• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How was your school day? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceOnFire

HSC
OMG... >.<

My eco teacher made sooo many corrections to my draft eco report it's not even funny.

Gaaahh!! Now I got to restructure my whole report. :mad1:

What do you think the term "analyse" suggest?

Agywaggy

HSC
IceOnFire said:
OMG... >.<

My eco teacher made sooo many corrections to my draft eco report it's not even funny.

Some teacher seem to be doing that a lot now..... its annoying! i know

Analyse: Tear the topic into parts and come to a conclusion. Explain why something is happening.
Brought to you by my key words my geo teacher gave us, it seems right :)

spadijer

HSC
falcon07 said:
We received our reports on Friday. Mine was pretty good:

English Advanced 3/161 92% (my least favourite subject :))
Maths Ext 1 12/146 93%
Chemistry 1/84 85%
Physics 1/96 92%
German Continuers 1/12 92.5%
Latin Continuers 3/12 90%
Well, Deutschland would be proud - but now your purpose is to continue that into year 12. Mind you, I've had an epiphany that learning languages is rather fleeting because its useless beyond the ones life time, as opposed to philosophy and mathematics which contribute long-term to human thinking. I share this impulse with history. I would never become a historian, simply because in the future someone will most certainly write a better history due to the episteme of human nature. Anyways, well done.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
IceOnFire said:
OMG... >.<

My teacher takes one look at my English draft, crosses slabs off here and there and then tells me she hates it :eek:

kloudsurfer

HSC
Did anyone else go to the major work day in the city today?

I did. And the way I discovered that there are $10 CD shops!!!!!! Have they always been there? Why do i only know about them now!?!?!? Now I have no money. :( But I have Angie Stone! :)

And I just found a multicoloured Fruit Tingle!!!!!!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Meh, came late to school again. I've only been early like, twice this entire term.

Btw, $10 cd stores are awesome though Jb-hifi is quite okay too.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
m0ofin said:
Meh, came late to school again. I've only been early like, twice this entire term.

Btw, $10 cd stores are awesome though Jb-hifi is quite okay too.
No advertising on BOS forums. Lol, kidding.

falcon07

HSC
spadijer said:
Well, Deutschland would be proud - but now your purpose is to continue that into year 12. Mind you, I've had an epiphany that learning languages is rather fleeting because its useless beyond the ones life time, as opposed to philosophy and mathematics which contribute long-term to human thinking. I share this impulse with history. I would never become a historian, simply because in the future someone will most certainly write a better history due to the episteme of human nature. Anyways, well done.
But languages are about human thinking. Thinking in another language with its different structure can provide an alternate view on a problem and perhaps lead to a breakthrough in an area such as philosophy, so I don't think learning languages is fleeting at all. Also, other electives chosen in years 8/9/10 can leave you with nothing going into the senior years, but with languages (and maths) you constantly build on your knowledge. Thanks for the encouragement.

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
As for today, spent all of recess and lunch in the classrooms, don't ask why :p Was quite cool in the classrooms compared to outside though :D
I spent my recess and lunch in the senior common room, yay!

spadijer

HSC
falcon07 said:
But languages are about human thinking. Thinking in another language with its different structure can provide an alternate view on a problem and perhaps lead to a breakthrough in an area such as philosophy, so I don't think learning languages is fleeting at all. Also, other electives chosen in years 8/9/10 can leave you with nothing going into the senior years, but with languages (and maths) you constantly build on your knowledge. Thanks for the encouragement.
Erh...right. Anyways, my point was you might as well (in contrast to other forms of knowledge) be contributing to something long-lasting to human society such as science (nanotechnology, quantum mechanics), maths (set theory, matrixs ect) or philosophy (metaphysics, mind-body duality ect). Languages come one day, and go out the door the other. There's so much theory done on language that nowadays its rendered useless. For example, take the theories of Bertrand Russell to Derrida to Donald Davidson to Quine ect. Although this is not to say that language isn't as you put it a "different structure" or indeed long-lasting, but knowing 87584365 languages - for those who want to be remembered beyond there time - really... is useless... UNLESS, of course, you are talking about 'philology'. Here, from Heidegger to [insert anyone other philosopher here] is where true genius rests in and serves as a source of inspiration for other modes of thinking. Also, yes, languages are for the intelligent. That's why I speak three, and am planning to learn two more, provided I don't get bored with Asian languages and philosophy. Still, I believe science and philosophical enquiry are more of a worth-while field of study. For the moment I'll stick with the three I know.

haha, also, yeah "encouragement" is cool.

Last edited:

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I think we had a common room once upon a day, the teachers held private parties in there.

Meh, tommorow's gonna suck, bloody weather.

falcon07

HSC
spadijer said:
Erh...right. Anyways, my point was you might as well (in contrast to other forms of knowledge) be contributing to something long-lasting to human society such as science (nanotechnology, quantum mechanics), maths (set theory, matrixs ect) or philosophy (metaphysics, mind-body duality ect). Languages come one day, and go out the door the other. There's so much theory done on language that nowadays its rendered useless. For example, take the theories of Bertrand Russell to Derrida to Donald Davidson to Quine ect. Although this is not to say that language isn't as you put it a "different structure" or indeed long-lasting, but knowing 87584365 languages - for those who want to be remembered beyond there time - really... is useless... UNLESS, of course, you are talking about 'philology'. Here, from Heidegger to [insert anyone other philosopher here] is where true genius rests in and serves as a source of inspiration for other modes of thinking. Also, yes, languages are for the intelligent. That's why I speak three, and am planning to learn two more, provided I don't get bored with Asian languages and philosophy. Still, I believe science and philosophical enquiry are more of a worth-while field of study. For the moment I'll stick with the three I know.

haha, also, yeah "encouragement" is cool.
Unfortunately they don't offer nanotechnology or the like at our school. :) Given the choice between a language and a social science I think learning a language is far more useful. I won't continue with them to tertiary education however as I am planning on studying engineering or science.

spadijer

HSC
falcon07 said:
Unfortunately they don't offer nanotechnology or the like at our school. :) Given the choice between a language and a social science I think learning a language is far more useful. I won't continue with them to tertiary education however as I am planning on studying engineering or science.

haha, how unfortunate indeed. And yes, language beats a school social science any day. Pitty, you won't continue it, however. So, where you planning to study science or engineering (ideally)? UNSW? or ANU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)