• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to paint nails (1 Viewer)

Pokute-san

≧∀≦
HSC
Painting is fun. Removing is fun. But how do you paint finger and toe nails?

Most 'nailpolish' things have brushes. (I haven't used one in 5ive years)

Let's say for the thumb nail. With the brush, do you start with one stroke in the middle from the bottom to the tip of the nail? Or a horizontally? Or just one stroke of the brush would fill the entire nail?

Do we apply just one homogeneous layer? Does it have to be a smooth surface?

Is it suitable to just use ordinary paint for nail painting?

Nail painting is just like hair dyeing. There must be a minimum of 3months before you dye you hair again. So would that be the same for nail painting?

Please help me with my 'formal' preparations. Black nail paint is an unpopular item in a formal party. That's why I want to use it. But I have no idea where to purchase these things (I haven't been out in 6months other than for school stuffs).

alby

cool duckie
HSC
all nail polishes come with the little brushes

the rule for doing nails is 1 stroke from the bottom to tip, down the centre, then 1 on either side...and dont use too much polish, caus then it'll just end up gluggy and grose. you need a comparitively smooth surface, so you need to use nail polish remover (even if you dont have any polish on..just to get rid of any dirt, etc), and one of those buffer things (similar to an emery board) are good to get rid of massive bumps (only to make it look professional). plus a base coat of clear polish is good so you get an even surface, and a clear top coat keeps it looking shiny and makes it last longer (caus its stronger). buffer:

you can't use normal paint...the stuff in it's totally different and isnt good for your nails (plus you need turps or something to get it off..which's probably the worst bit for your nails). nail polish isnt expensive (generally under $10, unless you get a heaps expensive one..which isnt really worth it imo.)

they say to try not to re-do the polish more than once or twice a week, just so you dont dry them out too much. but as long as you take good care of your nails you shouldnt be too bad (eg. using polish remover instead of just scratching the polish off, using a base coat, buffing if necessary, using clear polish when you're not wearing normal polish, using hand cream to keep your cuticles looking good, etc)

you can get polish from places like priceline, supermarkets, etc...basically anywhere that sells skin care/make up should sell nail polish. just try and get good brands, ie. ones you've heard of (all the popular make up brands do good nail polishes - revlon, mac, maybelline, etc do good quality/priced ones)

since you havent worn nail polish in ages, i say get a cheaper (around $5) one and try it out. if after a couple of goes you cant do it that well, get you mum/aunty/friend to do it for your formal

edit: more info: here

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
at priceline, they sell colored fake nails.
they even sell fake toenails.
fake toenails are all the rage in america...
apparently.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
ive seen fake toenails in priceline in wollongong.

thats even sadder.
even sadder is that people buy them and wear them and show them off.

Pokute-san

≧∀≦
HSC
Would it be illegal to mix nail paints to create an insanely insane colour? Would that be quite poisonous? I wonder what chemical reaction will occur.
Anyone tried it before?

Oh, fake nails. So do people stick on the fake nail and then paint over it?

fake toenails
Why would someone get fake toenails? And even show them off? It's ok if it's only for one night. Sorry...I don't like those types of long nails with bright and stand-out colours. Especially with FLOWERS! And pictures. Too...bright. But I wouldn't want to buy a machine specifically for nails. And plus, with those bright and long nails, I wouldn't be able to type on my keyboard! I wouldn't be able to type fast while chatting! How awful would that be.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Pokute-san said:
Would it be illegal to mix nail paints to create an insanely insane colour? Would that be quite poisonous? I wonder what chemical reaction will occur.
Anyone tried it before?

Oh, fake nails. So do people stick on the fake nail and then paint over it?

Why would someone get fake toenails? And even show them off? It's ok if it's only for one night. Sorry...I don't like those types of long nails with bright and stand-out colours. Especially with FLOWERS! And pictures. Too...bright. But I wouldn't want to buy a machine specifically for nails. And plus, with those bright and long nails, I wouldn't be able to type on my keyboard! I wouldn't be able to type fast while chatting! How awful would that be.
i got fake nails for my yr10 formal.
they were either french tip or acrylic. i have no idea.
but i got them on, then got them painted over, with i diamente in the cornor.

and i dont think it is illegal to mix nail polishes together to make one awesome color.
like mixing paints to make an awesome, or different color, its not illegal.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i don't think that there'd be anything wrong with mixing nail polish together..but at the same time, i don't know if, say, mixing blue and red together would necessarily make purple..

but that said, i really have no idea, i've never tried it..

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Pokute-san said:
Erm what's a manicure?
It's usually when you go to a beautician and they sculpt & file your nails and make them all pretty. Usually applying gloss (nail polish) too.

If you've got a bit of cash, look into a set of acrylics for the formal. They're usually around $50/set, and if you go to someone good, they're awesome. I had them ages before my formal, but I got to have silver tips, and they had diamantes and stuff in them. Talented people can airbrush cool designs and stuff too.

Pokute-san

≧∀≦
HSC
chelzmalee said:
It's usually when you go to a beautician and they sculpt & file your nails and make them all pretty. Usually applying gloss (nail polish) too.

If you've got a bit of cash, look into a set of acrylics for the formal. They're usually around $50/set, and if you go to someone good, they're awesome. I had them ages before my formal, but I got to have silver tips, and they had diamantes and stuff in them. Talented people can airbrush cool designs and stuff too.
Sculp...file? File the fake nails? Do they display the fake nails in a filer and reuse them or something? :confused:

Acrylics...50$/set...silver tips...diamantes and stuff in them...talented people...airbrush.

What are diamantes? Is it like instead of digital printing on fabric, the talented beauticians print on those filed fake nails? And using machines?

I have 7days/wk of school. No time to shop. Even in the holidays, I never go out, so I don't even know what Priceline is. I've never really cared about these things before. But somehow, this nail painting thing had entered my brain (I dreamt about having those Sorceress-like nails) and was wondering how people apply those nail polish things. Sounds like fun.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Pokute-san said:
Sculp...file? File the fake nails? Do they display the fake nails in a filer and reuse them or something? :confused:

Acrylics...50$/set...silver tips...diamantes and stuff in them...talented people...airbrush.

What are diamantes? Is it like instead of digital printing on fabric, the talented beauticians print on those filed fake nails? And using machines?
sculpt = shape
file = shaping your nails with an emery board...one of these

acrylics = fake nails...they're usually around $50 (for both hands)
silver tips = they paint the white bit on the fake nails silver
diamantes = imitation diamonds (plastic-y but they dont look that bad)
airbrushing = putting the fancy designs on the fake nails with this machine (i'm not entirely sure about how it actually works..)
Pokute-san said:
I have 7days/wk of school. No time to shop. Even in the holidays, I never go out
i didnt think they did school 7 days a week in aus..or is it home schooling?
how come you never go out?
Pokute-san said:
Anyone tried it before?
it wouldnt be illegal to do that....nothing'd happen other than getting a different colour. how would it be poisonous? not like you're digesting it
i tried it when i was younger. it didnt exactly work...i used tissues to help blend the colours (i did it on the nails). also would've helped if i'd known what the hell i was really doing. it'd be possible to do, but i'm not too sure how

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Pokute-san said:

I have 7days/wk of school. No time to shop. Even in the holidays, I never go out, so I don't even know what Priceline is. I've never really cared about these things before. But somehow, this nail painting thing had entered my brain (I dreamt about having those Sorceress-like nails) and was wondering how people apply those nail polish things. Sounds like fun.
thats cute. kinda reminds of myself before i knew about fake nails and doing stuff to them instead of just painting them with textas and nail polish.

but yeah, i really dislike fake nails. they are too long and too fake and stuff. i just like my own real nails. and it doesnt cost me money maintaining them, as i just cut them every month or so when they get too long for my liking, and i clean them every day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)