How useful is it in uni? (1 Viewer)

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Hiya all. I'm interested in studying engineering when I finish high school but my school doesn't even offer engineering studies as a HSC course [to the best of my knowledge]!

Does anyone know if engineering studies is simply helpful and supportive or vital in studying engineering? One would think it'd be very important but I don't remembering seeing it under 'assumed knowledge' in the UNSW Engineering handbook.

Would you recommend doing it for my HSC [which means I have to go petition for the course to be introduced into my school or something] or doing an abridging course when I get to uni?

Thanks!

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
depends on what course u doing, engineering studies might help as it might give some background knowledge and create some foundation or grounding such as knowing properties of materials or the mathematic side (mechanics) of engineering. If you going for degree like Bacholar of Engineering, engineering studies in year 12 as the first year deeps a little into stuff learnt in year 12, however u could easily catch by doing some light reading. if u have like 12+ people willing to choose the subject than school will probably allow it unless teachers at ur school aren't qualified to teach it!

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Hmm but Engineering Studies doesn't scale that well either does it? So I'm not sure if I'd do it for sure anyway. And I can only think of one teacher in my school who might be qualified to teach it, and its still a 'might'.

Well I was considering biomedical, civil, mechanical or maybe mechatronics.. so I guess it won't be that important huh?

Thanks for your advice :)

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
there are alot of people who does an engineering course in uni but didn't do engineering studies as a subject in year 12 there isnt much to worry about it.

thehootman

HSC
AHHHHH. THE AMOUNT OF TIMES I HEAR PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT SCALING!!!
Scaling is towards your UAI. If it scales highly AND you do well at it, then it will add more to your UAI than a lower scaling subject. BTW engo scales better than most.

I assume people would be asking the same question of 4u maths.

It goes through a lot of materials and engineering practises, so i imaging it would help quite a bit at uni.

Scaling also doesnt determine if you get a band 6 or not. You should be looking at subjects that you enjoy or are interested in. If you do not choose subjects like these, you will find studying very hard etc and DO CRAPPLY.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Musk said:
thats because its based on the major that you plan to be doing, enginering studies would be best for civil engineering n mechanical by the looks of it

y unsw? do you wanna get into research?
Ooh I see I see. Lol I just have a lot of UNSW booklets so I've been using them as a basis of my decision making.:)

thehootman said:
AHHHHH. THE AMOUNT OF TIMES I HEAR PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT SCALING!!!
Scaling is towards your UAI. If it scales highly AND you do well at it, then it will add more to your UAI than a lower scaling subject. BTW engo scales better than most.

I assume people would be asking the same question of 4u maths.

It goes through a lot of materials and engineering practises, so i imaging it would help quite a bit at uni.

Scaling also doesnt determine if you get a band 6 or not. You should be looking at subjects that you enjoy or are interested in. If you do not choose subjects like these, you will find studying very hard etc and DO CRAPPLY.
Lol um.. thanks for your passionate advice but I do understand that scaling isn't everything. But there are subjects that scale well AND I'm interested in.. so it's all good :)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
I say go for it ! We need more girls in the engineering industry.

Plus if your school doesn't offer it, apply for the subject through Open High. This ultimately means that you will have to do the subject by correspondence, meaning you work on your own in a sense. They send you packages and stuff and you have to learn the content yourself. You may be able to get a teacher in your school to help you too if they're willing.

Although this option is a bit difficult because you don't exactly have somebody there to guide you all the way, it's a good way to develop independent learning.

And I also think that by doing the subject, you get a broad idea of what engineering is all about and I'd recommend it as I've heard MANY stories of people not realising what they had got themselves into when choosing engineering courses in uni.

Plus if you don't enjoy it, you can drop it in year 12. Or even in the early few weeks of year 11. :)

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Plus if your school doesn't offer it, apply for the subject through Open High. This ultimately means that you will have to do the subject by correspondence, meaning you work on your own in a sense. They send you packages and stuff and you have to learn the content yourself. You may be able to get a teacher in your school to help you too if they're willing.

Although this option is a bit difficult because you don't exactly have somebody there to guide you all the way, it's a good way to develop independent learning.
The stuff they give from Open high is really good!!! each module of the engineering course are like very thick!! good examples my school uses them as a supplementary textbook

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
would you happen to have these ? lol I need some notes for engineering and it's quite hard to get good notes for this subject. ^^"

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
would you happen to have these ? lol I need some notes for engineering and it's quite hard to get good notes for this subject. ^^"
lol sorry i returned all of my text books but i think i still have my notes...some where lol! i can also search the full working answers for past hsc if u like? i dont think ive chuck everything out yet

doesnt ur skool provide u good text books like Engineering Mechanics" and "Engineering Materials" by Schlanker and Mcern

Last edited:

sambob_joe

sambob_joe
HSC
pretty much Engineering Studies is just a supplement, meaning if you do any nearly kind of Engineering course at uni, much of the material done in the ES course will be taught there, and not considered a prerequisite.

in most of the course requirements i've seen physics and maths (preferably extension) are required, so not doing ES (or doing it very badly in my particular case) should not hurt your career prospects in the actual field of engineering.

Mezillious

HSC
N/A
I don't know if this is still relevant but I am going to begin teaching Engineering Studies in term 4 of this year and I started civil engineering before changing to teaching. Engineering Studies would give you an excellent setp up into civil enineering/surveying. I did not do engineering studies at high school so I it was all new to me, but if you had done engineering studies there probably wouldn't be much in your first year, maybe even half of your second that you hadn't seen before to some extent.

Hope this helps.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Thank you everyone for your replies :)

sle3pe3bumz said:
And I also think that by doing the subject, you get a broad idea of what engineering is all about and I'd recommend it as I've heard MANY stories of people not realising what they had got themselves into when choosing engineering courses in uni.

Plus if you don't enjoy it, you can drop it in year 12. Or even in the early few weeks of year 11. :)
Hehe, yeah, getting an idea of the course would be a good idea. However, I already feel like the more I find out about the courses, the more I lose interest in engineering as a possible career :(

Mezillious said:
I don't know if this is still relevant but I am going to begin teaching Engineering Studies in term 4 of this year and I started civil engineering before changing to teaching. Engineering Studies would give you an excellent setp up into civil enineering/surveying. I did not do engineering studies at high school so I it was all new to me, but if you had done engineering studies there probably wouldn't be much in your first year, maybe even half of your second that you hadn't seen before to some extent.

Hope this helps.
Ooh, that's pretty cool. I guess it sorta applies for other courses too to some extent huh?

Thank you all~
Well I've already started Year 11 now and I'm quite happy with choosing economics instead of engineering studies. I enjoy the course and find it easy to learn so hopefully it'll go well :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)