HSC 2007 - Question 22 (b) (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Just say that lowering Sulfur year by year will be better for the environment because as lower amount of SO2 emitted the better air quality. SO2 also reacts with water to form acid rain, so the lower the SO2 the less acid rain which is good for building, limestones, rocks etc.

HSC
It is important to reduce the amount of suplur in the atmosphere because sulfur reacts with oxygen forming sulfur dioxide

Acid rain affects both the urban (destroy historically important structures) and natural environment (damages vegetation in forests and reduce pH of rivers and lakes)

Sulfur dioxide also has an irritating effect on respiratory systems and reduces the quality of life for people. The sulfur reduction policy is valuable as it reduces the effect of all theses situations

hope this helps... plz give me a good rep... want to at least have a green again :)

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
SO2 also reacts with water to form acid rain, so the lower the SO2 the less acid rain which is good for building, limestones, rocks etc.
The sulfur in petrol and diesel is oxidised during combustion to sulfur dioxide.
S8 + 8 O2 --> 8 SO2

The sulfur dioxide enters the atmosphere where it is oxidised by the hydroxyl radical and then by oxygen to sulfur trioxide.
SO2 + OH. --> HOSO2.
HOSO2. + O2 --> HO2. + SO3

The sulfur trioxide reacts with water vapour forming sulfuric acid.
SO3 + H2O --> H2SO4

---

Dilute sulfuric acid attacks iron, aluminium, zinc, manganese and nickel metals to release metal ions. Aluminium has no known biological role and considered a neurotoxin.

The acid reduces the pH of surface water. At a pH less than 5 most fish eggs do not hatch and fish and other animals are killed.

Acid leaches essential nutrients out of soil. For example magnesium ions locked in clay are leached and washed away.

Acid reacts with calcium carbonate in limestone, sandstone, marble and granite to produce calcium sulfate which gets washed away.
CaCO3 + H2SO4 --> CaSO4 + CO2 + H2O

---

Sulfate aerosols contribute to reduced visibility in cities due to the presence of smog, and in volcanic regions due to vog.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
holy fuck i hated that question.
though i did more explanation than calculation.
the calculation of that was one of the big ones talked about after the exam.

mR sinister

HSC
Hmm yep, i would talk about all of the above,
but im pretty sure u need to include calculations..

ppm= mg/kg

Shouldn't be too hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)