How to write a conlcusion for English on the spot? (1 Viewer)

MadGold777

HSC
How to write a conlcusion for English essays in the exam??

pinkiipromise

HSC
N/A
- refer back to the question
- State your point/argument "As discussed...."
- do not introduce new ideas
- end with a nice closing sentence

Galladrim

HSC
Answer the question using the thesis you've developed in your essay.

Avoid using broad generic statements.

Be assertive, having a strong conclusion can really make a difference in your final essay mark.

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
I always try to write a very strong conclusion, as one would assume this is the last thing that the markers read. Normally I link back to the question, and how I've shown it through my thesis and arguments. I always like to attach something cool as a last sentence, just to go out with a bang. (has to be relevant to the question of course :p )

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
use an amazing pre-prepared conclusion moulded to fit the qn

however if you only have 1 min (or less) to write your conclusion (has happened to me before lol) just mention all the authors names (don't bother rewriting text names) and restate your thesis (from intro or your pre-prepared conclusion ending) -> make sure you are still using key words from the qn. markers understand that this is under exam conditions.

Damien1324

HSC
Conclusions have always been my strong point (not sure whether this is a good thing or not haha), basically what pinkii said. You don't need a prepared conclusion because the ones made on the spot are stronger because you'll probably have included more information than a pre-prepared essay's conclusion. First line you refer back to the question, then go through all of each paragraph briefly and discuss (or tie) all of it together to explain how it relates to the question, if that makes sense. Most of it can be tied together with a really strong concluding statement. This is particularly strong (like Galladrin said) in giving you a good final mark.

Finally, make sure you just conclude an essay if you're writing out of time. A concluded essay that's half finished is much better than one that just cuts out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)