How to do this hard integral. Partial fraction (1 Viewer)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Sorry guys. Its 1, c

I'm such idiot
Don't be so hard on yourself, most of us were pretty bad starting out :).
Generally when you decompose partial fractions, you let the expression in the numerator be of a degree one less than that of the denominator; so as the denominators are quadratics the numerators are linear.

, and find the unknown coefficients.

Once you've gotten a bit more practice down you'll be able to see stuff like so - consider , and then just multiply a suitable constant in :), and can bypass the above entirely (unless they ask you specifically to find the coefficients for the fraction's numerators in decomposed form).

turntaker

HSC
Generally when you decompose partial fractions, you let the expression in the numerator be of a degree one less than that of the denominator; so as the denominators are quadratics the numerators are linear.

Once you've gotten a bit more practice down you'll be able to see stuff like so - consider , and then just multiply a suitable constant in :), and can bypass the above entirely (unless they ask you specifically to find the coefficients for the fraction's numerators in decomposed form).
Thanks man. I just can't see it in my head. It seems magical to me that you can do that.

does it mean I should drop ext 2.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Thanks man. I just can't see it in my head. It seems magical to me that you can do that.

does it mean I should drop ext 2.
No it means you need more practice :). I think that you should see how you fare after you've done your first assessment and see what happens from there. If you do well, you should keep it; if you do OK but think you could have done better, likewise, and if you did really bad don't hesitate to drop. It's all up to you though.

iStudent

HSC

There's a slightly easier way. Since there are no 'x' terms and only constants and x^2 terms you don't have to have the numerator as Ax+B and Cx+D.

Simply having them as A and B is fine. As for the reason... well it's like letting u=x^2 so that you have linear products for your denominator and solving it as usual.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
There's a slightly easier way. Since there are no 'x' terms and only constants and x^2 terms you don't have to have the numerator as Ax+B and Cx+D.

Simply having them as A and B is fine. As for the reason... well it's like letting u=x^2 so that you have linear products for your denominator and solving it as usual.
Yes, I know that, but I felt showing the generalised case might be better for turntaker given they seem to be having trouble either understanding the process - how it works - or are simply not practised enough :).

Nice explanation btw, hopefully turntaker will find it useful if they read over it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)