HOW TO SOLVE THIS MATH PROBLEMS (1 Viewer)

Bronx_Tips

HSC
When the polynomial P(x) is divided by x 2 − 1 the remainder is 3x − 1. What is the remainder when P(x) is divided by x − 1?

AND

Let P(x) = (x − 1)(x + 3)Q(x) + ax + b, where Q(x) is a polynomial and a and b are real numbers. The polynomial P(x) has a factor of (x + 3). When P(x) is divided by (x − 1) the remainder is 8. (a) Find the values of a and b. (b) Find the remainder when P(x) is divided by (x − 1)(x + 3).

PLEASE DONT JUDGE ME IM ONLY IN YEAR 7 GOING TO YEAR 8 I NEED HELP WITH THIS 😭😭😭

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
When the polynomial P(x) is divided by x 2 − 1 the remainder is 3x − 1. What is the remainder when P(x) is divided by x − 1?

AND

Let P(x) = (x − 1)(x + 3)Q(x) + ax + b, where Q(x) is a polynomial and a and b are real numbers. The polynomial P(x) has a factor of (x + 3). When P(x) is divided by (x − 1) the remainder is 8. (a) Find the values of a and b. (b) Find the remainder when P(x) is divided by (x − 1)(x + 3).

PLEASE DONT JUDGE ME IM ONLY IN YEAR 7 GOING TO YEAR 8 I NEED HELP WITH THIS 😭😭😭
For the first one:
p(x)= q(x) x (x^2-1) + 3x -1
p(1) = 3(1)-1=2

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A

AND

For q2 a)
sub x =-3 and then x = 1, solve for a and b using simultaneous eqns
and for b) just sub in a and b into ax+b

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
For q2 a)
sub x =-3 and then x = 1, solve for a and b using simultaneous eqns
and for b) just sub in a and b into ax+b
yeh, ill just add the working

P(1) = 8
a + b = 8 ......... [1]

P(-3) = 0
-3a + b = 0 .......... [2]

[1] - [2] : 4a = 8
a = 2
b = 6

therefore the remainder is 2x + 6

liamkk112

HSC
WHY SUB INTO THE REMAINDER? I DONT GET THE LOGIC BEHIND IT
from P(x)/D(x) = Q(x) + R(x)/D(x). remainder can also be a function of x, so is the quotient, divisor and hecne the whole polynomial

liamkk112

HSC
from P(x)/D(x) = Q(x) + R(x)/D(x). remainder can also be a function of x, so is the quotient, divisor and hecne the whole polynomial
to really understand polynomials, id recommend just doing a bunch of division questions, it can help u to better figure out what exactly is happening, especially in these types of questions

liamkk112

HSC
not everyone is a prodigy

wtf 99 3u tho
ye but i was not that good at maths before really, i think the first a i ever got in math was at the end of year 10 lol, and i only got like 60% on prelims. so basically i spent the last 2 years studying nonstop but at least it paid off 😭

WeiWeiMan

HSC
ye but i was not that good at maths before really, i think the first a i ever got in math was at the end of year 10 lol, and i only got like 60% on prelims. so basically i spent the last 2 years studying nonstop but at least it paid off 😭
sheesh first A in yr 10 to 99 3u that's insane
how to study 4u

liamkk112

HSC
sheesh first A in yr 10 to 99 3u that's insane
how to study 4u
spam past papers really, as many questions as possible so then u can get all the easy / repeat questions out of the way, and then spend more time on the harder ones

and make sure u have a really good conceptual understanding of what’s happening, that way no matter what they give u u can still figure out the question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)