How to improve in maths!? TIPS? (1 Viewer)

Tonic Note

HSC
N/A
So you want to be good at maths.
Step 1: Be Asian
Step 2: You're set. If not Asian refer to step 3.
Step 3: Practice a lot of questions and be reincarnated as an Asian in your next life jk

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
What kind of situations affecting their education?

Not everyone needs to be tutored from year 7. A subset of the population can breeze through it.

What do you mean by "making our maths kids not as smart"? Being smart is broad
The first question is easy to answer

Yes true but parents force their kids to do it even if they don't wanna do it

An example of this is giving students formula sheets in exams. If you forget a formula, your fault for not studying hard enough/not practicing enough questions. I find that formula sheets are a backup for kids that don't study for exams and just wing it on the spot

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
"Well ppl say 4U's hard to self learn" implies that 4U can be self-learnt but difficult for the general population.

If you believe it's literally impossible for yourself, then you will never know your true potential.

Do you know why parents force their kids to do it?
Parents (not all parents) would force their kids to go tutoring as early as year 7 because they want their kids to do well, whether it's a "serious" year or a "non-serious" year. They want their kids to get all A's especially for maths english and science. Why else would you ask me parad0xica?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
So you want to be good at maths.
Step 1: Be Asian
Step 2: You're set. If not Asian refer to step 3.
Step 3: Practice a lot of questions and be reincarnated as an Asian in your next life jk
Sorry but not all asians are good at maths ahahahahaha

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
The first question is easy to answer

Yes true but parents force their kids to do it even if they don't wanna do it

An example of this is giving students formula sheets in exams. If you forget a formula, your fault for not studying hard enough/not practicing enough questions. I find that formula sheets are a backup for kids that don't study for exams and just wing it on the spot
The question is in response to "I think that's becoz they've got situations affecting their education" but now I'm thinking twice on what this quote is responding to on Drongoski's post... are you responding to how some students will never understand a mathematical concept no matter how hard they try or how some students fool arounds, etc?

What's your point in bringing in parents forcing their children to get tutored?

Formula sheets are there to aid in memory of formulas. You should not be tested for memorising a formula, rather to be assessed on your ability to apply a formula in obscure and creative ways. I would award students who demonstrate superior reasoning abilities and have no memory of any formulas (bit extreme, ay?) than a student who memorises all formulas and has difficulty applying them.

What is the point in having tools and equipment if you cannot build the house?

Parents (not all parents) would force their kids to go tutoring as early as year 7 because they want their kids to do well, whether it's a "serious" year or a "non-serious" year. They want their kids to get all A's especially for maths english and science. Why else would you ask me parad0xica?
Don't worry, I lost my train of thought on this, lol

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Why do you think the 'top' maths coaching centres have a screening process? Why do you think they weed out some students?
I never actually thought about this carefully, lol.

They have a screening process to filter less advanced students or to put the student in the right class.

Reasons to weed out some students:

1. The tutoring centres don't want you to waste money if your child cannot handle their pace.

2. They do this to boost their recognition, credibility and income. With a population of let's say "above-average intelligence", these students will most likely excel in their studies from tutoring and thus giving the tutoring centre a better name, evident by what they get in the HSC. This would attract more people since they think going to this tutoring centre will yield brilliant marks. However, to prevent the influx of mathematically-inept students ruining their image through unspectacular marks, the screening process is used.

3. An exception is Ngo & Sons where they filter out unwilling students since there are so many applicants and people waiting in queue. i.e. lack of supply for excess demand.

Why doesn't the 'top' maths coaching centres accept mathematically-inept students?

I have touched a bit on this but let's suppose they let in these students. Since they are mathematically-inept, then it is likely that the teachers will find it hard to teach them even if the class is at a reasonably low pace.
Eventually, these students will leave due to poor teaching quality, thereby having a detrimental effect on the coaching centre's reputation through word of mouth, online review, etc. (i.e. revealing the true teaching quality of some employees.)

It could be that the teachers are there for only the money and do not care much about the student's progress, so it is better to accept bright students since they are easy to teach.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this topic.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I never actually thought about this carefully, lol.

They have a screening process to filter less advanced students or to put the student in the right class.

Reasons to weed out some students:

1. The tutoring centres don't want you to waste money if your child cannot handle their pace.

2. They do this to boost their recognition, credibility and income. With a population of let's say "above-average intelligence", these students will most likely excel in their studies from tutoring and thus giving the tutoring centre a better name, evident by what they get in the HSC. This would attract more people since they think going to this tutoring centre will yield brilliant marks. However, to prevent the influx of mathematically-inept students ruining their image through unspectacular marks, the screening process is used.

3. An exception is Ngo & Sons where they filter out unwilling students since there are so many applicants and people waiting in queue. i.e. lack of supply for excess demand.

Why doesn't the 'top' maths coaching centres accept mathematically-inept students?

I have touched a bit on this but let's suppose they let in these students. Since they are mathematically-inept, then it is likely that the teachers will find it hard to teach them even if the class is at a reasonably low pace.
Eventually, these students will leave due to poor teaching quality, thereby having a detrimental effect on the coaching centre's reputation through word of mouth, online review, etc. (i.e. revealing the true teaching quality of some employees.)

It could be that the teachers are there for only the money and do not care much about the student's progress, so it is better to accept bright students since they are easy to teach.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this topic.
1. That actually depends on the tutoring centre you go to, although there are centres which see you as a money source in that sense where hey charge you high rates

2. Not necessarily, a tutoring centre with good results does not mean that it could benefit everyone. Look at Dr Du's case and how he yields half of the maths state ranks (overall). Does this neccearily boost his reputation, I guess so in that sense but a tutoring centre cannot get students marks.It's up to the student and his/her hard work in order to get those marks and no one else.

3. May I ask but do you go to Ngo and Sons? The statement you made about how they want to filter lazy kids is true however your comment about how many applicant there are and people waiting in queue is not true. Long time ago, there used to be long waiting lists of like at least 150 students per cohort and now there are 10 classes per cohort (in the Fairfield Campus) and they've got an additional campus in parramatta in order to sustain the student population. Believe it or not Ngo and Sons normally doesn't accept students for their senior years mainly because they accelerate heavily in the junior years and late last year I enrolled and got in and I have seen in the classes (especially the lower classes) there are spaces remaining. Therefore does Ngo and Sons have so many people on the waiting list? I'm afraid not (given they have 10 classes in the fairfield campus and an extra campus in parramatta with at least 3 extra classes and 50 seats in the classroom with 40 seats already filled)

Believe it or not, the "top" maths tutoring centres in Sydney (i.e. Dr Du, Ngo and Sons, Kurt) do accept lower students but put them in the lowest classes possible and in some cases, if the student has shown no improvement and has received extensive assistance, then the centre would usually cancel the students place. Why? They don't feel the student is capable and no matter what they try to do, they can't help him/her so there's no point on them staying, not because they want good reputation. A lot of centres have bad results, in fact some do publish bad results (e.g. Ngo and Sons) but like I said above who's fault is it if you fail your exams and such?

And I'd like to say bad teaching doesn't mean bad results believe it or not. Also there are tutoring centres which train their staff to ensure, that they teach in an effective manner? Your comment about lower achievers being harder to teach is nil, because you seem to be saying that to all the low achievers, but what if they work hard, learn from their mistakes and such?

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
1. That actually depends on the tutoring centre you go to, although there are centres which see you as a money source in that sense where hey charge you high rates

2. Not necessarily, a tutoring centre with good results does not mean that it could benefit everyone. Look at Dr Du's case and how he yields half of the maths state ranks (overall). Does this neccearily boost his reputation, I guess so in that sense but a tutoring centre cannot get students marks.It's up to the student and his/her hard work in order to get those marks and no one else.

3. May I ask but do you go to Ngo and Sons? The statement you made about how they want to filter lazy kids is true however your comment about how many applicant there are and people waiting in queue is not true. Long time ago, there used to be long waiting lists of like at least 150 students per cohort and now there are 10 classes per cohort (in the Fairfield Campus) and they've got an additional campus in parramatta in order to sustain the student population. Believe it or not Ngo and Sons normally doesn't accept students for their senior years mainly because they accelerate heavily in the junior years and late last year I enrolled and got in and I have seen in the classes (especially the lower classes) there are spaces remaining. Therefore does Ngo and Sons have so many people on the waiting list? I'm afraid not (given they have 10 classes in the fairfield campus and an extra campus in parramatta with at least 3 extra classes and 50 seats in the classroom with 40 seats already filled)

Believe it or not, the "top" maths tutoring centres in Sydney (i.e. Dr Du, Ngo and Sons, Kurt) do accept lower students but put them in the lowest classes possible and in some cases, if the student has shown no improvement and has received extensive assistance, then the centre would usually cancel the students place. Why? They don't feel the student is capable and no matter what they try to do, they can't help him/her so there's no point on them staying, not because they want good reputation. A lot of centres have bad results, in fact some do publish bad results (e.g. Ngo and Sons) but like I said above who's fault is it if you fail your exams and such?

And I'd like to say bad teaching doesn't mean bad results believe it or not. Also there are tutoring centres which train their staff to ensure, that they teach in an effective manner? Your comment about lower achievers being harder to teach is nil, because you seem to be saying that to all the low achievers, but what if they work hard, learn from their mistakes and such?
1. I'm saying this is a possible reason for weeding out some students, so it can apply to some or all. You have essentially agreed with me.

2. I did not say it benefits everyone. I said it attracts more brilliant students and since they will most likely get the high marks, it puts an illusion making people think it's all the tutor's work. Of course it's individual hard work that gets the marks but tutoring makes the learning process more easier.

3. I studied there years ago (and I would not send my children there) but still thought the waiting list is still insane. Guess I'm wrong.

We are talking about tutoring centres where they do not accept extremely weak students. With your point on lower achievers, you have essentially backed up my point 1). So all the blame is shifted to the student? What about the tutoring environment? What about the tutor's approachability? Back then, Ngo & Sons were tough and it would be hard to approach them. So where does the student go for help if the tutor cannot provide?

Lower achievers are obviously harder to teach than higher achievers. They find it difficult to piece together what the teacher is talking about. An incompetent teacher will make this process even worse. Is the amount of low achievers which are strivers even significant?

Question is, why do you think the 'top' coaching centres weed out some students?

Last edited:

medicinestudent

HSC
OP doing extension suggests that you're willing to put in the time and effort to succeed in maths. This and natural aptitude is going to contribute towards your marks. By continually practicing questions and writing notes, you'll see tremendous improvement over the course of 2 years. But remember, Ext1 is made to be slightly challenging. So if you're passionate, get started on topics in the holidays - I learnt circle geometry by myself before i began yr 11.

On the subject of 4u, lol don't even think about it until you start 3u. One step at a time. (Although I would say mathematical aptitude and creativity plays a big role here)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)