how uni results work (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
yeah, not for accounting though because apparently its useless unless u want to become an academic
I'll prolly try for an honours year in international business (its just been introduced in 2004)
wat do u mean by n academic??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by clever angel
wat do u mean by n academic??
a person who works at the university..ie a researcher, lecturer, professor

TheKey

HSC
um when i went to the open day recently at UNSW the 1 lecturer told me that it only "credit, distinction.." really matters, if u got these marks in ADV maths class or normal maths class is of no significance....

i dont know now, but he made me feel like there is no scaling in uni. But now hearing you guys is it worth taking higher maths and higher computing in the first year or not?

maniacguy

um when i went to the open day recently at UNSW the 1 lecturer told me that it only "credit, distinction.." really matters, if u got these marks in ADV maths class or normal maths class is of no significance....

i dont know now, but he made me feel like there is no scaling in uni. But now hearing you guys is it worth taking higher maths and higher computing in the first year or not?
Well, that's the thing - If you do a Higher (advanced) version of a subject, you're far more likely to get an HD than in the normal version. In fact, unless you're exceptionally good, you're not going to get an HD in the normal version (and if you're good enough to get an HD in normal, you should be doing Higher anyway)

It is definitely worth taking higher maths and higher computing in first year. I can't promote it enough. You will be doing the same material, but in a bit more depth. Unfortunately there isn't a good HSC analogy to describe that (that I can think of, anyway!)

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I wanted to do advanced maths, but i wasnt allowed to because it clashed with one of my engineering subjects, so i had to do normal maths(i ended up with HDs both semesters). It is a shame that i couldnt do the advanced maths course, because i think it would prepare me better for the 2nd year math subject that i am doing this year

In conclusion, do the higher level courses

Last edited:

qkrtjdxo

HSC
Originally posted by maniacguy
Well, that's the thing - If you do a Higher (advanced) version of a subject, you're far more likely to get an HD than in the normal version. In fact, unless you're exceptionally good, you're not going to get an HD in the normal version (and if you're good enough to get an HD in normal, you should be doing Higher anyway)
Sounds much like Standard and Advanced English for HSC.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

It is definitely worth taking higher maths and higher computing in first year. I can't promote it enough. You will be doing the same material, but in a bit more depth. Unfortunately there isn't a good HSC analogy to describe that (that I can think of, anyway!)
If only that were true for Advanced units at Macq. At Macq, its much harder to get Ds and HDs in Advanced units than the normal ones.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by qkrtjdxo
Sounds much like Standard and Advanced English for HSC.
You're right - it IS similar. The dichotomy is far more apparent in the HSC though.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC

ok, but what about there are 2 maths courses, the harder and the easier

you KNOW for the harder one you will be at the bottom, as all the actuarials do it, and you are not good enough for actuarial. but with your marks you are capable of doing this course

and you know you will be in the top half for the easier course, as you have people who didn't do maths, and who did lower levels and got lower marks than you.

although you are capable of doing the higher, doesn't it make sense to do the lower?

whereas in the hsc, you do the higher course, as you are capable of doing it, and it will be scaled better

edit: maybe that's wrong. if i knew i was going to be at the bottom of some of my higher courses i don't think i would have done them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)