Votes: 48 20.7%
  • Hard - not like '93 though

Votes: 115 49.6%
  • hardest 4unit exam ever

Votes: 50 21.6%

• Total voters

Captain pi

HSC
Here's another possibility: Maybe the Judges judge what the highest mark will align to. That is, they look at Keypad's 104 / 120 and say "that's a 99"; but this doesn't have any effect on the E4 cut-off. It could be, say, 60 / 120 and the mapping occurs between [90,99] and [60,104].

That sounds plausible. What do you think?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
in your last 2 posts you used:

"thomas"
"Mr Clement"
and "Keypad"

haha

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
Here's another possibility: Maybe the Judges judge what the highest mark will align to. That is, they look at Keypad's 104 / 120 and say "that's a 99"; but this doesn't have any effect on the E4 cut-off. It could be, say, 60 / 120 and the mapping occurs between [90,99] and [60,104].

That sounds plausible. What do you think?
According to that BOS page, the upper end-point is always 100% and in this case (120, 100).
I doubt very much that Keypad's mark was recorded incorrectly. I'm quite certain that BOS would check, double check and triple check the mark attained by the person who topped the state.

What sort of raw mark do you think you got in the 2004 MX2 paper?

Captain pi

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
According to that BOS page, the upper end-point is always 100% and in this case (120, 100).
Dang. :p

I doubt very much that Keypad's mark was recorded incorrectly. I'm quite certain that BOS would check, double check and triple check the mark attained by the person who topped the state.
I would imagine the Board would check that he indeed topped the state ; but it could be that they reported it on his HSC incorrectly as "99". He may still have topped the state; but he may have "only" got 97.

What sort of raw mark do you think you got in the 2004 MX2 paper?
I was gunning for mid- to high-100s / 120 after the exam – but I doubt I actually got that considering my examination mark.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Captain pi said:
I would imagine the Board would check that he indeed topped the state ; but it could be that they reported it on his HSC incorrectly as "99". He may still have topped the state; but he may have "only" got 97.

dont think so mate..
my friend got 98 and he wasnt even in the top 10 (exam/ass mark both 98).
It wasn't just Keypad that got 99.

this like drawing method is crap.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
I'm sure that it's all computerised. Input the raw mark and it'll spit out an aligned mark which is then rounded to the nearest whole number. And I'm sure they would double check the raw mark entered into the computer.

Captain pi

HSC
Foi

I guess we'll just have to concede that the standards for Extension 2 maths are quite low. :(

Keypad: do you think you could make an FOI for your marks? Just print off the attached form with a cheque for $30. (Make sure you replace the red font items.) EDIT: It seems there are two clause 8s. I don't know how that happened. Please make sure you correct it. EDIT2: That problem seems to have fixed itself; however, my grammar was a little detrimental to my argument, so I have altered it.

If anyone else sees any problems with the application, don't keep it to yourself!

Here are some useful sites.

Schedule 1 of the FOI Act

The FOI Act 1989 (NSW)

Last edited:

JoeysBoy

HSC
I don't do ext 2, but this one guy at my school is looking for a raw mark of 88%... lol? Is that even possible in this exam?

Captain pi

HSC
JoeysBoy said:
I don't do ext 2, but this one guy at my school is looking for a raw mark of 88%... lol? Is that even possible in this exam?
Do you know Vaughan? :D

And, yes, it's certainly possible in some exams. It would be a very good mark in this exam, thinks pi.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
As captain_pi said, 88% is certainly possible and is a very good mark in any MX2 exam - I imagine that it would align to 97 or 98 which would probably place him in the top 30-50ish students.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
just to add to this dilemma.

my friend who also finished in 2003 said he thinks he got 116 ... which is ALOT more than what keypad thinks he got.

my friend got 98 for his HSC mark for 4u
that and second in state in phyiscs gave him a uai of 100

rambo

HSC
Easiet 4unit Exam Ever!

OMG!! i am so pissed off..that exam was WAAAYYY too easy!! i really cant see where i could have lost any marks =S!!! why on earth did i study so hard. you'd think they would give a hard 4 unit exam!! i thought after gettin full marks in my trials, the hsc would have been a bit challenging, that was ridiculous. ive already lodged a complaint to the board of studies that these exams ill not yield a normal distribution graph when plotting the spread of scores!

ALL the exams this year have been far too easy, i really think that we should lobby against them. they make us work hard all year, and give us such simple exams.

i finished 4 unit in 2 hours! WHAT A JOKE!

if you want to discuss the paper with me please email me:
tru_buff180@hotmail.com

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
rambo said:
Academic Programme:
english advanced, english extension, maths, maths extension1, economics, legal studies
:p n00b...

(10char)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
rambo said:
OMG!! i am so pissed off..that exam was WAAAYYY too easy!! i really cant see where i could have lost any marks =S!!! why on earth did i study so hard. you'd think they would give a hard 4 unit exam!! i thought after gettin full marks in my trials, the hsc would have been a bit challenging, that was ridiculous. ive already lodged a complaint to the board of studies that these exams ill not yield a normal distribution graph when plotting the spread of scores!

ALL the exams this year have been far too easy, i really think that we should lobby against them. they make us work hard all year, and give us such simple exams.

i finished 4 unit in 2 hours! WHAT A JOKE!

if you want to discuss the paper with me please email me:
tru_buff180@hotmail.com
isn't it good if it's easy... i pray for an easy exam, you should never regret studying. The only reason it probably seemed easy to you was because you studied so hard, and that's a good thing... some people are never satisfied... would you have rathered the test being hard and u messing up?

bah!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
haboozin said:
just to add to this dilemma.

my friend who also finished in 2003 said he thinks he got 116 ... which is ALOT more than what keypad thinks he got.

my friend got 98 for his HSC mark for 4u
that and second in state in phyiscs gave him a uai of 100
Hmm...do you know what his exam mark was?
Not to dispute what your friend said, but can he be certain that he answered all 116 marks correctly? Is it possible that he may have had a stab at a few questions but not necessarily gained the marks for them?

In your opinion, what do you think would have been a more plausible cut-off for 2003 and 2004? I'd imagine that last year's cut-off would have been around 72-73/120, so maybe the 2003 cut-off was around 60-65/120?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)