HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Pressure From Parents

Is anyone under immense parental pressure.

My parents are the exact opposite.
I Have half yearlies next week, and my parents told me i wasnt allowed to 'hit the books' at all this weekend ( despite me squeezing an eco essay in )

I hate it, i feel if they said 'get 90 or You'll * insert something bad* id push harder.

Anyone got anything to share?

Muz4PM

HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

My parents just want me to do my best. If they know I have been slack, then I think they will be a little cheesed off, but they know I am only hurting myself. I don't get really any pressure from them, I am the one who is putting the pressure on myself and making myself study etc, so they know through my habits that I have not been slack.

Your parents sound pretty cool though, demanding you don't study lol.

ccc123

HSC

Yeah, my parents don't really push me either. Its basically 'it's up to you to study and if you don;t you fail at life and we don't care.' So many of my friends, (many of which are asian), are always talking about how strict and stuff their parents are, and I can't help but agree in some respects, it would be good if I was pushed just a bit. But then again, if youwant to do well (which i do, and I'm sure you do), and with the pressure you already get from school, do we really need that extra pressure from parents, or would it actually push us over the edge? (like I've seen happen).

Muz4PM

HSC

It helps if you have a large ego which you want to preserve :D.

But seriously, I guess if you want a little more parental pushing, approach them and say, "I appreciate your concerns etc, but if you think I am not putting in enough effort etc etc let me know."

They were probably concerned about burnout. I am sure they want you to do well, just as you want yourself to do well, so I am sure they would oblige if you asked.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

ccc123
i agree many asians are pushed very hard-but thats their nature. yeah i want to do well, and im stressing, because i dont think i will get the desired marks.

muz4pm

My parents dont push me because

a.My dad is quite successful in finance, and he left in y10, so hes like in the corporate world, theres many ways in ( which is what i want to do)

b. My mum finished y12 doing crazy subjects and getting crazy marks, but i play sport and she knows tertiary education=sport for me.

regardless id still like them to say, aaron turn of entourage and study ( note: if they said that as if id turn of entourage)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

terminator69 said:
Why would they tell you you can't study? unless you had a family event to attend?
Because they don't believe y12 should be study study study

infact they regularaly tell me high school is the best time of your life, enjoy it.

terminator69

HSC

risole91 said:
infact they regularaly tell me high school is the best time of your life, enjoy it.
Haha! no...

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

terminator69 said:
Haha! no...
i just have this feeling everything will work out whether i got 91 or 71.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

ccc123 said:
There are positive aspects of school life, its just that they're so frequently overshadowed by the stressful or negative aspects.
exactly.
many people turn 18 ect.

I think as important as school is, overall this should be a great year!

ccc123

HSC

risole91 said:
ccc123
i agree many asians are pushed very hard-but thats their nature. yeah i want to do well, and im stressing, because i dont think i will get the desired marks.
I think your/our parents approach is healthier though, Like, for so many of my friends, its just such a narrow-minded focus:

Study---> get into medicine, law or something prestigious---> more study--> honours---job.

To me, its just like their sole focus is academia. It's not a well rounded or holistic approach to school, or life in general.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

ccc123 said:
I think your/our parents approach is healthier though, Like, for so many of my friends, its just such a narrow-minded focus:

Study---> get into medicine, law or something prestigious---> more study--> honours---job.

To me, its just like their sole focus is academia. It's not a well rounded or holistic approach to school, or life in general.
exactly.

i think if i got like a 60UAI
my parents would still be somewhat dissapointed, but we would move on.

as opposed to People who get 'whipped'' for getting 99.90 and missing medicine at USYD.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

-WaxingLyrical- said:
+ 1

Aaron, I reckon you're fairly lucky with your parents not pressuring you. Its worse when they do because then you have to do deal with this enormous amount of pressure on top of your own - you'd be surprised how many people collapse under the stress, esp at my school.

Plus year 12's your last year of high school - its meant to be fun :D
Hey you know my name :)
whats yours?

Yeah sometimes i feel lucky, because when i stop stressing, i can really relax, as opposed to some who just arnt allowed to relax.

What school do you go to?
at my school, although my grade is ment to be a big hope, we dont get many high achieving students.

ccc123

HSC

risole91 said:
i just have this feeling everything will work out whether i got 91 or 71.
Yeah, this is how i see things. Yes, I really want to maximise my marks, but in teh end, i know deep down I'll survive if I fall short.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

ccc123 said:
Yeah, this is how i see things. Yes, I really want to maximise my marks, but in teh end, i know deep down I'll survive if I fall short.
Everyone in here, will end up doing well.
I want to get 90, would be awesome if i did, but tbh its mainly for vanity (is that the right word) issues.

So i look good.

UAI isnt even needed where i want to go.

ccc123

HSC

risole91 said:
Hey you know my name :)
whats yours?

Yeah sometimes i feel lucky, because when i stop stressing, i can really relax, as opposed to some who just arnt allowed to relax.

What school do you go to?
at my school, although my grade is ment to be a big hope, we dont get many high achieving students.
It also says "Aaron's own utopia' in your location :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

-WaxingLyrical- said:
Haha, yeah not stalking you, you said it in a comment before. I'm ani. Go to NSG. Yeah, pressure? esp with all the superhuman asians there :)

I guess it also comes down to the amount of pressure you put on yourself (and your temperament). So maybe the parental problem wouldn't matter so much if a person didn't place that much importance on stuff themself? Make sense?
yeah it does make sense. Its all up to the individual. :)

thats a good school, i see why you feel the pressure!
i take it your not asian?

Last edited:

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

Charity F said:
i'm always getting told that currys are asians. which is true. but how else are you supposed to differentiate? it just sounds weird saying 'oriental asians'... it's not like i'm being detrimental or anything.

same applies for 'white', etc?
i know this may sound rascist, but i assume that most 'curries' ( you said it, not me ) and asians are smart.

I know thats a terrible generalisation, but generally they have pressure, and good schools to back it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)