• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how to memorise pre planned essays? (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
i've written up a few preplanned essays for the english exam on wednesday.. but the problem is i dont seem to be memorising it too well, even if i read it over and over and over again.

so what do you guys do to remember your essays?

illin

Ill factor
HSC
easier way is to make phonetics (i think that's what they're called? no something like that anyway)
ie. u have an AOS essay
points r techniques, authors, what happens, purpose
(hypothetically ok!!!!)
u go TAWP
and remember that
then make other one on subheading etc....

ChiCkenDrUmStIc

Umm well if your anything like me you have to write it down to actually memorise it. I usually write it down at least once looking at it, then again without looking, then i try to do it in 40 minutes time limit, hurts my hand like crazy but its the only way i can do it.......

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I write it out then print it, read it out loud and record it and keep replaying it over and over... then I read over it without the recording and get the points in my head and write another one. then I play the audio and read what I wrote.. I dont ever memorise it word for word but u get most of it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
write out the basic idea of each of the paragraphs and memorise that. so you're memorising point form, then you have to just add the filler words

CrashOveride

HSC
read it over and over and over again. for each paragraph take an hour. i memorised my 1500word essay for AOS word for word and killed it =p however, it is very time consuming. i got no time to do it for any modules now for wed :( It took me about 14 hours in total.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
iambored said:
write out the basic idea of each of the paragraphs and memorise that. so you're memorising point form, then you have to just add the filler words
yeah thats what i tend to do...just know my points, then fill in the blanks when i get in there, caus they could ask anything (well for the modules anyway), & i find its easier than memorising the whole thing then having to re-arrange it all to fit the q. just remember a couple of techiniques for each text, so you can apply at least a couple of them to the q

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
alby said:
yeah thats what i tend to do...just know my points, then fill in the blanks when i get in there, caus they could ask anything (well for the modules anyway), & i find its easier than memorising the whole thing then having to re-arrange it all to fit the q. just remember a couple of techiniques for each text, so you can apply at least a couple of them to the q
exactly like me

Dominic

HSC
N/A
Use dot patterns. It worked a treat for me.

Basically you want to reduce the essay down to something like this:

..+.
..++.
..-

Thats a 7 paragraph essay with three stats, one quote, 3 sentences in first parra, 4 in the second, 3 in the third etc.

Much easier to committ to memory.

Once you get into the exam, draw out the dot pattern, write down the stats and quote, then the topic sentence for each paragraph. You will remember the rest from that essay outline.

Come up with your own variation but basically you want to create a legend for content with dots, dashes or plus signs... that way you have a visual road map of the structure you have planned.

Most important thing: read the fricken question and make sure the essay you have prepared answers the question asked of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)