how to study for HSC science subjects? (1 Viewer)

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
So I am on a 1 month break and was wondering how to study for bio chem and physics?

I believe i know the content pretty well so do I just keep doing past papers and look at content if necessary and few days before exam I can thoroughly go over all the content?

kashkow

HSC
Here is for Physics - you may be able to adapt for the other sciences:

- Make a list of all physics sub-topics that you can think of that you are not confident in; I recommend going against listing the syllabus dot points as you may not understand/be familiar with what the syllabus dot points are or mean, or they may cover too broad of areas. This list could look like: (1. GPE, 2. projectile motion, 3. band structures for semiconductors) whatever you may need. This is to gain an understanding for yourself for weak areas that you need to study. I recommend order it by way of topics (Space, Motors & Generators, Ideas to Implementation, Option module) as it's not so easy to miss topics then and you can just work your way forward through the textbook to identify weak areas. Afterwards if you want to prioritise things to review in order of importance, you can. Whatever works best for you.

- Revise thoroughly the memorisation content; ie. the content that you will need to understand and remember but not necessarily calculations. Examples include: band structures, silocon vs. germanium, valve tubes vs. transistors, orbital information (like L.E.O and geostationary orbits) and societal and environmental effects of generators.

- Revise calculations, their formulas and how to apply them. Examples include: calculating GPE, projectile motion and moving electrons in electric fields.

- Practice with past papers :) (try to mark yourself and understand where you may go wrong) If new topics arise add them to the list; if old ones are still annoying you go through them again with your textbook/teacher.

- I will admit I currently have not done this last step purposefully but I would recommend learning and memorising ALL the HSC physics formulas and have a solid understanding in their use. I know there is a sheet in exam, but by memorising them and how they are applied it will help save time in the exam. For me I have an understanding of their use but often need to refer to the sheet (either since I've forgotten the proper formula or want to double check to be sure). However if I have them memorised it would save exam time this way; It will also deepen your understanding of the formulas and make calculations easier (provided you are also aiming to understand how to use them not just memorising like a robot for the sake of it)

There's some tips for physics. Hope it helps. :)

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
Here is for Physics - you may be able to adapt for the other sciences:

- Make a list of all physics sub-topics that you can think of that you are not confident in; I recommend going against listing the syllabus dot points as you may not understand/be familiar with what the syllabus dot points are or mean, or they may cover too broad of areas. This list could look like: (1. GPE, 2. projectile motion, 3. band structures for semiconductors) whatever you may need. This is to gain an understanding for yourself for weak areas that you need to study. I recommend order it by way of topics (Space, Motors & Generators, Ideas to Implementation, Option module) as it's not so easy to miss topics then and you can just work your way forward through the textbook to identify weak areas. Afterwards if you want to prioritise things to review in order of importance, you can. Whatever works best for you.

- Revise thoroughly the memorisation content; ie. the content that you will need to understand and remember but not necessarily calculations. Examples include: band structures, silocon vs. germanium, valve tubes vs. transistors, orbital information (like L.E.O and geostationary orbits) and societal and environmental effects of generators.

- Revise calculations, their formulas and how to apply them. Examples include: calculating GPE, projectile motion and moving electrons in electric fields.

- Practice with past papers :) (try to mark yourself and understand where you may go wrong) If new topics arise add them to the list; if old ones are still annoying you go through them again with your textbook/teacher.

- I will admit I currently have not done this last step purposefully but I would recommend learning and memorising ALL the HSC physics formulas and have a solid understanding in their use. I know there is a sheet in exam, but by memorising them and how they are applied it will help save time in the exam. For me I have an understanding of their use but often need to refer to the sheet (either since I've forgotten the proper formula or want to double check to be sure). However if I have them memorised it would save exam time this way; It will also deepen your understanding of the formulas and make calculations easier (provided you are also aiming to understand how to use them not just memorising like a robot for the sake of it)

There's some tips for physics. Hope it helps. :)
Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)