How to fix a damaged cd (1 Viewer)

Huss

HSC
N/A
While installing hitman 2 it decides to stop installing and the "estimeated time left for the instalation" just keeps goin up.

is there a way to fix it or is the cd gooooone

ohh and b4 huy or winston come and shoot me i have win xp, its a pirate copy...um yeah and a hell of alotta problems on my comp....:p

Winston

HSC
first of all how on earth is the CD Damaged, its not physically damages, and i suppose ur hitman 2 is *cough* copied *cough* as well?, if so probably the data is corrupted did i t install fine b4?

Huss

HSC
N/A
well the cd isnot scratched and no tis has never installed b4 on my pc but has on someone else b4 i got it

well the cd isnt exactly original *cough* but the instalation just stops.
i think its the damaged data on the cd...

Winston

HSC
well i think its the cab files that are corrupted in the cd then

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huss
so there is no way to fix it?
www.blindwrite.com

Select 'nibble' mode - make sure you have a fast CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) drive, and ensure that you are patient. Because if the CD is heavily damaged, then it will slow down to a crawl upon reading those pits.

Start by making sure that you clean the CD from the inner circle, going in straight lines outward (like the sun's rays). Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe any dust and fingerprints, but do not rub or clean the CD in circles (a spiral pattern), go in straight lines, radiating from the inner 'hole' outward.

I recommend VSO software, in particular BlindWrite to read damaged CDs.

BlindWrite extracts all the characteristics of your media to your harddrive to reproduce a workable copy of your media. It allows you to protect your investments against damages caused by children, scratches or problems caused by frequent usage.
It is a must-have if you've got fairly old, or damaged CDs that cannot be read by other applications - try it :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
hey thanx huy...ill give it a go and tell u if it works :)
Sure no problem, whenever I have CDs that are scratched, I dump the image and fire up CDRWIN (or use BlindWrite, not BlindRead, included in the download package at VSO) - or even Alcohol 120% to mount the image if you don't want to burn it.

It works a treat IMO :)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Yeah i was gonna suggest alcohol.
Which you can get legally off one of the last two apc magazines (cant remember if it was this month or last)

Huy

HSC
N/A
this sounds stupid but what does imo mean :confused:
In My Opinion.

IMHO = In My Honest (or Humble) Opinion.

Huss

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
In My Opinion.

IMHO = In My Honest (or Humble) Opinion.
ok thanx

btw this blindwrite will fix any data damaged in the cd back to 100%???

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
> man i sound stupid :p

Yes. Yes, you do.

In My Opinion.

Umm... This works for me:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/iso/deadcd.iso
mount -o loop ~/iso/deadcd.iso /mnt/tmp

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
ok thanx

btw this blindwrite will fix any data damaged in the cd back to 100%???
It depends on the damage.

It's not going to mend a broken CD, it won't fill any scratches with polycarbonate and re-write any 0's or 1's.

But what it will do is read the surface very slowly, able to read each pit (sector) and is able to create an image which you will then be able to write or mount using Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% and other applications.

It doesn't guarantee that you can find a 10 year old CD, which has been run over a thousand times, and is able to playback the same CD at the original quality, as though it had been freshly burnt.

You have to be realistic - the more damage that the CD has endured, the harder it is to recover files. If you have a few fingerprints, light scratches then you might have a better chance.

Don't expect "100%" if you're starting off with a CD which can playback 2% of the time (therefore 98% of the disc = FUBARed)

Huss

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
> man i sound stupid :p

Yes. Yes, you do.
im wondering what i did to get that...

Originally posted by Huy
It depends on the damage.

It's not going to mend a broken CD, it won't fill any scratches with polycarbonate and re-write any 0's or 1's.

It doesn't guarantee that you can find a 10 year old CD, which has been run over a thousand times, and is able to playback the same CD at the original quality, as though it had been freshly burnt.

You have to be realistic - the more damage that the CD has endured, the harder it is to recover files. If you have a few fingerprints, light scratches then you might have a better chance.

Don't expect "100%" if you're starting off with a CD which can playback 2% of the time (therefore 98% of the disc = FUBARed)
dude..how dumb do u think i am....obviously if the cd has holes in it ofcourse its irrepairable.

the friggin cd was made this year, it worked on another computer but didnt on mine...dunno y? im not asking how to repair a broken cd.

well the cd isnot scratched and no tis has never installed b4 on my pc but has on someone else b4 i got it.
didnt u read that!!

all im asking is how to repair a damaged cd and i am being realistic otherwise i wouldnt have asked that question dammit

Huy

HSC
N/A
*takes two steps back and slowly leaves the room*

Huss

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
*takes two steps back and slowly leaves the room*
Huy im gonna hunt u down and sniper u in the head :p

i just wanna apologise for my outburst...today was the last day of fasting (finally) and u do tend to have a short temper on cold/windy days without eating for the day...so no hard feelings?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Huy im gonna hunt u down and sniper u in the head :p

i just wanna apologise for my outburst...today was the last day of fasting (finally) and u do tend to have a short temper on cold/windy days without eating for the day...so no hard feelings?
Sure, no hard feelings. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)