• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How was your school day? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Well yeah, should they? The only high school subject that is relevant to the 'dramatic arts' is Drama, what other subject could I have taken up? Besides if there was one thing I learnt in Years 9 and 10 it is that Drama at my school is shit. If a different teacher taught it I'd be doing it, but as it is there's no way I would put myself through that hell.
well that sucks. so what course were you thinking of in uni?

you just sound like an englishy-commercy person. that's why.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Charity F said:
well that sucks. so what course were you thinking of in uni?

you just sound like an englishy-commercy person. that's why.
Don't even know if I'm thining of uni anymore. I was contemplating Media Arts and Production at UTS but I don't think my UAI will be high enough, so I had been thinking about independent film schools but I was chatting with the director of BWH yesterday and he was like "yeah film schools are a joke, they can only teach you so much, the REAL stuff you can only learn through work experience" which is completely true and a valid point imo.

Yeah but again, that would just be because the subjects I do are english-commerce-y. Because I go to a selective school that doesn't offer many fun creative subjects. And anyway, if I'm interested in film making and all that jazz, there's not really a subject offered by BOS that caters to that area. I don't think you'll find anyone who is interested in acting/directing/etc whose subjects reflect that interest, because those subjects don't exist. You can only study what's available.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Don't even know if I'm thining of uni anymore. I was contemplating Media Arts and Production at UTS but I don't think my UAI will be high enough, so I had been thinking about independent film schools but I was chatting with the director of BWH yesterday and he was like "yeah film schools are a joke, they can only teach you so much, the REAL stuff you can only learn through work experience" which is completely true and a valid point imo.

Yeah but again, that would just be because the subjects I do are english-commerce-y. Because I go to a selective school that doesn't offer many fun creative subjects. And anyway, if I'm interested in film making and all that jazz, there's not really a subject offered by BOS that caters to that area. I don't think you'll find anyone who is interested in acting/directing/etc whose subjects reflect that interest, because those subjects don't exist. You can only study what's available.
you shouldn't rule out the uni course all the same. and wouldn't you need something to flash in your future boss's eyes to show them that you perhaps have an idea of what you're doing?

bos probably doesn't cater for that because there's alreay institutions that cater for it. but fair enough. did the director poke you in any direction?

Jachie

HSC
No, not in the film industry. When hiring they look for people with passion, interest and decent communication and people skills. They hire young and train as they go. Certificates, diplomas, degrees etc don't mean shit because theory has like little to no relevance. The only way you can "learn" and gain experience is from doing it yourself, not from sitting in a classroom taking notes from lectures on how to do it.

And yes, that's my point. That's why I was explaining how your "but your subjects don't reflect that interest" comment was a bit silly.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
No, not in the film industry. When hiring they look for people with passion, interest and decent communication and people skills. They hire young and train as they go. Certificates, diplomas, degrees etc don't mean shit because theory has like little to no relevance. The only way you can "learn" and gain experience is from doing it yourself, not from sitting in a classroom taking notes from lectures on how to do it.

And yes, that's my point. That's why I was explaining how your "but your subjects don't reflect that interest" comment was a bit silly.
ok, fine then. ^^

But what areas are you interested in and where do you think you might want to do/achieve?

(Sorry for all the interrogation, just curious)

LiiL

HSC
N/A
mle43 said:
Today:

Maths: watched a movie.
Chem: watched mythbusters.
Physics: watched einstein doco.
English: played scrabble.

ahh, last day of school is the best... :)
You finished today...
My school doesn't finish until the 19th

Sarsy

HSC
mle43 said:
Today:

Maths: watched a movie.
Chem: watched mythbusters.
Physics: watched einstein doco.
English: played scrabble.

ahh, last day of school is the best... :)
Wow, that is so much better than my last day. :eek:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
19th for me.....

I don't like school very much.

HSC
You know when your uh.. 'kooky' teacher has returned to school when you find this conversation taking place in legal studies:

[Rex swatting at flies]
BREENY: Don't kill that fly! I've turned to buddhism in my abscence. It could be my aunt! Actually... it could be my aunt Manamie. On second thoughts keep hitting, she might still be in the room.

Oh, and Black Hawker, I noticed in your signature that you listed dentistry as a possible career.
We were actually talking about this today at school.
If I could hack putting my hands into someone else's mouth I would.
Unfortunately I can't.
But I hope you become ridiculously rich.

Last edited:

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
Getting dressed up formally as vice captain - for the year 10 final assembly - and then had to speak quickly at it.

double of chem, for some of which we went and played black hawk down delta force, multiplayer with the other 3 peoples in my class.

then at lunch we went back after a little and played again, this time there was something like 15 people, came third.

now in mathematics, but not doing maths. having a bludge lesson in the dodgy computer room.

nexty up is english, apparently reading some of brand new world - but we'd told the teacher we should have a party. haha.

it's really annoying me that the shift key on this keyboard doesnt work.

cs01001

HSC
Fuck, I epic failed my Prelim report :(

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
cs01001 said:
Fuck, I epic failed my Prelim report
I don't believe youuuuuuuu

I fucking rocked my eco assessment, I am a hero.

cs01001

HSC
Great! What's your % and rank.

I am sadden by my shitty mark (76%) in my Chem assignemnt. I put so much effort into it, yet I got stripped so many marks here and there because of the comparative marking shit. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)