HSC and how it's marked (1 Viewer)

Frantelle_08

HSC
Ok, At our school no teacher agrees on what each other say about how the HSC ATAR is marked.

This is what I got from one teacher:

After all your assessment marks are ranked in each subject, (ie got rank of 2 in Biology) then during the actual HSC written examination 50% of your HSC written mark is taken (ie got 94/100 so 47 is taken)

and

50% of the second ranking mark is taken of the HSC written examination (ie, 2nd highest score was 90/100 so 45 is taken and used as mine because I got an overall rank of 2)

and so I get a total of 47+45 = 92 /100 for my HSC mark in the written exam ..

no???
others teachers say that your assessment marks get scaled and that you wouldn't "steal" other peoples scores.. etc?..

I don't know who to believe.!!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol.

Well, i've heard both from different people. Just make sure you do well overall... thats the only secret to it.

Matt2233

HSC
Ok, At our school no teacher agrees on what each other say about how the HSC ATAR is marked.

This is what I got from one teacher:

After all your assessment marks are ranked in each subject, (ie got rank of 2 in Biology) then during the actual HSC written examination 50% of your HSC written mark is taken (ie got 94/100 so 47 is taken)

and

50% of the second ranking mark is taken of the HSC written examination (ie, 2nd highest score was 90/100 so 45 is taken and used as mine because I got an overall rank of 2)

no???
others teachers say that your assessment marks get scaled and that you wouldn't "steal" other peoples scores.. etc?..

I don't know who to believe.!!

The first teacher is pretty much spot on, one of the best explanations ive heard a teacher give...

zzzz12345

HSC
The first teacher is pretty much spot on, one of the best explanations ive heard a teacher give...
It's not exactly true but it is a somewhat accurate simplification.
To calculate your overall HSC mark, BOS uses a combination of your external (written exam mark) and your internal (school assessment mark) which are averaged out to create your overall mark.
Your external mark is what you get in the actual HSC exam and is not influenced by your school marks.
Your internal mark is based on your school rank and the performance of your cohort. In assigning these internal marks, the top external mark will be equal to the top internal mark and the bottom external mark will be equal to the bottom internal mark.
For the ranks in between it is not as simple as assigning the second person the second highest external mark as their internal and etc.
Consider this situation. Person A ranked first internally and person B ranked 2nd internally by 1 mark. In the actual HSC exam Person B got the top external mark (say 95) and person A got the second highest (say 80). Now Person A would get 80 as their external and 95 as their internal but considering that person B came second internally by just one mark it would be really unfair to them if they simply got 80 as their internal mark.
To prevent such a situation occurring the internal marks are assigned to be relative to the differences/gaps in marks so that it would be more likely that Person B would get 93 or 94 as their internal and end up with an overall HSC mark of around 94 rather than 88 (if they got an external of 95 and an internal of 80).
Basically moral of the story is work hard, study smart and try to maximise your marks. Then you’re on your way to achieving the ATAR you want. Good luck and all the best for your HSC.

K

Kozak92

Are you sure? I'm willing to believe you but the fact that you're still doing the HSC hurts your post.

If you're right though +1. Finally a confirmation of how the system works.

Matt2233

HSC
Are you sure? I'm willing to believe you but the fact that you're still doing the HSC hurts your post.

If you're right though +1. Finally a confirmation of how the system works.
As the poster below me stated, its a model of how the system works.

Although there are some parts the teacher didn't mention, realistically they said all a HSC student needs to know in order to understand how the system works and to ensure they don't bludge through assessments.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A

Kralex

HSC
This part is bullshit. You DO NOT receive the second highest exam mark if you are ranked second on assessment.

This is how the BOS explains moderation. You should try to understand it.
Step 7 – Moderating assessment marks - Board of Studies NSW
Eh from the website:

It also sets the top school assessment to be equal to the top examination mark, and sets the bottom assessment mark to be equal to (or close to) the bottom examination mark.
Doesn't sound like bullshit..

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Get a grip! The OP asked about the SECOND highest exam mark, not the top exam mark. Read the link and learn .....

Otherwise try this explanation. It also includes real life examples (where the second highest moderated assessment is NOT the second highest exam mark).
http://www.users.on.net/~unix/HSCmarks.pdf

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Your teacher is close but not quite there. Ranks do not mean everything (unless you go to a shat school and you want 98+ etc etc) but marks or more specifically marks gaps do.

Assessment marks are not ranked, they are moderated based on the strength of your cohort (judged by your cohort's performance for that subject in the
HSC exams).

I am confused about the parts in bold, could you please clarify what you mean?

And yes, your final mark is an average of your HSC exam mark and your moderated school assessment mark.

no???
Aligning is the process which tries to ensure that no one "steals" anyone else's mark. Scaling is another story and that has to do with getting your ATAR which is different to the marks BOS gives you.

Kralex

HSC
Get a grip! The OP asked about the SECOND highest exam mark, not the top exam mark. Read the link and learn .....

Otherwise try this explanation. It also includes real life examples (where the second highest moderated assessment is NOT the second highest exam mark).
http://www.users.on.net/~unix/HSCmarks.pdf

Eh if top gets top and bottom gets bottom, then I can assume that second would get second.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Eh if top gets top and bottom gets bottom, then I can assume that second would get second.
You would assume wrong though.

The top and bottom marks set the range for the school but the marks in between take into account the relative gaps sent in by the school among other things. The range and total marks are the same but not necessarily the marks.

e.g.

Marks sent in: 92, 88, 85, 76, 60, 55

Exam marks: 97, 96, 81, 76, 75, 70 - total = 495

It would be wrong to give the exact exam marks as the gaps wouldn't be right and the gaps are important to be able to do a fair comparison across the state.

Moderated marks would look something like: 97, 91 (reflects the gap between first and second sent in by the school), 85, 80, 72, 70 total = 495

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
you would assume wrong though.

The top and bottom marks set the range for the school but the marks in between take into account the relative gaps sent in by the school among other things. The range and total marks are the same but not necessarily the marks.

E.g.

Marks sent in: 92, 88, 85, 76, 60, 55

exam marks: 97, 96, 81, 76, 75, 70 - total = 495

it would be wrong to give the exact exam marks as the gaps wouldn't be right and the gaps are important to be able to do a fair comparison across the state.

Moderated marks would look something like: 97, 91 (reflects the gap between first and second sent in by the school), 85, 80, 72, 70 total = 495
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)