Hrm, what should i do? (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Hey,

I have an aim of 99.8, but I dont know how to get it. These are the subjects I do:
4 maths
4 english
2 eco
2 business

I go to SBHS. Every year, 125 people get over 90 UAI, and 23-24 get over 99. 1/3 of business students get band 6, most of economics, VERY few for english, 120 for 3u maths, and 90 for 4u maths. These are approximate figures.

Assuming I get (as a hsc mark):
96 for business
93 economics
91 for 2u english
96 for 3u maths
95 for 4u maths

I get a mark of 99.75. However, to get this to go to 99.8, i'll need to get 48 in 4u english, or 46 in 3u english. From previous years, we do not get many into band e4 for extension english subjects. So in your opinion, should i drop both english units? Stick to 2u english adv, and try to get a band 6 in that? Which subjects should i try and get higher marks in to improve my UAI even more?

eg: I can drop 3 nad 4 english, and get following:
97 in bus
96 in eco
90 in english adv
98 in 3 maths
96 in 4 maths
and i have a uai estimate of 99.9. Im not bad at english, its just that my school doesnt perform well in english. We have an incompetent english staff room. Anyway, the last one is a bit unrealistic, nie?

I mean i can get 94 in 2u english and i'll get 100 uai. LOL, im dreaming. But I think you see what i mean/what im asking advice on. Any help would be appreciated.

btw, i used jm1234567890's uai calculator. I must say that his calculator is immensely useful...and free, even though its in alpha. Hope you dont mind me using it jm1234. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i got 97 3u maths and 96 4u maths, and i go to a regional school, so those maths marks are very possible.

However, i do warn you my predictor seems to estimate a little high. if you 100% need 99.9, i suggest you get marks that display 99.95 or 100 on the predictor.

Maths does scale better than english, but scaling doesn't matter much if you do really well. However, considering you are estimating 90 in english you prolly should drop the english and stick with maths, assuming you are sure you will do really well in bus and eco.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, don't get caught up in a hype to do 4u english. rukawasan did that and ended up dropping 3 and 4u late in the year (wot a waste! :rolleyes: ) make an honest judgement about ur english ability. it takes a lot of work and dedication to do well in ext english so really think about it b4 its too late

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Hrm, I will not get band 6 in 3u english. I have Bryden, we are doing a new topic which she has never taught before, and I do not have anyone to help me improve my english. I have read books since i was very young, so my grammar and spelling is perfect, but I have never been taught the process/method of writing formal essays/pieces. I very highly doubt I will get band E4 or whatever the heck it is.

For 4u, i stand a chance. As i said, ive read heaps of books, i can imitate authors who i thought succeeded. And my short story proposal got 10/10. But then heaps of people got that. Hrm!

I came top 35 in 2u maths, top 8 in business. I can very definitely improve on these marks ( i dont know other subjects yet).

Im really thinking of dropping both 3 and 4 unit english. HRM HRM, cant decide.

BTW, im not saying im bad at english. Im actually quite good. But Im not sure if Im good enough to get band 6, esp at our school. Anyone know how many people usually get band 6 in 2u adv english and 3u english?

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
what the hell. I got curious, and i bought the UAISeeker. this is stuffed, I chose Business Studies as one of my subjects right? Well, uaiseeker seems to not count that as one of my 10 units at all! I have to get into the top 1% band. the heck, if its scaling is that bad, I wouldnt have chosen it.

ffs, our careers advisor told us that scaling didnt affect us. ah well. That means to get my 2u business to count, im gonna hafta get 100 in business. lol, not very good, as im thinking of dropping both 3 and 4 unit english.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
By looking at your marks, your 4U English and 4U Maths will definitely count. Those are very top marks, hope you are very proud of them.

But looking at Business Studies and Economics, there is a 3 HSC mark difference.

If you look at the scaled means in 2002, you'd find that in the end, Economics will end up with a higher scaled mark than Business studies. And hence your Business studies will not count.

Originally posted by mweep
the heck, if its scaling is that bad, I wouldnt have chosen it.
Well, in either case you'd have to do some other subject to make up the 4 subjects required by the Board of Studies.

Why would you have wanted to pick another subject if it's scaling was bad?

That would only mean that some other subject will not count, such as Economics, and you might complain that If economics was that bad scaling you would of chosen another. [/end loop] :D :D :p

But yes, you will end up with a very high UAI regardless.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
mweep... wots ur real name... did u buy the leading edge workshop workbook frm me coupla weeks ago... cos dat quote in ur sig was in that wkbook?

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
mweep... im a sbhs 2003... u prolly seen me bt sometimes...
n as someone whos been thru it all... let me tell u this... n im sure pigs'll second my advice (he'll prolly dux 2003)...

Please do not get too caught up in this overrated competitive me versus you 'fuck i need to get 100 in my uai' shit... trust me... u'll do alot better to ignore it... personally i think ur setting urself up for a big fall by thinking bt all this rite now... its just too early... n trust me again... estimating ur own uai is addictive n bloody dangerous... neways... my advice is to stop worrying bt all this... n work consistently throughout the year...

hsc yr in a selective school is a stressful time... n towards the mid next yr u'll find that the only thing u'll talk bt everytime u opne ur mouth would b ur next assessment or wot did this person or that person get in the last assessment... its a really stressful time n by worrying so much u'll find urself in a lot of stress if u slip a lil n dont get ur ideal mark...

dont get me wrong im not saying that ur not gud or wont get ur mark but these things happen... eg... its happend 2 me personally... bt this time last yr... i too was caught up in the ssame problem as u are now...

i started off with...

4u english
3u math
3u latin
2u ecos... thats 12 units altogehter...
n i was seriously considering whether i shoudl drop 3 n 4 u eng so that i can spare more n devote more time to my other subjects... i was srsly up myself at that time... like totally over my head in my own abilities in english cos i came 1st in ext 1 eng n 3rd in eng adv in yr 11... n decided to do 3 n 4 u eng... but the mistake i made was thinking that eng as a suject is as stable as say... maths... cos its really not... eng is very very subjective... just cos u did well in one yr dosnt mean u'll do the same the next yr... n one thing i totally misunderstood was how much time eng... whether it b 2u, or 3 or 4u takes... n blieve me... i ended up wasting a whole lot fo time on 3 n 4 u eng which i ended up dropping bcos i simply didnt have enuf time... n in the end i prolly spent more time on eng adv than any other subject... so my advice on 3 n 4 u eng is this... keep them... but only if u really have the dedication n are willing to devote a huge proportion of ur time to them... cos u will not do well if u dont... n also dont get ur hopes up... cos like i sed its a volatile subject... n u'll easily get marked donw on something u consider a masterpiece but ur teacher wont... n oh yeh... our eng department is a load of shit... so dont expect much help frm them... esp shepherd n jones... n selway... n ross... they are a load of lying sonofabitches...

last advice... dont get too caught up in all this uai estimating... its too early... n it just puts too much pressure on u to perform n if u dont u'll b really upset... n mayb even sink into a depression like a frnd of mine... who was top 10 in the school at the beginning of last yr... but got so depressed he didnt even have the guts to sit the trials exams...

if u want more help in wotever... feel free to pm me... as a fellow sbhser i'll b glad 2 b of any help...

ps... me n pigs are offering our eng essays as a package... (we came 1st n 3rd respectively)... thats 2 essays for each module... 6 essays alltogether for the discounted price fo 20 bukcs... lol

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
oo! Thats some pretty darn good advice. Im dropping 3u and 4u english on monday. lol.

BTW, i bought those essays off you, you mofo puck! (btw, yes, that guy who bought the leading edge workshop book off you was me) Whats the point if you sell them to other people as well? This is what you said: "imagine the advantage you'll have, having 20/20 essays!" more or less. LOL, :D, im joking, but you see what i mean. hehehe

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mweep
oo! Thats some pretty darn good advice. Im dropping 3u and 4u english on monday. lol.
after you put all that work into your proposal. shame

but yes, its true, its a bit hard to do really well in 3/4u eng, i suggest you keep what youre good at and try your best in those instead of spreading out your load so much

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
gnrnrn. now your making me go Urm again. :S

Thing is, I dont want to put in heaps of effort into 3 and 4u english, only to find that I stuff up at the end. The proposal, I've done, and its only a proposal. hehee, the amount of work i put into the proposal shouldnt really be a reason for me NOT to drop 4u english. I'll think about it over the weekend.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
to complete 4u english, IMO, you need to have your heart in it, not just for now, but throughout the whole of 2004. i personally think it takes a lot of effort, unless one is not burdened by 4u maths... i ended up dropping 4english just before trials, coz it was either fail trials, or do 4eng... it was an easy choice.

chill out - the next hsc is 11 months people.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
thats exactly why im thinking of dropping 3u and 4u english. 4U takes too much effort, and 3u i prolly wont get band E4 for the reasons listed above. AND im doing 4u maths. urm m

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ok. I've made my decision. Im gonna keep both 3u english AND 4u english, at least till my 'half-yearlies'. Wish me luck!

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
cyph... thats exactly wot i did... but in the end i opted to drop 4u as well cos trials was in my face n ive barely started on my reflection statement... but its a gud way... lol... just make sure u dont slack off like i did...

Phatphil

hey mweep!

who r u really?

I am doing 4 eng, 4 maths at high too, and i don't know whether to drop something cos im doing 14 units already....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)