HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

Okay this is what i think it is:
So after they are told at least one has green eyes they have a little talk. One dragon says "You have green eyes" and the other says " you also have green eyes" This continues until all die. Or until there is one left. Or if the dragons are nice they lie and only kill 2 dragons who both tell each other they have green eyes.
EDIT: solution is amazing...

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

I have seen the "eyes" problem in a multitude of contexts. My favourite logic puzzle is the one involving three deities and head exploding embedded question lemmas.

braintic

HSC
N/A

Okay this is what i think it is:
So after they are told at least one has green eyes they have a little talk. One dragon says "You have green eyes" and the other says " you also have green eyes" This continues until all die. Or until there is one left. Or if the dragons are nice they lie and only kill 2 dragons who both tell each other they have green eyes.
EDIT: solution is amazing...
They THINK - they don't talk about it.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Well ... if the Abrahamic god is there, it is either "false" or "random".
Id like to argue against that but thats not up to probability so its ruled out. Also this isn't the place to talk about that :)

awesome-0_4000

HSC
N/A

Edit: The first (b)(iii) should be labeled (b)(ii) and the coefficient in front of the integral expression for a_n should be \frac{1}{\pi}.
Are people avoiding this due to length/irrelevance/perceived difficulty?

If so I can assure you it's all bark and no bite, and a decent test of simple integration and series, whilst also showing a cool result.

TigerBrah

HSC

i am not getting most of these questions, is this a worry !! :(

glittergal96

HSC

i am not getting most of these questions, is this a worry !! :(
No mate, don't worry too much about it...especially if you are at the start of your HSC year. This thread is mostly just quite high level students / uni students pushing each other by asking interesting questions outside syllabus.

Doing well in these kinda questions bodes well for your general mathematical development (and they are fun!), but definitely aren't required to do well in the HSC course. (Some of these questions would probably not be doable by some of the people I know who scored the 99-100 range).

Last edited:

glittergal96

HSC

While this thread has been bumped, I might as well answer this question because it is pretty cool.

Basically the idea is that we are doing something that in spirit is very much like calculus but on sequences rather than on functions.

If u(n) is a sequence defined on the natural numbers, then we denote it's sequence of differences (the analogue of derivative) by (Du(n):=u(n+1)-u(n)).

We denote it's summation (the analogue of integral) by

Just like in calculus, these two operations are pretty much inverses to each other. We have (SDu)(n)=u(n+1)-u(0) and (DSu)(n)=u(n+1).

This question is then basically asking us to show that all sequences u that solve the equation are polynomial sequences of degree k. Induction is clearly the way to go, and the base case of k=0 is trivial.

Supposing then that we have the result for taking < k differences, solving the equation is the same as solving the equation where p is a polynomial of degree k-1. By rescaling, we might as well assume p is monic.

The claim is that this latter equation has a polynomial solution of degree k. It is clear that solutions, if they exist, are unique up to constants (again notice the parallels with differentiation and differential equations.)

Now let

By direct computation is a polynomial of degree m-1.

This means that is a monic polynomial of degree m-1 with m-2 coefficient matching that of p, for a suitable choice of constant . Continuing this process of subtracting constant multiples of the lower order to successively match the coefficients of p we end up with a polynomial q of degree m which solves Dq=p. (Writing this out fully is a basic induction.)

By our earlier remark on uniqueness, this completes the proof.

Last edited:

KX

HSC

Wow didn't know that a thread like this existed! Can someone post a question please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)