said:
One of my classmates at TAFE in 2004 got 99.75 for her UAI and she achieved a state ranking in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension. So as you can see, the sky is the limit - its completely up to you and your skills.
Whoa, that's so good! Did she do it in one year or over two years? Or did she repeat? I need 97 to get into my course, and I think I have enough determination to do that (well, I'm praying). I don't know. I'm just scared I'll be scaled down or something.

Looks like tafe for me. It don't feel so bad anymore.

Kogarah Tafe doesn't offer HSC right? Grr.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Sugar said:
Whoa, that's so good! Did she do it in one year or over two years? Or did she repeat? I need 97 to get into my course, and I think I have enough determination to do that (well, I'm praying). I don't know. I'm just scared I'll be scaled down or something.

Looks like tafe for me. It don't feel so bad anymore.

Kogarah Tafe doesn't offer HSC right? Grr.
She did it all in one year, and yes she was repeating as she had had health issues which barred her from attermpting mid-yearlies onward at school. She had a full time job at the time as well.(woooh go Janelle!):)

And there is no scaling down or up regarding TAFE - what *does* matter is how your class performs as a group and how you perform within that class. And of course the final exam.

And Kogarah TAFE doesn't have a HSC program but some of the ones relatively near you that you might be interested in are Gymea, Bankstown and Randwick or alternatively OTEN via correspondence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)