How to write responses with memorised essays when given extracts (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
How do we do this :D

What do we do if we have a memorised essay, but the given extract is for a completely random idea or theme that just isn't related to our essay? DO we write a completely seperate paragraph before we even write our prememorised body paras, or do we just slot in a sentence or two of crappy analysis midway into our memo??

What's the best way of doing this - thankss

Last edited:

washi-tape

HSC

What do we do if we have a memorised essay, but the given extract is for a completely random idea or theme that just isn't related to our essay? DO we write a completely seperate paragraph before we even write our prememorised body paras, or do we just slot in a sentence or two of crappy analysis midway into our memo??

According to teachers, all we have to do is mention the extract once or twice and it should be enough, so the latter. Just try to force it in somewhere

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
According to teachers, all we have to do is mention the extract once or twice and it should be enough, so the latter. Just try to force it in somewhere
that seems stupid...? are you sure that's all we have to do??

washi-tape

HSC
that seems stupid...? are you sure that's all we have to do??
I mean I don't have any personal experience but that's what I did in my trials and I got marked for it. I also attended a non-school HSC english seminar and they said the same thing but since I haven't actually completed the HSC, don't fully trust me but other students said that's what they're also going to do in those cases.

Maybe if they say, 'with CLOSE reference', add more analysis, but if they just ask for reference, you don't have to mention it too heavily

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

u would find a way to relate it for ur argument, i dont think they will give something that is completely unrelated to what u have for ur essays

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
it needs to be addressed in ur intro + u need to use quotes from it + you need to feature the idea throughout ur essay as u need a holistic response that actually answers the question

washi-tape

HSC
I found the general feedback my cohort got (we did comparison between King Richard III(play) and Looking for Richard (docudrama):

"If using a woven approach, you should situate the extracts within their broader scene, roughly placing them in their narrative arc, and then linking to other quotes or examples from around the scenes. If you are using a block approach, then perhaps you might situate the extracts first and then look at other surrounding examples to build textual depth. Either way, the conventional structures still apply. Just bear in mind that you're not analysing the extracts in your introduction, which some candidates did, or that up to 50% of your substantive is only devoted to extracts, which should not be the case either. You must link the ideas and quotes from the extracts to your knowledge of both texts as a whole and build comparisons from there. If you can situate and contextualise the extracts within their broader scenes and link these to other examples from both texts that relate, extracts within their broader scenes and link these to other examples from both texts that relate, then you've succeeded in responding to an extract-based question."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)