How to study for English HSC/Trial exam? (1 Viewer)

Justina

HSC
Trials are creeping closer and closer, and like everyone else, i've been trying to get my study notes in order...but when it comes to english i'm not really sure how to study. Do i just keep writing practice essays on different topics? If i do, will i cover the whole content? Do i just stick to notes - say for example Emma/Clueless: notes on Themes, Characters, techniques, context?

Kinda confused, any help/comments are appreciated!:eek:

jazzbaby

HSC
jensen is quite hot :D

sorry lol off topic completely

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Justina said:
... Do i just keep writing practice essays on different topics? If i do, will i cover the whole content? ...
I found practicing on writing different text types was more helpful.
But then again you must know your texts back to front.

Justina

HSC
Forbidden. said:
I found practicing on writing different text types was more helpful.
But then again you must know your texts back to front.
mhm...so your suggesting i do both, right?
argh, so little time....thanks though :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Justina said:
mhm...so your suggesting i do both, right?
argh, so little time....thanks though :)
but hey, you shouldve covered the content before the trials! :uhhuh: :hammer:
and you never know whether you must produce a response in the form of an essay, feature article, interview or speech.

Justina

HSC
Forbidden. said:
but hey, you shouldve covered the content before the trials! :uhhuh: :hammer:
and you never know whether you must produce a response in the form of an essay, feature article, interview or speech.
Yeah i kind of know everything, but not in enough detail and i havent memorised important quotes and all that yet...trying to get started tongiht.
Just another quick question to you, how do you write a feature article?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Justina said:
Yeah i kind of know everything, but not in enough detail and i havent memorised important quotes and all that yet...trying to get started tongiht.
Just another quick question to you, how do you write a feature article?
hasnt your teacher covered that in class ? 0_o
it must contain a heading, subheading and then the content itself.
The structure goes as:

Heading

Subheading

Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

The heading can be catchy and the subheading is like a "title".

And within the paragraphs it may say something like:
"a bright healthy warm glow", suggests Komninos as part of a healthy lifestyle
(Taken from English Standard)
So you pretend the author has his/her say on the topic/module you are studying e.g. representations (coz youre doing English Advanced)

It can be slightly less formal than an essay but has a similar structure.

Justina

HSC
ok, makes sense, thanks
we did do this in class but a year or two ago, just needed to refresh my memory.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Look at the syllabus for each module, and condense the main 'ideas' down into <6 (if possible) "themes". these themes should be the core ideas of the syllabus and thus the core ideas of any possible exam question.
for these, write 5 different thesises, or 'lines of argument' each. that way, you have prepared thesises for what ever areas of the syllabus your exam questions come from.
for example, in crime fiction, i have the areas of
context
human nature
enduring popularity
etc etc. from those ill develope lines of arguement of thesises about each area. ie, the eduring popularity of crime fiction is reliant upon its ability to manipulate and subvert the genre
it quite often helps if you ask you teacher for assistence to begin with.

mind maps. take each module, and condense it into a mind map.
you can do it thematically (the best way in my opinion), by techniques for something like frontline, or text by text.

organise a study group with your friends. test yourself on quoting texts and then giving examples of techniques and their effects. this works the best with shakespeare ive found.

read texts alloud to yourself.

post-it-note key quotes to the toilet door or your bedroom walls.

colour code your notes. say, yellow for quotes, blue of technique and pink for effect. makes stuff easier to find, and i often remember things in terms of colour codes.

sbllking

HSC
Hey

When studying english: get a whole heap of past essay questions and you wil realise they are all prety much the same, except the wording. In things like Emma/clueless, they are looking at TRANSFORMATIONS. YOU MUST remember that this is the module, and so dont forget to have a sentence or two explaining that...because the whole topic is BASED on that. Ok, so, with that in mind, what are they doing to want you to discuss? the transformation of media, values and plot, and how the composer has changed this to make a statement of todays society...stuff like that...Thats a mouthfull, and a wank, but its what english teachers like...:eek: lol

Thats the same with all of them, you look at the core and the main points of the module, and what your teacher has rammed down your throat. You pretty much write an essay based on the past questions, with an intro and topic lines that are easy to mold to the question given in the exams

Random notes on how i study for other exams:

Ok, well what i find really helpful, is doing the past trial papers for the past like, 3-5 years or sumthng. You do a couple REALLY well, look up detailed answers and stuff, and when answering questions, you take both possible answers for the question.

ie, if it says, why SHOULD we do this, or why does this happen, then you should also write an alternative answer for a slightly modified version of this question, ie why this SHOULDNT happen, or why this doesnt happen. Because year after year the papers ask nearly the same question, slightly changed. However, dont quote me on this, sometimes they wont do this, but this is the general case.

You'll understand when you see some questions, and read the questions asked in past papers over the past years. Then you get a feel for the types of questions they'll ask, and what you need to work on. Im a strong believer in practice. Study notes dont work for me, i need questions where i apply the content.

This seems like alot of work, but really, its not too much. Its less time then writing dot point summaries, which i would endorse, but which take AGES to write...haha

Hope this helps!
-Isabelle

edit: um, ur school shuld have copies of the past trial papers in the library. if they dont, then you should ask your teachers where you can get them. Im sorry i dont know where to get them because our school provides them in the library and we can just photo copy them

um, for king lear, they may seem unrelated, but generally they want you to talk about the same ideas.
intense human relationship: how do these show Shakespears point? this module is about a critical study of texts, so this is based on how the relationships are used to show Shakespeares purpose. To me, his purpose is showing that human nature is, fundamentally, flawed. In this, i think that the relationship between Lear and Cordelia shows that as Lears arrogance leads him to dismiss Cordelias sentiments of actual love. However, she could just as easily flattered him as her sisters, but chose not to, because shes too 'pure'. I believe that this was ridiculous, and that she should have told him that she loved him, as she did nd wouldnt be lying, and she caused way to much trouble fir her 'purity'. But yea...thts wat i think. this is my critical thesis of the plot. Um, in the critical study, you have to look at context, and stuff, so you would put that into any essay. King Lear is worthy of critical study due to its amazing insight into human flaws...this is why it has endured. why it remains popular, as it deals with a fundamental aspect of human nature. Its enduring nature means that there are many aspects to be analysed. there are lots of points. but

critical study of a text: you must have a thesis, what YOU think it is about. You then must be able to back it up using evidence from the text. You must relate it to context. You must look at other interpretations and see how they relate to yours. BUT this, is, fundamentally, about YOUR interpretation. Dont just list others, like "feminists say blah, marxists say blah etc etc." But do relate it to others. "My thesis is similar to this idea"
As it is Shakespeare, and a critical study, you need to say why it is so enduring, why its still relevant (pretty much why they believe we should study it)

heres what you should look at: page 50-52...this is what they will base all of their questions around:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_syl.pdf This is the english syllabus outline for the modules

Last edited:

Justina

HSC
Thanks a bunch Isabelle,

Good advice, i've looked at past HSC questions, but some of them seem to be unrelated like the ones they've been giving for King Lear over the past 4 years:
- intense human relationship
-enduring power of Lear
-King Lear worthy of critical study
-context and interpretation
Those kind of seem to be all over the place, jumping around from different contexts to different themes.

And about looking at trial papers - would you happen to know where i could get some? Our school's doing the Catholic trails and i've heard they're pretty hard, but i don't know where to get some to look at..

But anyway, thanks for the advice, will take all you said into consideration :)

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Look at the syllabus for each module, and condense the main 'ideas' down into <6 (if possible) "themes". these themes should be the core ideas of the syllabus and thus the core ideas of any possible exam question.
for these, write 5 different thesises, or 'lines of argument' each. that way, you have prepared thesises for what ever areas of the syllabus your exam questions come from.
for example, in crime fiction, i have the areas of
context
human nature
enduring popularity
etc etc. from those ill develope lines of arguement of thesises about each area. ie, the eduring popularity of crime fiction is reliant upon its ability to manipulate and subvert the genre
it quite often helps if you ask you teacher for assistence to begin with.

mind maps. take each module, and condense it into a mind map.
you can do it thematically (the best way in my opinion), by techniques for something like frontline, or text by text.

organise a study group with your friends. test yourself on quoting texts and then giving examples of techniques and their effects. this works the best with shakespeare ive found.

read texts alloud to yourself.

post-it-note key quotes to the toilet door or your bedroom walls.

colour code your notes. say, yellow for quotes, blue of technique and pink for effect. makes stuff easier to find, and i often remember things in terms of colour codes.
For your extension 2 english HW you should look up the plural of the word 'thesis'. TYCA!

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
mythical chaos said:
For your extension 2 english HW you should look up the plural of the word 'thesis'. TYCA!
I hate that word though, because it sounds like fecaes, which I cannot spell, and it just creeps me out.

I know it, I just dont like to use it <.<

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I hate that word though, because it sounds like fecaes, which I cannot spell, and it just creeps me out.

I know it, I just dont like to use it <.<
LOL sneaky (but good) attempt at getting yourself out of that one

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
mythical chaos said:
LOL sneaky (but good) attempt at getting yourself out of that one
Its true though! My english teacher and I have this discussion all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)