How would i tackle this E.C essay question? (1 Viewer)

Righty-0

How does intertextuality enhance the meaning of both of the texts you have studied?

i was wondering how i could go about answering this question. It's for transformation - Emma/Clueless

How would i structure my response? what kind of quotes would i use?

Nupil

HSC
N/A
intertexuality in Emma?

... am I the only one that finds that a bit strange? Naturally you have mounds of intertexuality in Clueless - but where is it evident in Emma!?

Righty-0

intertextuality as in ..... intertextuality in between the texts

eg
if you read emma then watch clueless, you would see some scene/theme references from emma
and vice-versa

Dangar

Originally posted by Nupil
intertexuality in Emma?
Hmm.. well i guess if you just looked at both Emma and Clueless as individual texts, not in any time frame or context then you could get intertextuality in both. Emma from Clueless and Clueless from Emma, but I agree it does sound dodgy. Does Emma have any strong links to other Jane Austen novels?

sneaker

where did you get that question from? no offence but it's a little dodgy because yes there is evidence of "Emma" in "Clueless" but you could hardly argue that "Clueless" has influenced "Emma". The process of transformation includes incorporating new values, so the stuff that is retained in "Clueless" (from "Emma") doesn't add meaning to the new text, instead the new values do.

So i'm sorry that this hasn't helped but I can't imagine a question so tautological in the HSC

special K

intertextuality.... i think u guys have the idea a little too narrow minded. sure u can find lots of Emma influenced scenes in Clueless but thats not all u are restricted to. Look closely and there are TONS of post modernist injections in that film... cher coming down the stairs for her date with josh with the music from "Gigi" playing in the background...um... Tai's haircolour being washed down the bathbub drain is reminiscent of film 'psycho' etc...

so vice versa if we're talking about intertextuality in Emma its not how Clueless influences Emma... its texts and context from the time Emma was written influencing it. For example the hints towards the industrial revolution and neopoleanic wars which supports the idea of Emma's need for an insular world within Highbury... our teacher also said that apparently theres some mention of famous novels in Emma but we had no idea so kinda ignored that...

anyway, hope that helped

slyball

enhancing the meaning of both texts.. hmm
perhaps, through the analysis and comparision of both texts you could see that although values have changed over time, the themes are essentially the same .'. human nature is timeless, despite people's actions being based on their respective time period.

so you can also see that emma was being used as a vessel by austen to convey her opinions on society while clueless can then be seen as a vessel for herkerling about the similarities and differences shown through transformation of the text (sexuality, social status, mannerisms, etc). this enhances the meaning of the two texts by generating reflections and awareness on the changing themes presented.

or something like that. i'm too tired. exam in 2 hours. aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i'm not ready. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)