How to write a DRAMA essay (1 Viewer)

aimstar555

HSC
HELLO DRAMA STUDENTS!!!

as drama is my 2nd last exam i've got sum spare time to work out HOW THE HELL 2 WRITE A DRAMA EXAM!!! if ne one has ne adivce or sum tips that would be greatly appreciated. also,if ne one has notes on "the 7 stages of grieveing" and "gary's house" that would b great 2 cause everyone i talk to does "summer of the 17th" and "Touch of silk" WHICH IS REALLY ANNOYING!
anywaz, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!!!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, a drama essay is essentially an english one BUT with looking at the text in performance rather than as a text. I.e. don't look at the writing, but the way it looks on stage.

You still need to analyse like you do english, and stick in some workshop experiences

cayte

It's been a while since I did HSC Drama, but I got 98, so I'm not entirely without authority. You're familir with the format, you ususally get a quote or a central idea or proposition to discuss in terms of staging, or "theatrical conventions" or something equally descriptive. there's no right way to write a drama essay, but one option is two take a simple, solid, structured approach and answer the question (ie the central idea) in relation to the various theatrical elements the playwrights manipulate to convey the message. Ie, answer the question in relation to characters, production elements (use of lighting, set, props, etc), use of language (and silence if it's appropriate), all the other stuff drummed into you, in a sequential manner. Capisca?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Answering the question eh? now THAT'S something they dont teach you in school!

cayte

Ha ha, very clever neo, but you may note it's a pretty complex sentence so I'll simplify essence of it for you: answer the question by regarding the issue in relation to each theatrical convention you choose to discuss indidvidually and in a sequential manner. That is, one at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)