• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to make an oral presentation interesting? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
Doing a legal presentation on euthanasia for legal studies first day back, and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the oral presentation interesting, to maximise possible marks?

nightweaver066

HSC
Have a joke on the first slide (is that possible with euthanasia?).

Have minimum text on each slide (i'm talking less than 25 words)

Use rhetorical questions.

Speak confidently, loud enough to project your voice, and vary your tone.

Keep your speech succint, clear and logical.

Don't use too fancy animations (things flying everywhere). Keep them simple and neat

Have pictures wherever possible. Maybe even replace text with them if you don't need it.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Lol'ed.
Nightweaver covered it quite well.

Also try use prezi if you aren't already (makes it much more interesting if you don't overuse the animations).

irenefu

HSC

Have minimum text on each slide (i'm talking less than 25 words)

Use rhetorical questions.

Speak confidently, loud enough to project your voice, and vary your tone.

Keep your speech succint, clear and logical.

Don't use too fancy animations (things flying everywhere). Keep them simple and neat

Have pictures wherever possible. Maybe even replace text with them if you don't need it.
THANKYOU!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Whenever you use Prezi. MAKE SURE YOUR WHOLE CLASS DOESN'T USE IT.

I got killed in Physics for using it. Turns out my whole class used it. I underestimated public education...

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
One thing I've noticed that really separates speeches is that even if they include all of the right stuff, it really comes down to the way you say it. Make sure you raise/lower your pitch for emphasis, you speak faster/slower for emphasis, leave a dramatic pause when necessary, really feel your speech and reflect that through your voice. Thats the way to keep people listening :D
...plus everything else nightweaver said :)

irenefu

HSC
One thing I've noticed that really separates speeches is that even if they include all of the right stuff, it really comes down to the way you say it. Make sure you raise/lower your pitch for emphasis, you speak faster/slower for emphasis, leave a dramatic pause when necessary, really feel your speech and reflect that through your voice. Thats the way to keep people listening :D
...plus everything else nightweaver said :)
haha yeaah i always do that in my practise runs, but when I get up to do it, I get so nervous I end up speaking really fast D:

Whenever you use Prezi. MAKE SURE YOUR WHOLE CLASS DOESN'T USE IT.

I got killed in Physics for using it. Turns out my whole class used it. I underestimated public education...
hahah well education at my school is not that great.. so should be finee :D

Gigacube

HSC
If you decide to use Prezi make sure you don't go overboard & make the audience dizzy. There's also SlideRocket.

Video clips can help keep the attention of the audience. Infographics are great for presentations as they give the audience some statistics in a nice form.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
haha yeaah i always do that in my practise runs, but when I get up to do it, I get so nervous I end up speaking really fast D:
Yeah, not much you can do about that other than practice makes perfect :) But also eye contact. Stare your marker in the eyes. That always helps with the marks :)

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Talk as if you know what you are saying but don't be disheartened when you make a mistake. Turn that mistake into a joke and everyone will be happy =)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Talk as if you know what you are saying but don't be disheartened when you make a mistake. Turn that mistake into a joke and everyone will be happy =)
True. If you forget the next line or fumble your words, laugh about it with the audience because guaranteed they'll laugh back. Never apologise for stuffing something up.

delian

HSC
N/A
Use plenty of pictures, diagrams, tables etc if you're using slide presentation.

Make sure you learn your speech well so you deliver it with confidence (not always looking at palm cards).

Practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)