HSC Advanced English Paper 2 Thoughts (1 Viewer)

MrGresh

HSC
guys wtf did you actually end up writing for mod c? I wrote about death and now im so mad at myself lol I genuinely didn't even realise it was a fcking cliche until I left the exam and my english teachers words echoed in my mind "don't EVER write about death, relationships or drug use!"
big oopsies...every second kid in the fking state wrote about that omg
I wrote about some dude in the army trying to uncover some misconduct and then just getting told to shut up

So like focussing on the "words,.ideas, dry and dead as dust bit"

pine-apple01320

HSC
N/A
guys do they care about word length - like if they saw a 7 page responses vs like a 9 page response, would they be more likely to give that one full marks rather than one that's a tiny bit shorter? Like would their first impression be better coz its longer?

MrGresh

HSC
guys do they care about word length - like if they saw a 7 page responses vs like a 9 page response, would they be more likely to give that one full marks rather than one that's a tiny bit shorter? Like would their first impression be better coz its longer?
Not neccisarily! I mean, it's easier to give longer responses more marks because there is more content there, but its heavily dependant on the quality of the writing.

Also, remember that handwriting size varies massively between individuals. So, one person's 7 pager can be equal to another's 9 pager in terms of words.

beetree1

HSC
Pretty sure UAC scales straight from your raw marks and that UAC never receives your HSC marks.

i.e. raw marks go to NESA and UAC. NESA produces your individual subject scores and UAC produces your atar. The two are independent of each other.
wait what how does that work... pretty sure nesa is in charge of both. uac is just for uni admissions, they send your nesa hsc marks to high schools so they can adjust your selection score?

beetree1

HSC
guys wtf did you actually end up writing for mod c? I wrote about death and now im so mad at myself lol I genuinely didn't even realise it was a fcking cliche until I left the exam and my english teachers words echoed in my mind "don't EVER write about death, relationships or drug use!"
big oopsies...every second kid in the fking state wrote about that omg
my teacher said that if you talk about a confronting issue like something personal eg some sort of trauma, or death, the markers would instantly sympathise with you and they would likely give u a good mark

beetree1

HSC
I've read a lot of people's 'reviews' of the Module B question (Eliot) and they are all saying that they wrote about poems X and Y. I had analysis from all five of them and wrote more thematic paragraphs, like paralysis, decay etc. My teacher would always talk about 'Eliot's suite of poetry' and say that it's good to 'dip in' to multiple poems, so I was under the impression that this was the more common way of analysing the poems, but apparently not? Can someone please reassure me that this approach is valid. I was really confident going into mod B as I got 19 in my trial (same method, only 3 poems) and now I'm perplexed.
It depends on the question. I would not be doing more than 3 poems for any question. Did you have 5 whole paragraphs on each poem? And are they indepth enough?
Considering yesterday's question, as long as you had answered the question well, ie explored his purpose and his use of techniques in a concise and thorough manner, I'm sure it would have been fine.

MrGresh

HSC
wait what how does that work... pretty sure nesa is in charge of both. uac is just for uni admissions, they send your nesa hsc marks to high schools so they can adjust your selection score?
UAC definitely is in charge of scaling. Not sure about what marks they get thought (although the marks they recieve are DEFINITELY moderated between schools!)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
This flowchart should hopefully clarify:

MrGresh

HSC
Oh wow, thats great! Thanks :)

jasminerulez

HSC
N/A
thanks!

Xanthi

HSC
my friend in the trials wrote 8 pages for Mod C and got 6/12 and I wrote legit 1.5 pages (struggled with time) and got 9/12, I hope that answers your question
Quality > Quantity
Yes, this. I am fairly sure if your 500 are good *enough*, you can still get 20/20. As in, it's not impossible but it has to be better than what it would take a 1000 word piece to get 20/20, but it is possible. A borderline 20/20 1000 word piece probably becomes a 19/20 550 ish word piece as long as plot is interesting, coherent and you show a meaningful transformation.

realtable

HSC
If you write about culture, immigrant, race, minorities, LBGT+, markers will gobble that stuff up
my teacher said that if you talk about a confronting issue like something personal eg some sort of trauma, or death, the markers would instantly sympathise with you and they would likely give u a good mark
if you want to deal with a difficult topic in mod c, you have to strike a balance between something that's not too cliche and something that's not too controversial. sympathy only runs up to a certain point, and unfortunately stuff like immigration and LGBTQ issues would not be taken too kindly by a number of teachers. remember: you write answers to please all markers, not some markers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)