how to take notes?! (1 Viewer)

aj12

HSC
N/A
Hi, I am going into 1st yr 2nd sem and I've realised this semester that my notetaking style isn't very good.

My main problems are that my notes are too detailed and difficult to read. I can't figure out what the main points are and how to differentiate between examinable details and superfluous details, especially when the lecture notes are very condense and the lecturer goes into much heavier detail (e.g. biology) and also when there are a lot of examples (e.g. chem).

This makes it difficult for me when I am trying to study for exams, as I pretty much need to either read the entire lecture notes again or make new notes during exam week.

How do you guys take notes?!

Haha help this confused first year out? :)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
For maths I've never made notes in my life, it seems stupid to me.

For everything else, just steal notes off here. Ez.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
depends what you study.

when i was in computing lectures i wrote down key mistakes noobs make. for maths i just listened and phys didn't go because I don't like wolfe/liz

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically, one way of learning is sitting in a lecture and taking note of anything you DID NOT KNOW before the lecture and include these in your notes. If it is anything you already knew, do not include in your notes. In my case, I write notes so I can release on here so I try to include more information.

Symphonicity

HSC
Uni Grad
My tip is to write on your lecture slides directly - this gives your notes some context so when you look back you know what you were thinking about when you wrote those notes. I annotate them on the ipad - you could print them out maybe 4 to a page or something if you prefer.

Then during your study you can make new notes based on your semester notes to refresh your memory on the subject, and maybe include pictures too.

cho6092

HSC
This might sound like a stupid question, but are your lecture slides available to you prior to each lecture? If so, it would be so easy to write additional notes on the slide printout. Symphonicity implies this is the case, but just clarifying this again.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
This might sound like a stupid question, but are your lecture slides available to you prior to each lecture? If so, it would be so easy to write additional notes on the slide printout. Symphonicity implies this is the case, but just clarifying this again.
Yes. Well, maybe. Some lecturers (this happened maybe five times) I had upload them just an hour before or after class (I'm guessing so you won't be able to print the slides so you have no choice but to keep up). But majority of lecturers will upload the slides a day or a few days before the class and then usually if there is a recording of the lecture it will be uploaded an hour after class. And if you're lucky (some majors/disciplines) have lecturers eg. Anatomy who will write up a whole coursebook for some units so the notes you need have already been written for you. All the best ~

thedemonpk3r

HSC
does anyone know where the lecture slides form each lecture are available to you?? like what website?? stupid question i know, but im only new to uni life haha

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Your lecturers will usually let you know where/when they make them available. For me, so far, it's always been on the individual subject's BlackBoard system (which can be hellish to navigate, depending on which subject you're doing and how they've set it up).

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Your lecturers will usually let you know where/when they make them available. For me, so far, it's always been on the individual subject's BlackBoard system (which can be hellish to navigate, depending on which subject you're doing and how they've set it up).
I hate those units... I just want to get to the lecture slides without having to click on five different links.

(I'm just exaggerating but dang they can be confusing to navigate and sometimes it's attached with the notifications which I never read)

@thedemonpk3r - like Daemontreu said - Blackboard (LMS) is the site you'll find your unit outlines, assessments and lecture notes and tutorial work etc. If you're a business student then you will go on the Business School LMS website.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
I hate those units... I just want to get to the lecture slides without having to click on five different links.

(I'm just exaggerating but dang they can be confusing to navigate and sometimes it's attached with the notifications which I never read)

@thedemonpk3r - like Daemontreu said - Blackboard (LMS) is the site you'll find your unit outlines, assessments and lecture notes and tutorial work etc. If you're a business student then you will go on the Business School LMS website.
Thanks a lot bro I will indeed be ready when uni starts

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Haha. Perhaps. I've never heard of anyone being fully prepared for what uni will throw at them. [emoji14]

But all the best ~
Oh hahaha I didn't mean it that way, I'm still shitting bricks as we speak, but I'm ready in that aspect of lecture notes and what not hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)