how to get a job in starbucks or gloria jeans'? (1 Viewer)

amime

I noe gloria jeans' can apply online but there's always some "internal error" when im trying to send my resume off ~~ any other suggestions? And how's the interview like?

VLTURBO

HSC
I am working at gloria jeans and i got the job by walking into the store and asking if there were any positions.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
starbucks at capitol square, has a sign up inside saying they need cockle bay and haymarket baristas... so hand in your resume there or enquire within

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i work at gloria's aswel, i got my job thru an ad in the newspaper

but usually you just hand ur resume in coz internet takes too long to process and also they like ppl who dont mind having a chat

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
do you have to have barista exp...don't they train you?

Skeeta

HSC
the store i'm working at is brand new.. they had to train everyone. They said that they basically picked everyone that had an outgoing personality - im the only one that had any experience in food (working at maccas and a hosp certif)

but they train everyone really well there

kow_dude

HSC
Skeeta said:
the store i'm working at is brand new.. they had to train everyone. They said that they basically picked everyone that had an outgoing personality - im the only one that had any experience in food (working at maccas and a hosp certif)

but they train everyone really well there
What store are you working in?

law_stud

HSC
N/A
starbucks!

wait - let me get this straight

[total job noob]

If i want to get a job at my local starbucks, all I have to do is saunter in and say to the manager, "hey! howz it going, I'd love to work here, are you looking for any casuals at the moment?

a] yes - I respond with "well I have no training" - what do I do?!

b] no - I respond with, "hey, no worries - here's my resume, please let me know if you're looking for someone - thanks!
- uhh, what the hell kind of resume do i give and what should it say? some one page resume adequate?

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
why don't you do a barista course if you really really want the job..then atleast you have teh skills they need.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes

a] yes. then no. they won't expect you to have training
b] yes

Maybe just walk up, introduce yourself, ask for the manager. If not available, ask when you can come back. To the manager introduce yourself again, present a copy of your resume and say you're interested in working there.

nicksta_40

HSC
i work at GJ's, just handed in resume 1 day,got called back a few days later, interviewed and started nxt day. It does help if u have baristing skills, but not a prerequisite. U start out at the bottom doing register, then cold drinks, then assisting the barista (BA), the baristing, then crew leader etc...Took me about 4months b4 getting taught how to barist

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok i must be dumb, whats baristing? is that like serving drinks to people?

law_stud, yes keep it to one page,and have an extra page for references, going over 1 page in a resume is suicidal

nicksta_40

HSC
baristing is heating the milk for the coffee, pouring it, etc. Harder than it sounds...U also have to get the grounded coffee, filter it through the machine, add appropriate syrups and powders, stir it 2gether, heat the milk, pour it etc

Bananaman

HSC
N/A
It depends on the place, because of the different owners. The Gloria Jeans I used to work at just advertised in the local paper, while it was being built. I didnt mind the work.. I got trained up on barista/barista assist straight away.. But the owner was a bit.. eh.. evil? and we did have conflicts between staff since everyone else was very loud and the oldest person was like 22

textbook

HSC
N/A
choco said:
do you have to have barista exp...don't they train you?
They will train you if you don't have barista experience.

karoooh

HSC
How long does it take for you to remember how to make most/all the cold drinks?

Cos I'm looking at the recipe sheet and there's a lot there. And at our store, we use the pumps instead of the crathco - I'm just curious; which one's easier to use?

iwannarock

HSC
be christian and go to hillsong church.

or just write it on your resume.

i'm sure it won't hurt.

Skeeta

HSC
karoooh said:
How long does it take for you to remember how to make most/all the cold drinks?

Cos I'm looking at the recipe sheet and there's a lot there. And at our store, we use the pumps instead of the crathco - I'm just curious; which one's easier to use?
The crathco is easier to use when your making drinks, because you make up the batches of mocha chiller etc in bulk, so you dont have to remember an extra thing.

BUT the crathco's are the bane of my existence because they need to be drained, cleaned, washed and put together again EVERY DAY *sigh*

But i'm not really aware of how the pumps work.

~eZZa~

HSC
I work at starbucks and basically walked in and filled out a form. Then i had to have 2 interviews, as do most people who want to work in the company

As for training you go to paid training in a hotel in the city for 4 days where u learn all the basics, and once in store someone will show you the ropes

Don't worry! Starbucks has soooo many drinks that even now i dont know every drink after more than half a year there.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)