How to improve discovery essay? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, I just got back my midcourse exam for the english exam, a discovery essay on 'Go Back to Where You Came From'. I did terribly, I got only 9/ 15 and am really upset. What is most upsetting is that I really tried hard to fix the problems I had with practice essays I had done for the teacher, but I've got an even more worse mark!!!
I really need to improve. I love English and really wanted to get a band 6 (is this possible if?), but my teacher keeps saying that my essay needs to be more detailed and sustained and that my related text didn't work.
the exam gave the question in advance, so I really tried hard to make it detailed and clearly analyse scenes from the text. I'm really disappointed, and would appreciate any tips to get over this abysmal mark, and improve at discovery.
For example, if someone could post sample paragraph of any english discovery essay with a detailed analysis of their text and related would be really helpful.
Also, does anyone have ideas for some discovery related texts (not a film), and also how do you analyse it in depth.
Also, in my grade, half the english classes do my text and the other half do another text, but we get the same assessments but it is marked by different teachers. the teachers who teach the other text in the other classes tend to be more lenient in their marking according to my friend. is this fair, because the teachers I have are much more experienced, but much more harsher markers.

domonique

HSC
I was in the same boat as you towards the end of year 11, man. I just started committing to 1/2 essays a month. I'd hand them into all English teachers I could get my hands on and make them absolutely perfect before I moved onto more essay statements.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
Hi everyone, I just got back my midcourse exam for the english exam, a discovery essay on 'Go Back to Where You Came From'. I did terribly, I got only 9/ 15 and am really upset. What is most upsetting is that I really tried hard to fix the problems I had with practice essays I had done for the teacher, but I've got an even more worse mark!!!
I really need to improve. I love English and really wanted to get a band 6 (is this possible if?), but my teacher keeps saying that my essay needs to be more detailed and sustained and that my related text didn't work.
the exam gave the question in advance, so I really tried hard to make it detailed and clearly analyse scenes from the text. I'm really disappointed, and would appreciate any tips to get over this abysmal mark, and improve at discovery.
For example, if someone could post sample paragraph of any english discovery essay with a detailed analysis of their text and related would be really helpful.
Also, does anyone have ideas for some discovery related texts (not a film), and also how do you analyse it in depth.
Also, in my grade, half the english classes do my text and the other half do another text, but we get the same assessments but it is marked by different teachers. the teachers who teach the other text in the other classes tend to be more lenient in their marking according to my friend. is this fair, because the teachers I have are much more experienced, but much more harsher markers.
Maybe provide an example of your thesis / body paragraphs?

eddie4

HSC
Practice makes perfect. So keep practicing. Never concentrate on class marks when you write an essay. Never try to right a good essay. Your subconscious will be shut down, when you concentrate on external approval . You have to know that subconscious is the source of your creativity.

--------
http://www.essayshop.org

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)