how to write a drama essay?? (1 Viewer)

skankit

im really worried my essays are too englishy... coz i worked really hard on my english essays coz my teacher kept telling me my vocab wasnt sophisticated enough, and now when i try to write drama essays i end up using lots of big words and making it really like english essay like

but are they sposed to be really casual? im just worried theyll be like "this is drama, not english, fuck off"

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
im having the same probelm as you. My essays are englishpaperish. The difference Ive found is that you can be more personal with your drama essays and yeah you dont have to use as many big words.

You can say stuff like "In class we performed a scene from this play... we did it like this.... this is why..." but you cant do that in an english essay.

Candypants

Yes; be muchly personal.

But I still haven't grasped it. Studies in drama questions are f**ked. They're so diverse.

skankit

hehe yeah fully!

i mean i kinda know the theory behind writing a drama essay and all that stuff, im just worried it sounds too formal? like i do include personal experiences and stuff, but are they gonna yell at me coz im using formal language?
and i kinda also analyse the plays like english texts, like i do dramatic techniques and stuff but i do the whole technique example effect thing like you do in english

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I still analyse techniques in the play cos I say how they address the issues in the play and why we changed it in class because we thought wwe could interperate that theme in a different way. Complete BS but Im not sure if we are supposed to explin the techniques or not thats why I just link it in. I dotn think they'll 'yell' at you for using formal language. I just think that you dont need to use it, like you wont get extra marks if you do use it... Thats my opinion anyway I could be wrong but Ive always doen this and it never seemed to be wrong.

Goodluck :)

skankit

hehe thanks

who cares? 4% of my hsc. what a joke. stupid drama!

im sure i can bullshit my way through... its not that hard... :eek:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
if u talk about dramatic forms/techniques found in each play and talk about how u workshopped, i dont think they'll yell at u at all, seeing as though that's exactly what we're supposed to do :) informal or formal language is COMPLETELY up to u. I don'tthink they'll be impressed if u say, "Peggy from Mother and Son is a bit how ya going". lol but you don't have to string sentences that have words which are 10 letters in length :p

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, I had this problem and overcame it by realising that an essay is an essay! But a drama essay is more like a History one in the way that you need to give more detail than in an english one. Really, its the same, just a "drama response" differs from an "english essay" based on the fact that personal experience is a valid point to make! Just remember that your response should still be somewhat formal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)